Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Way to go Volkswagen of North America
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

I just watched the video again. It seems that the cheap-skates at VWoA returned the car to her with only a half tank of gasoline! Evil or Very Mad
Bilbobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:

Why is the steering column black?. The Foot stop over the carpet is amatuerish at best.
The lady is thrilled I am sure, she'll soon realize that Anne has been violated of her birth rite. They got rid of the 67 Only front fenders and then put cheap rust O matic visors on the headlights?

Hi Stacey:

The car has the steering column black, because is a 67. The nonsense is they put a White steering Wheel that not matches. It looks like they pretend the car to look older.

I think it is a brilliant overrestoration to amaze with a lot of glow to the non experts and sell more new cars. If so, I think The target has been reached: lot of comments in Facebook and so on...
lonotch
Samba Padrino

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

I used to see that car every week parked in Solano Beach on the highway 101, I sure hope they used the OG 67 only rear bumper.

German Folks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

I've been contacted by the owner Kathleen in Cardiff to solve some of the issues she doesn't like. She really appreciated the restoration work VW Mexico put into her "Annie" and just wants it to be a reliable driver, just as she's driven for the past 52 years. She's not a purist and really likes the look of the ivory steering wheel & ivory knobs. She loves the chrome running boards. And she's not upset about the Euro 1967 headlights/fenders. The 1950's bias-ply tires will be replaced with the correct 3/4" thin whitewall radials for better driving. The 1967 will be at my workshop this weekend. All of this work is being done for free so she can continue to love her 1967 Beetle on a daily basis.

The primary focus will be on replacing the loud exhaust system with a stock one so she can hear the radio. I was able to find a stock exhaust locally with new pea shooters. Next I'll fix the driver's door with felts (unglued) falling down & inability to roll-up her door window 100%. And I will fix a lot of the little issues that I feel are worth doing. I will post an update once we get some work done.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

Applause

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

Lee Hedges wrote:
I've been contacted by the owner Kathleen in Cardiff to solve some of the issues she doesn't like. She really appreciated the restoration work VW Mexico put into her "Annie" and just wants it to be a reliable driver, just as she's driven for the past 52 years. She's not a purist and really likes the look of the ivory steering wheel & ivory knobs. She loves the chrome running boards. And she's not upset about the Euro 1967 headlights/fenders. The 1950's bias-ply tires will be replaced with the correct 3/4" thin whitewall radials for better driving. The 1967 will be at my workshop this weekend. All of this work is being done for free so she can continue to love her 1967 Beetle on a daily basis.

The primary focus will be on replacing the loud exhaust system with a stock one so she can hear the radio. I was able to find a stock exhaust locally with new pea shooters. Next I'll fix the driver's door with felts (unglued) falling down & inability to roll-up her door window 100%. And I will fix a lot of the little issues that I feel are worth doing. I will post an update once we get some work done.

And this ^^^^ does not surprise me in the least, that Lee would do this just because... that's just the kind of guy Lee is. Wish I was closer, Lee, you know I'd be down to lend a hand, or 13mm..

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

The owner drove her 1967 to my workshop this morning and left it. I figured that I'd get a lot more done if she wasn't sitting there watching me. I called a local buddy Dave MacMartin (1968 Beetle Cabriolet) to see if he wanted to take a close look at a VW Mexico restoration. Of course he did ... and I was happy to have the help. Dave finished the restoration of his VW a few years ago but he's always interested in learning.

First task was to take it for a drive. As soon as it started-up I knew exactly why the owner thought it was too loud. The Vintage Speed exhaust with J-tubes rumbled & roared through the gears. Great if you're 17 and want to be a boy-racer but not great for an elderly woman looking for her old-sounding 1500cc engine. So we disconnected the rear tin & removed the pre-heat bolts (hex head). Then we removed the exhaust nuts (12mm) & clamps. We were a bit worried that the stock muffler might not fit but our fears were unjustified. The new muffler went right into place with fresh gaskets & clamps. The traditional pea shooter exhaust note was a beautiful thing to hear!

Next was to fix the door window that wouldn't wind up 100%. After removing the door panel we saw star-shaped bolts on the outer edge of the frame that adjusted the back-edge guide & that solved the problem quickly. We removed the rusting goof-ball headlight eyebrows. I was lucky to find a set of 1966-67 stock hub caps so those got polished and installed while the silly large VW logo domed caps were tossed. The 800-miles from new 2" whitewalls cleaned-up easily with Simple Green. Spare tire area metal covers were painted black. The metal passenger footwell plate was placed under the carpet for a much cleaner look. NOS pedal pads replaced the cheap square ones. And we tossed the chrome door lock pulls in favor of a pair of ivory 1967 knobs to match the other ivory knobs. 12V decal was added to the driver's door pillar. And I even added a T34 gearshift boot (let's see if she notices) since I didn't like the exposed 13mm bolt heads. Bumpers were adjusted to be level (side-to-side). And lastly we adjusted the front hood to better grab the latch & sit flatter against the seal.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Lee Hedges on Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

Nice work!

I bet she could sell that exhaust too, those exhausts are expensive new
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

I 67' will look so much better with the awful too big white walls removed and the correct 3/4" ones installed.

Nice job helping her out!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

Bias-ply tires have been sold to a 1955 Cabriolet owner in South County San Diego. Exhaust has been sold to a low-light KG owner in North County San Diego. I'm happy these parts were able to be recycled onto other VWs that needed them.

I spoke with the owner last night and she's excited to drive her Annie again with the new stock exhaust. She wants to order the thin whitewall BF Goodrich radials as soon as possible. She's coming over today after noon so I'll get some pics of her with the Beetle.

This morning I found a 1967-only air cleaner to replace the nasty late-70's one. I will continue to add to the list of annoying things to get her 1967 Beetle looking good & making her happy with it.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

I’m not one for the eyebrows, and VS exhaust with the valve cover frying j-tubes, but I don’t get the purpose of the updates to the thread....

This is the A-typical “incorrect” “restoration” people can afford, and 90% on the site do to their car. It’s great you guys changed the pedal pads/lock pulls/shifter boot, but how is this any different than the incorrect/incomplete work VW did when you don’t have the bushings/collar around the door pull, and the boot isn’t for a Beetle?

I too didn’t like the wide whitewalls, but the BFG repops Coker sells are the last tires I would be putting on a car. If the owner drives the car, get a modern manufactured radial from Nexen/Nankang with a ww from Diamondback.

It’s great you found a 67 air cleaner, but it’s not going to make the engine appear a whole lot more “67 like” with the 36hp shroud, honk’n Pertronix dist, and chrome fuel pump.

This lady has been through a lot. All the work on her car hopefully lifted her spirits, but you’re going to need $1000’s more of donated parts, and months worth of donated time to make it back to a “correct” 67.
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

Today the owner came to get her Beetle. She loved the new quieter exhaust, loved the lower RPM idle, loves the working door window, and most of the detail work. She removed the T3 gearshift boot but agreed to paint the metal gearshift base black. She still loves the chrome bits and doesn't want them changed. So clearly she doesn't have any concern for 1967-only features. It's her car and that's fine. The main purpose of updating this thread was to help this owner fix a handful of little annoyances so she can enjoy her Beetle moving forward. Adding radial tires will be the next big change. But that's about it.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
This is the A-typical “incorrect” “restoration”

At least they didn't sent it to Chip Foose or other TV personality.

All that matters is the owner is happy.

Glad she brought it to you.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

Great work! Kudos to you for helping her get it to where she really wanted it.
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

I couldn't help buying an original 1967 air cleaner when I found a nice original one for $80 shipped. Spent today getting it cleaned-up with brightwork & decal. I'm hoping it will return a bit of class to the engine compartment when I install it this Sunday.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

Nice....

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

Air cleaner turned out great. Another kudos to you for helping her out and making her VW like she wants it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
AnnieGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

I am Kathleen, owner of "Annie." I am so very grateful to Volkswagen for the changes they made to my lifelong friend and traveling companion, Annie, and equally grateful to Lee for all his effort and hard work. He is making her purr again and replacing quite a few needed parts. There is so much I don’t know about cars, and Lee answered — with great patience — questions I had and even showed me how certain things worked. I was amazed at his efficiency and knowledge and making what he did seem so effortless. While he was doing his thing, I was cleaning up the rims the best I could. It was fun for me working on my car with someone else there. I believe in angels on Earth, and I know I have met one in Lee. Grateful. Appreciative. Thankful. That is me. 💕
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

Welcome Kathleen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to go Volkswagen of North America Reply with quote

Over the past couple weeks I've worked to find the needed parts for this cute little Ruby Red Beetle. Thanks to Chadd Magee in Georgia & Wolfsburg West I found everything on the list. Work Day #2 was basically installing the list of small parts. But before we started working Kathleen drove me to a great lunch for Cinco de Mayo along her beach in Cardiff. Can't work on an empty stomach, right?

When we returned Kathleen got her sun hat & chrome polish and got right to work polishing the chrome rims & hub caps. I got to work replacing the black dash knobs with ivory ones to match the ones already there since Kathleen really loves her ivory steering wheel. Yes, they are not authentic for 1967 but they are at least matching. Collars for the door lock knobs & the chrome window washer nozzle were quick installs. Next was installing the restored air cleaner & tossing the plastic 2000-era Beetle one with paper filter. I think it looks so much better! VW Mexico replaced the German bolts with star-pattern ones, making it difficult to remove without the right tool. Fortunately Dave had what we needed & the NOS locking decklid handle, door latches, & NOS ignition switch all went in pretty smoothly.

Kathleen has chosen 195R15 radial tires, as she had them mounted previously and loved the ride. So the wide white wall bias-ply tires will soon be removed. [the crowd cheers]

Another special thing that happened during lunch was courtesy another Samba member, Chuck Kloster from Iowa. Chuck is the caretaker for an original Ruby Red 1966 Beetle and has been following this thread. Since his Beetle Eleanor shares a similar history with Annie he decided to send her a great book called "The Little Red Volks". Eleanor was the first owner of Chuck's 1966 and she drove it 40 years until selling it to Chuck when she turned 85. It's a great story and one that applies so well to Kathleen & Annie. Thanks for making her day, Chuck!

Last edited by Lee Hedges on Sun May 05, 2019 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: