Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I guess I mean my setup is simpler in that there is less change of air flow to deal with. Mine gets scooped and immediately is forced through the radiator core. And also follows the natural path of heat rising.

With these other setups, the air is getting scooped, pushed up above the core, and then has to go back down to get through the core. So in my view, it sure seems like the air is making more turns before it actually passes through the radiator core.

But, as was said, there is a lot more going on underneath a Bus than one would first imagine.

I hear you, but to me it seems like a tomato/tomato sort of thing.

Your setup still has to scoop the air to get it to turn up and go through the core, and then it has to turn again to disperse around between the frame rail and floor.

Mine just scoops the air and pushes it up higher into the frame first, where it then has to turn down to go through the core and disperse from there.

Again I'm not an air flow dynamics expert by any means, but I don't know if one is particularly more difficult than the other. But maybe that's just my perception. I think tilting the radiator one way or the other could help a lot, but at least for the way mines mounted, it complicates things more. So long as I continue to see the good performance I'm getting now, I'm likely calling mine "done". I will probably still get the go-pro out some time and see what else I can learn. Who knows, I might find something that will make me change it again, but I'm starting to doubt that Laughing

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Well I've owned this thing for almost two years now, and I'm just now FINALLY getting around to polishing the paint on it.

From the very beginning I wanted this "dream Bus" in my head to be an original paint Bus. I'm a big fan of polishing out the original single stage paint which gives it a great shine while keeping all the age and patina to the look. But up till this point I've kept myself too busy on this thing with suspension, engine, and transmission changes, that I never did anything but a normal wash here and there.... until now.

Saturday morning I made a quick trip over to my "local" Harbor Freight with my freshly printed 20% off coupon, and picked myself up a 7" Chicago Electric polish. The very best China has to offer! No ideal how long this tool will ultimately last, but for the money it seems to perform very well (and reviews well online). Armed with my new polisher and some Maguires mirror glaze, I went to town to see if I could coax back some shine in the 45 year old paint. For someone who has ZERO experience doing anything like this, I'm proceeding quite cautiously. I knew I was going to loose some more red in the process since it was very heavily oxidized. But so far its cleaning up well and holding its own. I'm pretty sure I could have used some compound with a bit more tooth, but sill I'm wanting to take it slow and easy. So far I think its turning out GREAT! Got the drivers side cleaned up pretty well, but I certainly still have my work cut out for me this week to knock out the rest of the Bus. Quite a lot of surface area when you really get after it LOL

A few pics

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The compound I'm using

I'm VERY happy that the old American flag decal stood up well. I was worried that it might loose out to the polisher, but so far the paint in between the decal buffed right up, "and the flag was still there" Laughing

I'll post some completed shots when I finish it. Hoping to get it all knocked out this week and reassembled before the meetup at Mix'd Up Burgers in ATL on Saturday. Wish me luck!

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

soissisc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Looking good!

68 Westy
92 Jetta (oh it is retired)
99 Eurovan
05 NBC
06 Audi A3
72 Westy (I am going to fix it up)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Well I finally got all of the polishing done (we'll mostly). I'm going to do some more work on the roof, but I need to get my hands on some different compound I think. The rest of the exterior is done though, and good coat of wax afterwards. MAN is there a lot of surface area on these things LOL. We are ready for Bugapaluza next weekend in Chattanooga!

A few more pics for the thread. I found it to be VERY beneficial to remove everything I could from the surface of the Bus. The less pieces to work around the better. Makes for a much easier time working and making the body finish even as possible.

I didn't include a picture before in my previous post, but here is the cheapo HF polisher I'm using. I can't complain about its performance at all. If I did this stuff everyday professionally I'd probably buy something name brand and more costly, but for my purposes this thing did VERY well.

Here are a couple more shots I took along the way. This first pic I really like, as it very clearly shows the difference in the finish from polishing. The rear quarter here was done, but the rest was untouched. Quite a huge change from where it started.

I didn't end up with a ton of red left on the rear after it was done. It was pretty faded to start, and obviously heavily oxidized. Looks killer to me though.

I was getting pretty close to being done here. Polished and waxed on this side. In all, I probably polished each side at least twice (if not more in some areas). After I was happy with the finished, I followed it up with some hand waxing to seal it up.

It was quite rewarding getting it all done and driving it over to the in-laws this weekend for our Easter festivities. The temps were nice and the sun was shining. Great day to be out in the Bus.

A little more angle for the reflection Laughing

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Haven't updated the thread lately... just been driving the wheels off the Bus.

Took it up to Chattanooga for the Bugapaluza this year. Had a blast. My longest trip in it so far (albeit not crazy long), but it ran pretty well flawless the entire time, expect for a minor fuse problem that killed my rad fans on the way home. Pulled off the road for a quick fix, and I was back on my way in less than 5 minutes. Basically a self induced problem Laughing

Also been hitting up local shows close to home.. Cruise the Coop, Caffeine & Octane, etc, etc. I've gotten a lot of great feedback on the swap from all types of folks. Lots of questions, comments, and people poking all over checking things out. This is a pretty typical scene around the Bus. A steady stream of people one after another.

More random pics on my gallery. Here are a few of my recent favorites.

So what's up next... we'll, more refinement. With all the miles I've been putting on the Bus, I've got a real good feel for how well everything is working. I think I'd put the cooling system right at about 95% in its current form. That said, I think I've optimized the current radiator about as far as I can. Got a few theories in regards to its configuration and how it performs, and how to improve it. Picked up another radiator to test those out (slightly larger core size, different tube size and orientation). That will be the next "big" change on it. Past that I hope to finally start poking at the AC idea too Cool

67 Beetle (TBD)

dumptuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:

I like the patina heart on the rear hatch Very Happy
a1steaksauce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Saw you at the bugapaluza and the pictures don’t do it justice! Love the paint work as well. I need to get busy on polishing mine. I was at the show in the early bay with the awning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

dumptuck wrote:
Vee Dub Nut wrote:

I like the patina heart on the rear hatch Very Happy

Ha! I hadn't noticed that before. Now I can't stop seeing it Laughing

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

a1steaksauce wrote:
Saw you at the bugapaluza and the pictures don’t do it justice! Love the paint work as well. I need to get busy on polishing mine. I was at the show in the early bay with the awning.

Right on, thanks! Its come a long way from where I started. Certainly not perfect by any means, but it sure hits all the marks for me. I'll be adding an awning and roof rack to it very soon!

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Started working on radiator v2.0 last night. Modified the mounts, and started removing the filler neck. Need to finish that, relocate the in/out pipes, and then weld it all back up. Hopefully I can get it mounted this weekend.

This core is ~25% larger than my current radiator, but more importantly has a different tube size and core arrangement. I've got some theories as to what sort of changes this might make, but we'll see what it actually does once I get it mounted. Should go basically right in the same spot as the current radiator.

In an ideal world I'd like to get rid of my current air scoop all together. There are folks here (including Skills) who appear to be having success without one. Right now my current setup is pretty dependent on it. Anxious to see what sort of changes I might see with this new radiator (if any, fingers crossed LOL)

67 Beetle (TBD)

orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

There are a lot of patina horrors out there, particularly the painted on rust and various other versions of fakery. I also don't get heroic attempts at preserving OG paint only to end up with a bus that looks like crap. I'm usually not a fan, but to me your bus is an exception and a good example of how patina should be done, or rather not done, ie faked.

I like the mix of wear and tear with the buffed out shiny original parts. Honest and crisp original body lines. Glad the flag stayed on. Awesome bus. Smile
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Vee dub nut,

I’m watching. I did my conversion several years ago and have always been tempted to upgrade my radiator but haven’t needed to. I would like to go all aluminum for peace of mind in terms of durability.

Where did you get this most recent rad for the 2.0?

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:
There are folks here (including Skills) who appear to be having success without one.

I use a scoop. I think I can get away without one but haven't tried.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Vee Dub Nut wrote:
There are folks here (including Skills) who appear to be having success without one.

I use a scoop. I think I can get away without one but haven't tried.

OH ok.. I was under the impression that you didn't. Thanks for chiming in!

I tried my current setup without the scoop, but it didn't work nearly as well as it does with the scoop. It obviously plays a big role in the current layouts functionality.

My current layout for all intents and purposes works OK, but there are a few things/operating conditions where I *think* I can make it better. We'll see..

67 Beetle (TBD)

Last edited by Vee Dub Nut on Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Sloride wrote:
Vee dub nut,

I’m watching. I did my conversion several years ago and have always been tempted to upgrade my radiator but haven’t needed to. I would like to go all aluminum for peace of mind in terms of durability.

Where did you get this most recent rad for the 2.0?

I'll post more details on the rad when I determine if its actually worth mentioning.. this might be a wild goose chase, but I had to see if the changes would make a difference. Obviously the larger core should be a no brainer, but the tube size and core orientation are theoreticals right now.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
There are a lot of patina horrors out there, particularly the painted on rust and various other versions of fakery. I also don't get heroic attempts at preserving OG paint only to end up with a bus that looks like crap. I'm usually not a fan, but to me your bus is an exception and a good example of how patina should be done, or rather not done, ie faked.

I like the mix of wear and tear with the buffed out shiny original parts. Honest and crisp original body lines. Glad the flag stayed on. Awesome bus. Smile

Thanks for the props!

I sought out an original paint Bus just for this reason. Didn't want anything too far gone, just a nice solid, straight, and original Bus. Scored big time when I found this one. I'm very happy with how its come out (and that the flag hung in there too!)

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Guess its time for my "monthly"-ish update

Still haven't gotten my updated radiator finished. Its pretty well been on the back burner between work/life, with any shop time being focused on getting the DTM shroud fitted to the old T4 motor so that I can get my Bug back on the road. That said, I did get all the old in/out tubes and radiator cap holes welded up in the tank. I don't plan to add the new in/out tubes until I can get the radiator itself fitted up under the Bus to make sure I get them in the most optimum spot. Getting a little more comfortable with my aluminum welding, but still a ways to go to make them super pretty. I get some good ones down sometimes, then the next ones not so much. Still a bit hit or miss.

The biggest change in the Bus lately has been the addition of a new full length rack (oh and I guess the awning too since my last post). I've been planning a rack for this thing from the beginning, and now that the swap is essentially done, it was time to get that sorted.

I had originally planned to get one from Chad (builidriversteelwerks) down in FL, but after contacting him, he told me that he wasn't building them anymore. I then considered building my own, but the realities of time and space to do so kicked in, so I've been keeping an eye out for another source.

While at the Bugapaluza a few months back, I ended up meeting Jerry Carpenter of Tanbugwerks. He builds racks of all styles for air-cooled VW's, and turned out he only lived about 40 minutes down the road from me. I spoke with him at the show about what I was looking for, he showed me some pictures of his work, and then we exchanged information. A few weeks later I gave him the go ahead to start building me an HWE style full length rack and ladder. He builds to order, and there were other orders ahead of me, but he put me on the list. Over the course of several weeks my order made it to the front of the line, he got material, and then started building my rack. Yesterday I finally got to go pick it all up. Weather was really crap for taking the Bus out with off and on rain, but I was too excited to wait, and I didn't want my rack taking up space in his shop any longer than needed.

He sells them raw, so I still need to prep and paint it, but I'm supper happy with how it turned out. Grabbed this pic on the way home (right before the sky let loose again).

Made my way over to the in-laws to meet up with the wifey and kiddos, where the sun poked out so I could get a few more with the ladder on it too.

Overall I'm really happy with how it came out. I plan to paint it grey here pretty soon. I'm first going to modify the side ladder a bit. I want to get the bottom of the ladder supported down off the lower rocker area for more strength, so I'm going to get some more tube and extend the ladder down where the legs of the ladder turn back towards the rocker and with a couple more feet there. I'm a pretty big guy, and the current lowest leg position pushes too much on the side panel of the body for my taste. Probably not an issue for someone smaller than me, but at 6'5" and 250lbs, I want to keep all that force on the really strong parts of the body. I'll post more pics when its modified. Hopefully I'll get the radiator finished and installed shortly too.

All for now!

67 Beetle (TBD)

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Looking good! I’m a big fan of the ARB, is that the 2500 with the Go Westy mounting brackets?
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Looking good! I’m a big fan of the ARB, is that the 2500 with the Go Westy mounting brackets?

Yup, that's the 2500 with the GoWesty mounts. I'm probably going to make some awning mounts that go off the rack eventually. That would give me a few more inches in height between the ground and awning closer up to the Bus.

Here is a pic with the awning deployed (pre-rack). Makes for a HUGE shady area to chill out under.

67 Beetle (TBD)

TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Nice rack!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 22

Jump to: