Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

stupid question...why is there a general parts category and a high performance category? are old rusty tins really high performance? what about 40 hp intake gaskets? or old dead stock wore out distributors? or stock rocker arms? in the first 2 pages of high performance parts about 90% are old stock wore out crap. do they think is they put it in the general parts we will know it's old wore out crap? yes I know that's more than 1 stupid question....but what else do I have to ask a stupid question about stupid people Shocked Confused ...tere Im done....for now Wink
fustilarsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Would using higher octane fuel cause an increase in stop-sign stalls?
Daughter read the fuel door (which says to use 91 octane) and so rounded up to 93 (which is available here, but not 91) and then noticed that engine started occasionally stalling while in neutral and the car is stopped for a moment at a stop sign.

If higher-octane fuel can withstand more pressure before igniting, then perhaps at low RPM, it just doesn't ignite? No, it's the spark plugs that ignite the fuel, right? (That's why this is in the Stupid Question Thread.)
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

fustilarsic wrote:
Would using higher octane fuel cause an increase in stop-sign stalls?

I very much doubt that this has anything to do with the fuel's higher octane rating.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

in a spark-ignition engine you can safely use any fuel with an octane number higher than the mimimum recommended by the manufacturer without consequences, either positive or negative. On the other hand, if you go lower, you'll experience detonation (pre-ignition) or dieseling (engine running after shutoff due to residual heat), and that's definitely on the bad side.

that's for the octane number theory.

now what can happen when using a "modern" gasoline in an older car, is that the additives used to increase the octane number (no more TEL unfortunately Very Happy ) or, if present, the ethanol mixed in in the gas, will soften old gums and varnishes present in the fuel system and bring them straight to the carburettor, where they may obstruct passages and jets, resulting in a worse idle.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
fustilarsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
now what can happen when using a "modern" gasoline in an older car, is that the additives used to increase the octane number (no more TEL unfortunately Very Happy ) or, if present, the ethanol mixed in in the gas, will soften old gums and varnishes present in the fuel system and bring them straight to the carburettor, where they may obstruct passages and jets, resulting in a worse idle.

So, I think what I'm hearing is that she'll go back to the lower-octane fuel for a couple of tanks and see if that makes a difference, and if not, start looking for other possible causes.

(She's quoting Muir at me already, so I think she knows what she wants to do next after changing back to the lower-octane fuel.)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I'd rather clean the carb and put a fuel filter along the line from the tank to the pump.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Has anyone had luck restoring a late super beetle sun visor? Aftermarket visors aren't sold for curved windshield hardtop supers and I'm trying to figure out if there's a way without destroying it.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr.Aleckz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I recently put got my 69' back on the road. Im making my way through all the problems. Next on the list is the rear end.

Problem: the car sits uneven in the rear.

question: what repair thread am i searching for and what else should i be replacing while im back there.

thanks
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Mr.Aleckz wrote:
I recently put got my 69' back on the road. Im making my way through all the problems. Next on the list is the rear end.

Problem: the car sits uneven in the rear.

question: what repair thread am i searching for and what else should i be replacing while im back there.

thanks

Indexing, index or re-index the rear torsion bars. Those are the search terms.

My ride height was off by an inch one side to the other and I suspect it was from the prior owner's work in lowering the rear. The inner splines and the outer splines of the torsion bars have different magnitudes of effect when playing with the level of the car.

Here is a link to the page in my build thread where I fixed that. I think it would be a great opportunity to replace the torsion bushings as long as you are going in there.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=180
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Volt01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

My beetle won't start, its a 75 fuel injection. it turns over 3 times but won't catch. after 3 times it won't start and you have to wait awhile to do it again.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Volt01 wrote:
My beetle won't start, its a 75 fuel injection. it turns over 3 times but won't catch. after 3 times it won't start and you have to wait awhile to do it again.

Yours is not a stupid question. If your battery is fully charged and you don't find some troubleshooting ideas in the linked fuel injection information thread below, you should post a dedicated question.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=671131
Dal Churchill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I changed an outer CV boot, put the car away, cleared up all the tools, jack etc and noticed that I've left out a concave washer (it was stuck in the old boot).

Before I get everything out and tear it all down again, how critical is that washer? I'm just trying to avoid pissing myself off too much by doing something that's not strictly necessary. Confused

It's No.9 in the diagram below.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Dal Churchill on Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

I believe it's very important, since that's a location that endures some serious stress and pressures as power is transferred to the wheels. Just my 2c.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
I believe it's very important, since that's a location that endures some serious stress and pressures as power is transferred to the wheels. Just my 2c.

X2

You need to tear it back down and get it in there, as designed. It keeps the CV from sliding around on the axle. Seen a few where DIYers left it out.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

To be more specific, the concave washer preloads the axle to the CV joint center to prevent the axle sliding in and out of the CV, thus wearing the axle and joint splines or possibly popping the circlip (11) off. It is basically a Belleville washer.
Dal Churchill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
To be more specific, the concave washer preloads the axle to the CV joint center to prevent the axle sliding in and out of the CV, thus wearing the axle and joint splines or possibly popping the circlip (11) off. It is basically a Belleville washer.

Perfect. Explanation of it's mechanical value makes it a worthwhile task and I will tackle it tomorrow morning as it's only 6 bolts and a circlip.

Thanks for all the replies! Smile
Dal Churchill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Done! The circlip is just slightly harder to get on now so preloaded, yep.

Not sure how the racers fare with their deleted circlips and machined off shoulders but for mine it makes sense to keep it stock.

Thanks again!
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Dal Churchill wrote:
Not sure how the racers fare with their deleted circlips and machined off shoulders but for mine it makes sense to keep it stock

Racers tend to disassemble and rebuild or replace items at least once per race season: far more often than one would with a stock daily or Sunday driver. Factor in different operating environments and requirements, and it starts to turn into an apples and oranges comparison.
Dal Churchill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Dal Churchill wrote:
Not sure how the racers fare with their deleted circlips and machined off shoulders but for mine it makes sense to keep it stock

Racers tend to disassemble and rebuild or replace items at least once per race season: far more often than one would with a stock daily or Sunday driver. Factor in different operating environments and requirements, and it starts to turn into an apples and oranges comparison.

Agreed, that's what I meant about keeping mine stock. I was just wondering how much damage would be done by allowing the splines to move in and out and how long before the parts became unserviceable. For example, people throw their hands up in horror if you don't change the rubber boot as soon as it gets a nick in it. Well my boot has been completely split all the way around for the past 4 annual inspections. I only changed it this time as it was literally hanging off in bits. There was no play or wear in the CV and the grease was clean even though the car is regularly driven on dusty/rocky tracks. But any way, it's done now and one less thing to worry about. Smile
tdilella
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

can anyone tell me what was in the 1976 jack and tool kit?

76 convertible super
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Page 66 of 129

Jump to: