Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will split window 14” wheel fit on split bus having 15” wheels?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toooldschool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Will split window 14” wheel fit on split bus having 15” wheels? Reply with quote

Please keep all replies to this topic focused specifically on 14” FACTORY VW BUS wheel clearance issues, when mounting these factory split window bus 14” wheels on an early split window bus, one designed to use either factory equipped 15” bus wheels or 16” bus wheels.

VW factory Bay window 14” wheels should be considered identical to a 14” split window bus wheel - there are pre existing topics you can post a separate debate if you care there, thank you.

Do not include wheel mounting issues regarding non factory suspensions or lowered suspensions - there are pre existing topics you can post that debate there, thank you.

I hope the Samba collective will answer/clarify/establish if 14” bus wheels DO or DO NOT foul, rub, or otherwise have any issues when mounted on earlier split busses designed for 15” or 16” wheels - please elaborate on all known issues - for example: shock rubbing, fender lip touching, steering arm fouling - example pictures would be helpful.

14” tire sizes are a factor too, so please post what 14” tires mounted on a stock 14” bus wheel work best when adapted on to buses having factory installed 15” & 16” wheels.
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Will split window 14” wheel fit on split bus having 15” wheels? Reply with quote

Yes.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Will split window 14” wheel fit on split bus having 15” wheels? Reply with quote

Yes. This bus came with 15’s but using 14’s with knobbies

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Will split window 14” wheel fit on split bus having 15” wheels? Reply with quote

I'm not aware of any issues on Buses originally equipped with 15" wheels and I have done that before with stock-sized 14" wheels with radial tires.

16" wheels would be a Barndoor Bus.

In the front I remember trying that on my old '55 and the wheel would rub on the uppermost zerk fittings for the spindles.

Blurry photo but the big fitting sticking out of the top here:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Toooldschool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Will split window 14” wheel fit on split bus having 15” wheels? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the outer tie rod, the one that attaches to the kingpin spindle used with 15” wheels, has that outer tie rod fouled the rim, when 14” wheels are retrofitted on to an early split bus originally having factory installed 15” wheels, or 16” wheels?

Has anyone experienced fouling of a 14” tire sidewall on either the front beam, torsion arms, shocks or body panels ?

I haven’t seen a post discussing basic issues when one swaps 14” wheels on to earlier split buses having factory installed 15” or 16” (barn door) wheels.

Thank you samba folks for posting your first hand knowledge in one easy to find post that could be helpful guide to newbies and oldies alike.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Will split window 14” wheel fit on split bus having 15” wheels? Reply with quote

I have run 14 rims with 185R14 tires on a '61 bus which came with 15" rims from the factory. They work just fine.

185R14 is a radial tire that is roughly the same size as the original bias ply 7.00-14 tires.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Will split window 14” wheel fit on split bus having 15” wheels? Reply with quote

59 with 14's and BFG's.

Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Will split window 14” wheel fit on split bus having 15” wheels? Reply with quote

That sure was ( is ? ) a nice Bus....Ran 195 14" on my 58 SC with zero issues.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Will split window 14” wheel fit on split bus having 15” wheels? Reply with quote

Doesn't running larger than stock or smaller than stock tires mess with the speedometer?

It was the case with my 1966 SO44 that runs stock 14" tires but I discovered someone had installed a 1962 (15" eral) speedometer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Will split window 14” wheel fit on split bus having 15” wheels? Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Doesn't running larger than stock or smaller than stock tires mess with the speedometer?

It was the case with my 1966 SO44 that runs stock 14" tires but I discovered someone had installed a 1962 (15" eral) speedometer.

Yes. It can be re-calibrated to register correctly.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Will split window 14” wheel fit on split bus having 15” wheels? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I'm not aware of any issues on Buses originally equipped with 15" wheels and I have done that before with stock-sized 14" wheels with radial tires.

16" wheels would be a Barndoor Bus.

In the front I remember trying that on my old '55 and the wheel would rub on the uppermost zerk fittings for the spindles.

I found that as well. I put 14" bus rims on a 53 truck once and there was a rub issue. IIRC, it worked okay in the back. But that was a while ago, and I just wanted something to put on it while the 16" rims were being cleaned up and new tires put on.
15" bug rims worked fine, as did 15" bus rims.

14" bus rims work fine on buses that came with 15" rims.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Will split window 14” wheel fit on split bus having 15” wheels? Reply with quote

Toooldschool wrote:
Please keep all replies to this topic focused specifically on 14” FACTORY VW BUS wheel clearance issues, when mounting these factory split window bus 14” wheels on an early split window bus, one designed to use either factory equipped 15” bus wheels or 16” bus wheels.

Problem with your question is that the "Wheel" is an assembly of parts, rim, tire (radial or bias ply), valve stem or tube.

EG we have run 205/75R15s radials on the front of our 1963 SC and 1960 walk thru panel camper to keep speedo correct as possible and non-rubbing. With 195R15 or 215/75R15 or even 235/75R15 on the SC or the walk thru when wheel wells were cut out, on the rear axle for slightly higher fourth gear cruising speed @ 3,000 RPM. None of those three mentioned radial tires were FACTORY STOCK for 1960-63 era bus.

Would bet there are modern day radial 14" tires that are wide enough to cause a problem on the front axle and earlier rear narrower wheel wells that were a pre-later 1962 model year item.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: