Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sound Deadening
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agarden7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Sound Deadening Reply with quote

Hey everyone, would love an opinion or two.

Ordered a rear carpet kit for my square. My last square, the main carpet peice simply laid in place. I’ve heard about a technique to mount the main peice to a sheet of melamine so it can slide in and out leaving simple access to the motor. Has anyone tried this before? Secondly, do you think adding some deadening to the underside of the melamine panel will help a lot with cabin sound from the motor? I don’t have a lot of experience with deadening material so I’d appreciate any feedback. Thanks so much in advance.
Intrinsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Sound Deadening Reply with quote

We used the Q Mat on our Fastback. It has worked very well, easy to install, durable and also has no asphalt or rubber smell. I would highly recommend this product. Here is a link.

https://soundqubed.com/product-category/accessories/sound-dampener/
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Sound Deadening Reply with quote

Intrinsic wrote:
We used the Q Mat on our Fastback. It has worked very well, easy to install, durable and also has no asphalt or rubber smell. I would highly recommend this product. Here is a link.

https://soundqubed.com/product-category/accessories/sound-dampener/

second that, thats the best stuff and I've used a lot of different ones over the years
Agarden7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Sound Deadening Reply with quote

Awesome. Thanks guys. Seems high quality and cost effective. I’ll give it a shot. Appreciate it.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Sound Deadening Reply with quote

I'm not sure putting sound mat to the underside of the melamine will be as effective. I think it is designed to be applied to the actual sheet metal. It's a dampener, not insulation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Agarden7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Sound Deadening Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
I'm not sure putting sound mat to the underside of the melamine will be as effective. I think it is designed to be applied to the actual sheet metal. It's a dampener, not insulation.

Makes sense. hmmm its not terribly loud but figured i would try to deaden as much as possible. Maybe I can throw a layer on the trunk and engine lid instead and let the carpet just rest on that. For $50 its worth the shot. Just trying to determine the best approach. Thanks for the info.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Sound Deadening Reply with quote

I had a squareback with a custom wood deck on the engine deck & it wouldn't slide out easily & was eventually abandoned as too much trouble to use!
Don't cut your melamine too wide. Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: