Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

torque spec for front caliber bracket bolt?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
amyshannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: torque spec for front caliber bracket bolt? Reply with quote

Anyone have proper torque spec? it was on dam tight.....info I am getting from google search is all over the place from 115 to 225
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: torque spec for front caliber bracket bolt? Reply with quote

Year and model car helps a lot on these requests, since this forum covers T4, T5, T6 with chassis breaks, too.

For my 2002 T4 it’s 280Nm

I lube the crap out of them and set them to 180Nm
amyshannon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: torque spec for front caliber bracket bolt? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Year and model car helps a lot on these requests, since this forum covers T4, T5, T6 with chassis breaks, too.

It is a 2002 Eurovan MV weekender
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: torque spec for front caliber bracket bolt? Reply with quote

amyshannon wrote:
Abscate wrote:

It is a 2002 Eurovan MV weekender

YEah, but what colour is it? Colorado Red?

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Same year and model as mine - see torque spec above (from Alldata)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I live in the salty Northeast so I lube everything, which reduces required torque for tightening.
garthg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: torque spec for front caliber bracket bolt? Reply with quote

amyshannon wrote:
Anyone have proper torque spec? it was on dam tight.....info I am getting from google search is all over the place from 115 to 225

It's 355Nm/261 foot lbs, for the large brakes with 16" wheels. This is from the factory manual.

I don't have a torque wrench that goes that high (only 250 ft-lbs), so I just use a 25" breaker bar with 27mm socket, and tighten it as much as I can.

I have a set of new bolts that I'll be using on the next brake job. $8 each at VW.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: torque spec for front caliber bracket bolt? Reply with quote

The brake caliper bolt on mine is not 27mm socket size.

Are we on the same page of the manual as OP?
garthg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: torque spec for front caliber bracket bolt? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

VW used several different brake calipers, using Lucas, Ate and others.

My Eurovan is 2002, late model, brakes referred to in the manual as "FNR" for 16" wheels. Brake disc diameter is 313mm.
The bolts are definitely 27mm; I just double-checked the replacement bolts. I also remember that's what the originals are also, because I cracked an impact socket trying to remove them in the first instance.

The torque spec is 355Nm. I've attached a screen grab of the manual.

And to the OP, I would add that you shouldn't be "lubing" the brake caliper bracket bolts. Those are the last bolts on the car that you would want to come loose.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: torque spec for front caliber bracket bolt? Reply with quote

garthg wrote:
Abscate wrote:

VW used several different brake calipers, using Lucas, Ate and others.

My Eurovan is 2002, late model, brakes referred to in the manual as "FNR" for 16" wheels. Brake disc diameter is 313mm.
The bolts are definitely 27mm; I just double-checked the replacement bolts. I also remember that's what the originals are also, because I cracked an impact socket trying to remove them in the first instance.

The torque spec is 355Nm. I've attached a screen grab of the manual.

And to the OP, I would add that you shouldn't be "lubing" the brake caliper bracket bolts. Those are the last bolts on the car that you would want to come loose.

Garth, thanks for the primary reference post back. Good reminder to me that sourcing parts is not a year / model game any more.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: