Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

62DoKaGuy wrote:

Have you considered borrowing one from anyone local, even a VW shop? Kieft en Klok might have one to borrow/rent out.

I have 2 split busses which need the pin replacement (one needs it right now, and the other someday in the future). And since bushings will keep wearing, I kinda see it more as an investment rather than an expense (in the sense that it repays itself the more you use it, instead of having to rent it) Laughing.
It's like with so many repair jobs: the tools are often the most expensive factor to consider in the process (besides labor of course if you would have to pay someone to do it for you); the replacement parts themselves are usually very affordable (since they are VW parts Very Happy)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

Anybody know where you can buy the appropriate sized drift for removing the bushings?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Anybody know where you can buy the appropriate sized drift for removing the bushings?

You can use a section of all thread rod, some washers, nuts, and a large socket to make a puller to remove the bushings. Look at the front suspension part of the workshop manual for how to remove the upper bushings. How they made a washer with two flat sides to tilt to get inside and pull the bushings out.

Like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You use the large socket to act as a spacer to allow pulling out the bushing into the inside of the socket.
BJ1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

No need to use any kind of drift and hammer. Just make up a piece of threaded rod and washers as above and use a socket slightly smaller than the housing to pull the old bearings out and the new ones back in. No bad language, no battered bearings and can be done easily with the beam in the bus. This method means that you can place the bearings accurately in relation to the grease point and bring the top bearing down to where it should be - a couple of mm above the top of the housing.
I've been doing this for over 40 years and have never used a hammer and drift!
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:

The old worn out pin had lost its function as such, and the kit I bought included a new pin, so I took my old pin and ground down the end of it with a grinder so it has a diameter of just a little under the bushing's outer diameter (the yellow tape is to center the pin in the shaft as you hit the pin with the hammer to drift the bushings out). Worked for me, I jacked the front end of the bus up high enough to do the job with the beam still in place (whack it like you mean it with a large heavy hammer but make sure the drift stays absolutely centered Exclamation ).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Troytempest69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

Great write up...about to try this myself soon. Has any tried VW part number 133513471 as a suitable replacement pinch bolt?
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

I just did the center pin in my truck this week. Here are my notes:

The Drift or an Air Hmmer were insufficient to move my bushings out. I used a length of ¾” threaded rod, 4 big washers and a socket. Welded the nut to one end. Works perfect pulling or installing bushings. Lube and screw with a 1 1/8 socket on a ½” drive. Use a pipe for more leverage. No problems.

Reaming with a new straight flute hand reamer went well, although registering the reamer initially in the beam was hard to keep straight and still, even with a lead in on the reamer. The lower bush seems not as tight as the top bush, which is a firm push with the fingers to move the pin in the bushing. I was thinking to make a fixture off the lower beam to clamp and set the reamer so it is perfectly aligned with the center pin. Then you would not have any unwanted motion during reaming. Any ideas?

Also, I think if your pre fit the new pin/bushings without the wavy washer,seal and cap, you can mark the pin and swing lever rotationally to make assy easier for the bolt to line up. I scribe the bushings also so they go in the right direction.
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

Quote:
Reaming with a new straight flute hand reamer went well, although registering the reamer initially in the beam was hard to keep straight and still, even with a lead in on the reamer.

That is why I do the whole thing in two steps:

1. remove and replave one of the old bushings and use the other old bushing as a guide for the reamer.

2. Replace the second bushing and use the first bushing as a guide for the second bushing.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

mdege wrote:

1. remove and replave one of the old bushings and use the other old bushing as a guide for the reamer.

2. Replace the second bushing and use the first bushing as a guide for the second bushing.

Which old bushing first do you recommend, top or bottom?
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

Quote:
mdege wrote:

That might work better if the beam was out of the bus, but the issue is there is no way to control the reaming, such that both bushings are in perfect alignment with each other. If you do them separately the chances of perfect alignment is not good as opposed to reaming both in 1 pass. A fixture is the way to go, in my opinion
MicBergsma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

Hey everyone I just made a video...

Link

Instagram > http://bit.ly/2gHjIOV
Facebook > http://bit.ly/2Q9atMs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Troytempest69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

Following on from my last post. The bolt I ordered had just arrived. VW part number 133513471

The pic shows my original (chewed up bolt), the longer replacement febi bolt and this new VW bolt - longer than the original and retaining the longer non threaded part. The new part is 10.9 strength and the original looks like 8.6.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

Just make sure you dont run out of threads before the swing lever gets clamped to the center pin. May need a washer to get the unthreaded portion the right length, compared to the factory bolt
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

Troytempest69 wrote:
Following on from my last post. The bolt I ordered had just arrived. VW part number 133513471

The pic shows my original (chewed up bolt), the longer replacement febi bolt and this new VW bolt - longer than the original and retaining the longer non threaded part.

I would not use that bolt. As mentioned, it surely looks like it will bottom out before you can get any kind of proper torque on it. I would not take that chance myself (or on a customer's bus).
at the very minimum you should bench test tightening it to the proper torque spec in the pivot arm before installing it "for real" on the bus.

have a look through this post: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3978791#3978791
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

Could use a threading die to make a few more threads.
Troytempest69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments....beam is currently on my kitchen table so will test fit before using.
BoogPBR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

Anyone ran into this on a CB Beam? Am I missing something?
drooper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

No pics, but I recall replacing my 71 bus pin 7 - 8 years ago and thought I did everything right. Even so, there was always side-to-side play on the wheel. All other components were changed, and I just thought that this was as good as it gets. The steering box is set up properly, all ball joints are new, etc. Yesterday, while up on jack stands, I can see that although the pin and bracket seem solid, the pitman arm pitches (rocks) up and down as I turn the wheel. I don't thhink I ever noticed this before.

Could I have assembled this together incorrectly? Wrong torque? Bad arm? Any ideas? Should I re-do the pin and bushings on this stock beam?

Ideas and comments welcome. BTW, I don't think the steering wheel olay has changed at all from when the pin was changed. I just got tired of hearing my son complain about it and thought I'd take another look.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

drooper wrote:
I can see that although the pin and bracket seem solid, the pitman arm pitches (rocks) up and down as I turn the wheel. I don't thhink I ever noticed this before.

After replacing my pin, it's tight as can be, and steering is precise without endplay on the arm on top of the pin "rocking up" (I've also installed a Creative Engineering steering kit by the way, that helps a lot as well).

So something's off on yours I suspect.

Last edited by tisius on Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:07 am; edited 2 times in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Center Pin Replacement (Long, MANY pics) Reply with quote

drooper wrote:
No pics, but I recall replacing my 71 bus pin 7 - 8 years ago and thought I did everything right. Even so, there was always side-to-side play on the wheel. All other components were changed, and I just thought that this was as good as it gets. The steering box is set up properly, all ball joints are new, etc. Yesterday, while up on jack stands, I can see that although the pin and bracket seem solid, the pitman arm pitches (rocks) up and down as I turn the wheel. I don't thhink I ever noticed this before.

Could I have assembled this together incorrectly? Wrong torque? Bad arm? Any ideas? Should I re-do the pin and bushings on this stock beam?

Ideas and comments welcome. BTW, I don't think the steering wheel olay has changed at all from when the pin was changed. I just got tired of hearing my son complain about it and thought I'd take another look.

Pitman arm is on the side of the steering box. Think maybe you mean the swing lever arm on the center pin?? If so it just might need the nut/bolt tightened to clamp the swing lever arm tighter onto the center pin. Problem is the inside of the swing lever arm by now may have worn on the center pin, and so that one of those parts may need to be replaced.

It is a good idea to check stuff like this now and then to see if something needs to be re-tightened. Especially soon after replacing parts, that if they do fall apart could make for a drastic change in someones life.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: