Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early key blank suppliers iso
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
angus1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Early key blank suppliers iso Reply with quote

So I need to make a couple of keys for my 66 type 1.
I really like the carved out "vw" keys of earlier years, but they a double grooved on one side.
I need single side groove blanks.
The blanks for the 66 look like any other key, borinnnggg
Anybody making carved blanks for the later years?
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Early key blank suppliers iso Reply with quote

Google Gabe VW key

See what he has Very Happy
65 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Early key blank suppliers iso Reply with quote

There are some SC and SG blanks on EBay as you are describing..
TonyB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Early key blank suppliers iso Reply with quote

I had bought a pair for my '62 on Amazon for $20 but they wouldn't fit so I returned them ... They looked great but they wouldn't fit ignition, door or glovebox.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Early key blank suppliers iso Reply with quote

Never order key blanks unless you know the key code first! SC, SU, SV may look similar at a glance but are definitely not the same.

I was lucky to be able to get some extra keys from VW themselves, in the early 90s, I gave them the key code from my 62 , plunked down the money, and waited for a call. A week or two later, I got the call, went to pick up my keys only to find they were blanks. I was like, "I ordered these to code, dude" and he replied, "oh, you wanted them cut? Hold on" and he went into the back room and cut them. I never heard the sound of a grinding wheel, so I wonder how their key machine worked... these are steel blanks and can't be cut like the soft plated brass ones at hardware stores (you need a much stronger cutting wheel). I know later models still used steel keys, I have an original key from my USA made 85 Golf and it is steel. Maybe they have some kind of soundproofed key cutter. Anyway, I think I got 3 of them, and I still have one of them that I've never had to use. I also sourced a couple of extra SU blanks at some point, HUF brand, but they don't look as nice/shiny as the AKS keys I had the dealer cut for me.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Early key blank suppliers iso Reply with quote

Key cutter, previous post you made:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8252683#8252683

I didn't search for a good video example but there are some videos on YouTube
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
angus1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Early key blank suppliers iso Reply with quote

Thank you for the reples.
After finding some on the bay, they are out of budget. Perhaps my lokal locksmith can help?
I only have one key
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Early key blank suppliers iso Reply with quote

There's plenty here on Samba:

quick search

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?submit=yes&type=text&keywords=key+blank
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Early key blank suppliers iso Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Key cutter, previous post you made:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8252683#8252683

I didn't search for a good video example but there are some videos on YouTube

Damn, Everett, I (obviously) had totally forgotten about that. Brick wall Still not sure if they would have still be using that thing in the early 90s.

I did, at one point, have a different steel key cut at a local locksmith shop, which is where I found out about how steel key blanks are not very compatible with run-of-the-mill key duplicator machines. He had to dust off a machine they had off to the side, with a cutting wheel designed to bite into steel blanks. Ironically, I don't know if I ever actually used that key, it's still on my keychain of spares and I'm unsure if I even have the lock it fits.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Early key blank suppliers iso Reply with quote

Not sure how you searched... there are plenty of the type described that are under $20..

As someone mentioned above, before looking for keys, it is absolutely necessary to know what key code your lock is..

SC, SG, SU, etc
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Early key blank suppliers iso Reply with quote

You can find Curtis key blanks on eBay.
Here’s the cross reference info from the Curtis code book.

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Early key blank suppliers iso Reply with quote

I think the original poster was looking for key blanks with the VW shaped logo punched out of them, did Curtus make any like that? I know there were imitators, I can't remember the name of the brand but I remember some Made in Canada keys like that, but those were plated brass keys, and not the long-lived steel keys that VW used.

angus1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Early key blank suppliers iso Reply with quote

Yes. Looking for punched out vw logo
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Early key blank suppliers iso Reply with quote

Not sure what key code a 66 has but Wolfsburg West has VW logoed keys. https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111837219ASC
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Early key blank suppliers iso Reply with quote

Some of those WW keys look OK, but I'm not sure if the plated brass ones are actually "genuine" - they might have been made under license but not matching old stock exactly. My 62 has an SU blank, that's the one where I had steels cut by the dealer, and the ones that WW shows has the VW rotated from those AKS made keys, I also have some HUF blanks with the same pattern.

Oh, I was trying to remember who made the plated brass blanks I saw in a local locksmith shop years ago, I think they were Dominion.

65 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Early key blank suppliers iso Reply with quote

It would really help if you knew what code your key is.. you can’t go buy year because PO May have switched out the ignition and locks.
65 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Early key blank suppliers iso Reply with quote

Here is link to ad selling the keys you are looking for..

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1706940
angus1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Early key blank suppliers iso Reply with quote

vdubmyk wrote:
Not sure what key code a 66 has but Wolfsburg West has VW logoed keys. https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111837219ASC

Thank you. Looks like i need su profile. I will order from ww
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Early key blank suppliers iso Reply with quote

Too bad though, that WW's blanks do not match VW original steel blanks...

vs

angus1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Early key blank suppliers iso Reply with quote

Might be a trademark thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: