Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Pressure and carburetor settings (Brosol 34 pic 3)
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cancelja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Fuel Pressure and carburetor settings (Brosol 34 pic 3) Reply with quote

PostPosted: Today 4:17 pm Post subject: Fuel Pressure and carburetor settings
Had my 1970 Bug Beetle 1600 dp working in perfect condition. It had a Brosol 34 pic 3 carburetor working perfectly.

Tried to install a set of dual Kadrons HD 40/44 and replaced the mechanical pump by an electrical pump to control pressure and also to move away fuel components from the mechanical compartment

Heard about electrical pumps and decided to replace the mechanical pump by an electrical one with a pressure regulator. Bought a Derale electric rotary pump from CB Performance and installed a Holley 12-804 fuel pressure regulator. According to Holley specs this is a 1-4 psi regulator which would be perfect for my project.

Installed the Kadrons and almost immediately noticed they were not was I expected. Switched back to my old single Brosol 34

But now I have two issues:

1) Never got my carburetor working as before. Did not change any setting but is not able to keep idle speed and very hesitant during acceleration

2) I am not able to set fuel pressure below 2.5psi with the fuel regulator.

However disconnected fuel pump to discard the pressure issue but the idle stays the same.

Please provide me some ideas where to look for because Im having a HARD time with my bug
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pressure and carburetor settings (Brosol 34 pic 3) Reply with quote

cancelja wrote:
Please provide me some ideas where to look...

Check for vacuum leaks between carb & manifold, around the rubber boots where the manifold enters the cast end pieces and where the end pieces attach to the heads. You did use all new gaskets when you changed back to the Brosol, didn't you?

You might also try going back to the mechanical fuel pump.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
cancelja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pressure and carburetor settings (Brosol 34 pic 3) Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
cancelja wrote:
Please provide me some ideas where to look...

Check for vacuum leaks between carb & manifold, around the rubber boots where the manifold enters the cast end pieces and where the end pieces attach to the heads. You did use all new gaskets when you changed back to the Brosol, didn't you?

You might also try going back to the mechanical fuel pump.

I used new gaskets for the indeed manifold. I used the green ones (gasket material) and use some gasket adhesive on them. I wasn't very sure of the gasket adhesive on this material....
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pressure and carburetor settings (Brosol 34 pic 3) Reply with quote

This is a recurring theme: "I changed my old, working stuff for completely unknown stuff, and now it works worse."

I too would be looking for vacuum leaks, or something that wasn't plugged back where it should be...eliminate variables until you find the issue. Did you change the timing when you changed carbs? Did the Kads have a provision for vacuum advance? Change distributors? Did something get into the carb awhile it was off? Checked the idle jet yet?

Let this serve as a warning to all those who think 50-yr old German stuff is less reliable than stuff made in China yesterday: IT ISN'T. And a lot of times, it seems that you can't even fix the problem, it was manufactured wrong.

A stock mechanical pump can feed Kads just fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: