Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop top Conversion HELP! Top Won't Sit Flat
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dgiand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Pop top Conversion HELP! Top Won't Sit Flat Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of adding a pop top to my 87 wolfsburg. The Top is from a 1981. Luggage rack in in place, Back hinges are mounted, Hole is cut. I've been following this method:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...ee1c8162e1

After installing the hinges and cutting the hole the top doesn't seem to want to sit flat, there is about a half inch gap all the way around. I've tried adjusting the rear hinges, and cut the tabs off the push bar.

Any Help would be appreciated, I'm a metal fabricator by trade so I can easily handle modifying the hinges/brackets if need be.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Kombi///M3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top Conversion HELP! Top Won't Sit Flat Reply with quote

You didn’t mention if you just cut the hole in your existing roof or you
Transfer the Westy roof.
Ok I see it now you mentioned ( hole is cut)..

If you just cut the hole.. did you flattened the rear corners of the roof
to mount the hinges? Looks like the rear hinges are not closing fully.
Pics of it open from the back so we can see.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top Conversion HELP! Top Won't Sit Flat Reply with quote

Did you notice this part in the thread you linked? Did you trim or bend the interfering tab out of the way?

Mark

msewalson wrote:

The tab on support arm was bottoming out on tin top roof section and preventing top from fully closing.

Easy fix, just hack it off.

Kombi///M3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top Conversion HELP! Top Won't Sit Flat Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
Did you notice this part in the thread you linked? Did you trim or bend the interfering tab out of the way?

Mark

msewalson wrote:

The tab on support arm was bottoming out on tin top roof section and preventing top from fully closing.

Easy fix, just hack it off.

Bang on!! Good eye.🧐 that would be one of the prob for sure.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top Conversion HELP! Top Won't Sit Flat Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

Dgiand wrote:
I've tried adjusting the rear hinges, and cut the tabs off the push bar.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Kombi///M3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top Conversion HELP! Top Won't Sit Flat Reply with quote

I did check his old thread.. doesn’t look like he flattened the rear corners..
I see I had a post on his thread about it too.

This is How I flattened/ massaged the rear hinges mounting location.
1. While the rear hinges mounted already. Trace the bottom part that sits
on the roof with pencil.
2. Unbolt the hinges
3. Use wife’s hair dryer.. heat up the paint a little to prevent cranks.
4. Have a 2x4 wood short enough that you can hold on the then end
Tape the other end with electrical tape.. few rounds. May not be necessary
But I did it, prevent scratching and such.
5. Place the taped end side ways the 1 3/4 part of the wood to the traced
Bottom of the hinges start from one side. Have a hammer or mallet to hit
Wood lightly but enough to dent it slightly. Do it until the hinges are in 90
Deg angle.
I forgot to mention, you don’t have to take the poptop off to do this, just support the middle rear with 2x4’s. And when your placing the the 2x4 tapped
Side on the roof.. make sure your 90* angle. Hope that helps. Good luck!
Bobs ur uncle!
Good luck!
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top Conversion HELP! Top Won't Sit Flat Reply with quote

+ 1 on the hammering down the rear corners. I did so and here’s how tight my top is. About 5000 miles driving works perfect you’ll get it!!

davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top Conversion HELP! Top Won't Sit Flat Reply with quote

I disagree on trying to flatten the rear hinge area. That hinge telescopes and can move up and down independent of the front top position. I put 2 tops on using this method and didn't need to flatten that area. It is binding somewhere else.

It is hard to see if the lift posts are attached at the bottom and limiting travel. You could see how flat it lays without those bars installed to determine if they are getting in the way.

But the front latch looks like it is holding the top up some too. There is a bit of adjustment in the latch itself and then in your 3rd picture it looks like you have a plate of steel or a spacer or something between the latch and the roof tin. You shouldn't have anything there. The mounting plate lines up with the roof reinforcement and lays directly on the outer roof skin.

I think when you get it laying flat and nothing binding, the rear gap will take care of itself.
Dgiand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top Conversion HELP! Top Won't Sit Flat Reply with quote

Kombi///M3 wrote:
I did check his old thread.. doesn’t look like he flattened the rear corners..
I see I had a post on his thread about it too.

This is How I flattened/ massaged the rear hinges mounting location.
1. While the rear hinges mounted already. Trace the bottom part that sits
on the roof with pencil.
2. Unbolt the hinges
3. Use wife’s hair dryer.. heat up the paint a little to prevent cranks.
4. Have a 2x4 wood short enough that you can hold on the then end
Tape the other end with electrical tape.. few rounds. May not be necessary
But I did it, prevent scratching and such.
5. Place the taped end side ways the 1 3/4 part of the wood to the traced
Bottom of the hinges start from one side. Have a hammer or mallet to hit
Wood lightly but enough to dent it slightly. Do it until the hinges are in 90
Deg angle.
I forgot to mention, you don’t have to take the poptop off to do this, just support the middle rear with 2x4’s. And when your placing the the 2x4 tapped
Side on the roof.. make sure your 90* angle. Hope that helps. Good luck!
Bobs ur uncle!
Good luck!

Thanks! I'll have to give this a try
Dgiand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top Conversion HELP! Top Won't Sit Flat Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
I disagree on trying to flatten the rear hinge area. That hinge telescopes and can move up and down independent of the front top position. I put 2 tops on using this method and didn't need to flatten that area. It is binding somewhere else.

It is hard to see if the lift posts are attached at the bottom and limiting travel. You could see how flat it lays without those bars installed to determine if they are getting in the way.

But the front latch looks like it is holding the top up some too. There is a bit of adjustment in the latch itself and then in your 3rd picture it looks like you have a plate of steel or a spacer or something between the latch and the roof tin. You shouldn't have anything there. The mounting plate lines up with the roof reinforcement and lays directly on the outer roof skin.

I think when you get it laying flat and nothing binding, the rear gap will take care of itself.

How does the adjustment on the rear hinges work for the up and down adjustment? The Front latch is clamped directly to the roof of the van, It is sitting on one of the raised areas of the roof though, Thats where it lines up.

Nothing seems to be binding anywhere else.

I should mention the push bar is not yet installed to the van, not sure if this would make a difference.
Kombi///M3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top Conversion HELP! Top Won't Sit Flat Reply with quote

Flattened a one full length ( one hit at the time) then place the hinges on top
To check. Doesn’t take much to get it to 90 so keep
Checking.
Before you do this.. take a pic of the hinges from the rear
Showing the slight angle. And the right angle for comparison.
Just for future reference.
Cheers!

Last edited by Kombi///M3 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top Conversion HELP! Top Won't Sit Flat Reply with quote

if possible, can you remove both rear hinges to see how it sits on the roof?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top Conversion HELP! Top Won't Sit Flat Reply with quote

Dgiand wrote:

How does the adjustment on the rear hinges work for the up and down adjustment?

The Front latch is clamped directly to the roof of the van, It is sitting on one of the raised areas of the roof though, Thats where it lines up.

Nothing seems to be binding anywhere else.

I should mention the push bar is not yet installed to the van, not sure if this would make a difference.

If you had the top off and upside down you can see that the hinges collapse more than they need to for the top to lay flat on the roof. You might be able to see that in this pic.

There is some front to rear adjustment where the hinges bolt/down, plus the bolts on the side attaching the hinge to the fiberglass may give some play.

You can get a gap at the back if everything is not lined up right, but for me it was just trial and error to find a spot where everything was good.

If the lower mounts on the push up bar are not mounted, then they should not be causing any of your front and side gap but I can't tell for sure from the picture if they are interfering.

I don't think the latch of the early fiberglass tops is any different from later years (I used one early and one late one on my 2 conversions), so I'm still suspecting something going on with the front latch. If you temporarily remove the front latch altogether, does the top lay flat? And did you trial fit it without any the rear hinges and latch and did it lay flat?
weswsimpson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top Conversion HELP! Top Won't Sit Flat Reply with quote

I grafted a Westy roof skin with the supporting reinforcement onto a tin top. Check out this post, there's a lot of pictures of the Westy sheet metal, maybe it will help.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top Conversion HELP! Top Won't Sit Flat Reply with quote

I hear what others are saying, and I'm not saying that flattening the rear mount area might not do it and be a good idea besides. But you have a bigger gap at front that I think you have to solve first. And the hinges close kind of funny so a gap at the front may be causing the gap at the back, but I don't think the opposite can happen.
Dgiand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top Conversion HELP! Top Won't Sit Flat Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
I hear what others are saying, and I'm not saying that flattening the rear mount area might not do it and be a good idea besides. But you have a bigger gap at front that I think you have to solve first. And the hinges close kind of funny so a gap at the front may be causing the gap at the back, but I don't think the opposite can happen.

For sure, the top does not fall into place on its own, I had to connect the latch and then clamp the bottom part to the roof to pull the front down, and it still doesn't seal completely at the front.

I'm not opposed to flattening out the back at all but agree that there seems to be more to the issue than that
Dgiand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top Conversion HELP! Top Won't Sit Flat Reply with quote

[quote="davevickery"]
Dgiand wrote:

If you temporarily remove the front latch altogether, does the top lay flat? And did you trial fit it without any the rear hinges and latch and did it lay flat?

No, I had to apply a lot of downward pressure to get the top into the closed position.

I guess I should have done a trial fit beforehand, I did not lay it on top of the van with no hardware.

I wrongly assumed (always a bad idea) that any top would fit any van. Please tell me its not possible that the top doesn't match the van.

The top was pulled off a donor, which I still have, about a month ago.

Appreciate the help
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top Conversion HELP! Top Won't Sit Flat Reply with quote

I don't know about 100% matching tops to vans, but I can tell you I grafted an '80 top to a '91 tintop, so that's compatability across the full range of model years.

I thought about this some more and agree about alignment concerns. I don't think the H bar not being attached is the issue. If I remember right, that was the last attachment I made- line up, measure, repeat x3 to make sure got it right. Attached the rear hinges. Closed the top and lined up, attached the front latch then the H-bar. I think.

So, I'd wonder if the rear hinges are too far forward, also meaning the luggage rack is too far forward. Attaching the luggage rack was actually the first thing I did and was super careful doing so, knowing it would be the baseline for everything else. Because of how the rear roof corners are shaped, if the hinges are too far forward, they may hold the entire top too high.

Just throwing darts at the internet here, not sure if helpful. But, that's what I'd try- shifting the whole assembly back a little a bit, see if that helps.

Last edited by mikemtnbike on Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top Conversion HELP! Top Won't Sit Flat Reply with quote

I don’t have my factory camper handy, but I recall the “catch” portion is not flush with the top roof skin. I have a vague memory of it being in the recess.

I would go through a process of elimination, before I got carried away in the hinge area. Start with the latch, then the crossbar support, and even the luggage rack.

In the end, minus all hardware including the hinges, the top should seat. If not, the top could be warped from sitting around. There are early and late fiberglass tops, but I believe the roof skin and drip rails are the same on all transporters.
Dgiand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top Conversion HELP! Top Won't Sit Flat Reply with quote

I think I’m going to detach everything after work today and make sure the roof sits flat, also I need to reference the donor van for the latch placement.

It could also be not far forward enough? The seal doesn’t seem to be overlapping the luggage rack as far as it should based on looking at pictures
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: