Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

Spittin' image of my Toaster. 72 Deluxe Transporter converted to Camper status. I ended up with a 6 Rib and a 2.0 running Dual Dellorto 36's. Loving my setup. Heading from So Cal to Oregon on Monday just cause im getting old and better do it while I can.

I have lotsa Type 4 engine parts/heads/etc.. as well as fuel injection parts. Unfortunately out of town for a couple of weeks. Stay in touch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Grateful Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

NoBudgetVWGarage wrote:
Spittin' image of my Toaster. 72 Deluxe Transporter converted to Camper status. I ended up with a 6 Rib and a 2.0 running Dual Dellorto 36's. Loving my setup. Heading from So Cal to Oregon on Monday just cause im getting old and better do it while I can.

I have lotsa Type 4 engine parts/heads/etc.. as well as fuel injection parts. Unfortunately out of town for a couple of weeks. Stay in touch

Well thank you man! That's exciting to hear someone else has the same set up as me! I love the Westfalia interior and the Deluxe exterior. It really fits well together in my opinion!

Enjoy your trip, and hit me up when you return and Ill let ya know what all parts im still looking for Teal Bay Bus

Keep on Truckin'

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9052832#9052832
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

Grateful Bus wrote:

Yes Grateful Dead for Life!!!! In a dream would would love to drive Sunshine to a dead show like i'm sure she did in her past life!!!

Understand my man! Been there and done that too.

Eugene oregon for JGB somewheres around 93 or so
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wifes 76 deluxe that went all over the country for two years following a notorious group of pranksters and merrimen. Once sage green that was reduced to bondo-primer grey. Wheels were turnin and they cant slow down.

This was the headliner from that bus. It now lives on in Seamus (77 westy).

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

Curious...

Looks like you had decent compression all but for one cylinder. Before you tore down your engine, were you able to determine with a leak-down test why that cylinder was low?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Grateful Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

[quote="Jetfxr69"]
Grateful Bus wrote:

Wheels were turnin and they cant slow down.

If the thunder don't get ya, than the lightning will Cool Boo hoo!

Once my Pc cooperates I will have pictures up of the internals,
you will be blown away i'm sure at how the bus was running when pulled
And to answer your question the exhaust valve was detonated into the cylinder head. So its basically a dead cylinder. I believe the culprit to be the progressive carb set up the bus isn't running stiot, more on the lean side causing detonation in all 4 cylinders, and well one suffered more than the others. but long story short Both heads are needing replaced and i believe i'm just gonna use the 1.7L to build a 2.0L or purchase this 76 engine once i go look at it. but that wont be until saturday

Keep on Truckin'

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

Okay, yeah... the Type 4 heads are always the weak point on these engines.

I'm running a Weber Progressive DFEV properly jetted with a 205 S distributor on my 1973 1.7 engine. This is not the ideal set-up... but it can be made to work. Never as good as proper dual 32-36 PDSIT carbs or fuel injection.
Grateful Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

I'm just mainly after a budget build to pull a boat and get started in the vw life. as this is my primary vehicle, gave my reliable one to my GirlFriend to excuse fixing this one XD I can build a more permanent motor later while driving and making use of this wonderful bus

Grateful Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

Ok so I just got back from looking at the 2.0 engine and fuel injection system parts, I feel it will make a great start to the project.. so now my next concerns are when I go to install the engine tins/heater tubes are there any changes that will need to be made? As I have 1972 tins for my 72 bus. And the engine will be a 76, also I don't have a 091 Trans, as I have the stock 72 transmission 002 for now.. I will eventually get a 091, When my budget allows it. For the meantime how will my 002 Trans act/hold up to a 2.0 and pulling a boat? or is pulling the boat just out of the question for now and just minimal driving until I get the 091 Transmission? Just really any tips and things I should expect from taking on such a feat. Thanks again samba community!

Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

Grateful Bus wrote:

engine will be a 76, also I don't have a 091
I have the stock 72 transmission 002 for now..

Grateful,
The 2.0 does not bolt up to the 002 by virtue of its larger 228 mm clutch plate.

I am not sure that you want to tear up the 002 so you can graft an 091 bell housing onto it. I would endeavor to get an 091 while the getting is good.
Colin
JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

The engine tins, heat risers & booster fan pipes are determined by which heat exchangers are used. They will work on any late Bay. If you use the '72-74 exchangers & exhaust use the pieces that go with that set. The '75-'78 exchangers use different parts. The parts affected are the two front tins, the two pipes that connect the heat exahangers to the heat control flaps, the two pipes that connect to the booster fan hoses and the alternator bracket for support.
If you want to use the fuel injection from the '76 you'll need to add a nipple to accept the fuel return line.

This is how they came. A nipple could be added to the top of any tank or even into the filler pipe.
Also for the FI, you'll need an air cleaner stand from a late bay (circled) & to cut a rectangular hole for the ECU to mount

I think mounting an 091 bell housing on your 3 rib transmission is a reversible solution to the fitment problem. Someone else with more experience with that may chime in. I think another solution is to cut some off the end of the input shaft, but that kinda ruins that part.
JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

I forgot to mention the two lower sled tins. There are 8 metal pieces plus the alternator bracket.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

Did you read the build thread in my sig?

I would NEVER bother to convert a ‘72 to L-Jet.
So many reasons, I wouldn’t even know where to start..

This coming from a guy running L-Jet since 1988.

The only question for you is which carbs to buy.

If you want to run hard, start saving up for an 091.

What’s That Noise?!?
Grateful Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Did you read the build thread in my sig?

I would NEVER bother to convert a ‘72 to L-Jet.
So many reasons, I wouldn’t even know where to start..

This coming from a guy running L-Jet since 1988.

The only question for you is which carbs to buy.

If you want to run hard, start saving up for an 091.

Yes i read your thread, and it was very useful.

But I have heard about, and seen 72s with fuel injection. and i just feel like it would be my prefered upgrade. If in the end I truly can't get it working right i will get some dual webers.

JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

Some of us just think fuel injection is cool. Especially the old analog versions. It doesn't matter what's easier or cheaper. Owning a 40-50 year old car is a hobby. If you want it run it.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

The bears are almost gone... traded an "Oaty" for a bunch of stickers leaving a show in '90. I was 26 at that time. Now I don't even listen to music while driving now, I feel I need every one of my senses on alert so that I stand a chance against the crazed 90mph,texting,fluff heads on the road. Tour sure was fun back then.

Grateful Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

Update:
So i also need to adjust my torsion bars, any tips for that? My bus is always sagging in the rear like it is carrying a heavy load, Camber is pretty bad. Figured in the meantime of waiting on engine to be in my working space I could find more tips out. I'm about to be stripping the interior on Thursday to install the 72 westfalia interior will post pics! Pretty stoked!! Still keeping my eye out for a Sink/Icebox combo to complete the Westfalia though.

Last edited by Grateful Bus on Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
The bears are almost gone... traded an "Oaty" for a bunch of stickers leaving a show in '90. I was 26 at that time. Now I don't even listen to music while driving now, I feel I need every one of my senses on alert so that I stand a chance against the crazed 90mph,texting,fluff heads on the road. Tour sure was fun back then.

I love people who text. I restored 5 years ago, welded an I beam to the back of my Volvo wagon, and brake hard in front of texters to avoid deer

It’s good for 5 k a month tax free , plus my tow/ storage business is always first on scene.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

(!) - "Sick cars for a sick planet". I mostly drive my 77 Fury in high combat zones ( like the interstate ).
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

Grateful Bus wrote:
So i also need to adjust my torsion bars, any tips for that? My bus is always sagging in the rear, camber is pretty bad. Figured in the meantime of waiting on engine to be in my working space I could find more tips out. I'm about to be stripping the interior on Thursday to install the 72 westfalia interior will post pics! Pretty stoked!! Still keeping my eye out for a Sink/Icebox combo to complete the Westfalia though.

did you know that when no one is in the bus, it should like the rear is low? have a couple friends hop in the front seats and see if that looks better.
Grateful Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Vw BayWindow/ Sunshine :) Keep on Truckin' , Grateful Bus Reply with quote

The rear is sagging with no engine in the bus, The top of the tires are closer together, and the bottom are further apart.. So I know it's not right. I've seen other buses and mine looks like its carrying a heavy load all the time I know how to adjust it with the torsion bars. Just don't want to get hurt so asking for tips from people who have had to do the same thing. Thanks!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: