Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Current battery ground strap.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oc63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Current battery ground strap. Reply with quote

Does this look like it could be cleaned up and used again or should I just replace it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My food baby is crowning.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Current battery ground strap. Reply with quote

Clean and reuse. The braided wire straps like those only need replaced if they are cut, frayed, or have a fair amount of corrosion.
oc63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Current battery ground strap. Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Clean and reuse. The braided wire straps like those only need replaced if they are cut, frayed, or have a fair amount of corrosion.

Thanks!

My food baby is crowning.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Current battery ground strap. Reply with quote

Looks pretty good to me.

I have cleaned up one like that before with no issues.

Soak it in a baking soda/water mixture if you want to see it fizzle as it eats away all the battery acid.
Coke supposedly works great too but I haven't tried it.

I usually do that, then wire brush it afterward.
I use a small copper brush for minimal damage

Transmission strap here but I'm pretty sure I did this one on my '63:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Current battery ground strap. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Looks pretty good to me. Soak it in a baking soda/water mixture if you want to see it fizzle as it eats away all the battery acid.

Then rinse it well with water and let it dry before installing. Clean off any stuff with wire brush.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Current battery ground strap. Reply with quote

use a soft wire brush, a hand type, not a power type. steel wool works too. The copper strands can be broke by too aggressive brush, so power tools are not advised for this.
brushing the copper is for pretty looks, brushing the clamp and soldered contact area removes oxide, thus allowing a better connection at the ends, this is for function

Bug On

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Current battery ground strap. Reply with quote

I'm more on the side of soaking it in a high-base solution. That will neutralize any acids built up.

This does not need to be like shiny like a new copper plated penny. That looks nice but who looks under the back seat. As long as the webbing is not going to get eaten by acid, it will do the job. I'd focus more on how clean it bolts to the frame and battery.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Current battery ground strap. Reply with quote

Also apply some conductive type of grease to the connections will help reduce future corrosion.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Current battery ground strap. Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Also apply some conductive type of grease to the connections will help reduce future corrosion.

Alternatively, liberally coat the outside of the clean and tight completed connections with plain ol' bearing or universal grease to keep corrosion out. Can be a bit messy, but no special grease is needed.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Current battery ground strap. Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
gt1953 wrote:

.........no special grease is needed.

Don't let Eric&Barb hear ya talkin' like that. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: