Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wanted! Pic of glove box decal
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:11 am    Post subject: Wanted! Pic of glove box decal Reply with quote

Looking for a good, close up pic of the later (1962 and forward)
glove box decal. Only original ones are interesting (no pics of repops in other words Very Happy)
My ambition is to make a "remake" of both the german and the english version.
Water transfer off course and correct in all the details:-)

You can mail me at: [email protected]

Payment will be a brand new one

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Wanted! Pic of glove box decal Reply with quote

German version found! Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56cpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanted! Pic of glove box decal Reply with quote

Jonas - it looks like we may be able to offer a choice. I had new Stickers printed up 2 weeks ago - mine will be stickers not water transfers.
I still need to resolve if there is a typo on the early Light Blue sticker. It quotes Rear tyre pressure in lbd not lbs as in front tyre pressures - am I missing something?

Regards Jerry KGCOAustralia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Wanted! Pic of glove box decal Reply with quote

Got the two versions. Thanks all for Your help.
Interesting detail is that the text don´t seem to "line up" perfectly...funny.
A small detail the will "show up" in the water transfer repro as well, off course:-)

Jerry, well spotted... lbd and lbs. THey both show up on the later decal
but NOT on the early.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Wanted! Pic of glove box decal Reply with quote

Burman wrote:
Got the two versions. Thanks all for Your help.
Interesting detail is that the text don´t seem to "line up" perfectly...funny.
A small detail the will "show up" in the water transfer repro as well, off course:-)

[sze=14]Jerry, well spotted... lbd and lbs. THey both show up on the later decal
but NOT on the early.
[/size]

Shocked A typo like that making it into production is very surprising to me, but I suppose it happens occasionally.

Just another small bit of the Karmann Ghia's unique character - a "beauty mark", if you will.
56cpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanted! Pic of glove box decal Reply with quote

Is it really a original production mistake , or are we looking at a reproduction with a mistake. I have a reproduction with that mistake. Is it easy to tell original from a repro.
There also seems to be 2 versions of the early sticker - one with the petrol cock positions in red and one without - are they both correct?

Jerry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanted! Pic of glove box decal Reply with quote

Based on a google images search, all the later stickers seem to have the lbd
moogie32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Wanted! Pic of glove box decal Reply with quote

56cpe wrote:
Is it really a original production mistake , or are we looking at a reproduction with a mistake. I have a reproduction with that mistake. Is it easy to tell original from a repro.

The English version came from a low mileage original 1964 - I am sure it's not a repro.
Doch leider musst du von uns gehn
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TISO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Wanted! Pic of glove box decal Reply with quote

BTW as scale modeller i can tell you there are quite a few companies that produce waterslide decals on demand. IMHO you should check that option.
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Wanted! Pic of glove box decal Reply with quote

Thanks Marko for your tip Wink

Yes, water slide decals can be produced either by a printer (even by yourself if you buy the correct paper) or by screen-printing them.
And screen-printing is a far more (and time consuming) complicated technique.
And this will show on the result I´m afraid
I have tried doing water slide decals with a printer. They look ok and will certainly work on scale models. The problem though is that they fade and even
bleed after a while.
Mine are screen-printed Very Happy

Last edited by Burman on Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Wanted! Pic of glove box decal Reply with quote

(Is it really a original production mistake , or are we looking at a reproduction with a mistake. I have a reproduction with that mistake. Is it easy to tell original from a repro.
There also seems to be 2 versions of the early sticker - one with the petrol cock positions in red and one without - are they both correct?)

Moogie32:s decal is an original, water slide one, no doubt
The one with the petrol cock is the early version 1956-1961
TISO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Wanted! Pic of glove box decal Reply with quote

Being scale modeller for last few decades a couple observations.
Yes one can produce own decals on printer but major problem is only increasingly rare ALPS printers print white colour and colour is printed on top of the film and needs sealing before use. This option is used only by very few modellers and is basicly usable only for black stenciling or such.

Decals for scale models (in the box or aftermarket) are screen printed on paper coated with water based glue film with last layer printed being the clear flexible film that keeps decal together (absence of the clear film would result in decal cracking and falling apart). There is standard problem with clear films used by some manufacturers as as it can yellow with age (undesirable on scale models) and most modern manufacturers use non yellowing film. BTW there is a huge aftermarket decals market with lots of companies on it (both in Europe and US).

Greatest problem with waterslide decals is acctually “silvering” or to be precise air being pulled under the film (between the edge of the decal and colours) when decals is drying.
That can be avoided by:
- preparing surface (as glossy as possible) and then using some aftermarket chemicals (like Microsol + Microset) that basicly melt the decal to the surface and then using clear coat laquer to seal them - seems complicated but no edges are visible or
- simply sealing the decal edge after being placed with clear coat (like Future floor polish) and then overspray it with clear matt or gloss laquer
TISO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Wanted! Pic of glove box decal Reply with quote

Some of decal manufacturers:
Poland:
http://www.techmod.pl/

Ukraine:
http://www.printscale.org/

US:
http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?S...re_Code=MD
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Wanted! Pic of glove box decal Reply with quote

Thanks for your lesson Marko Wink Wink
You certainly know what you are talking about.
Luckily we don´t have to bother about overspraying the decal with a gloss laquer (since it wasn´t done from factory). And that the clear film (screen-printed on last) is getting a little bit yellow with age is something you can spot on originals that still remain and this will look 100% accurate if you ask me.
But I can understand the problem doing scale models.

Cheers/Jonas
TISO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Wanted! Pic of glove box decal Reply with quote

Jonas basic point is decal manufacturers are printing waterslide decals for living and they will print your decals (they are generally sensible buisness poeple). Just contatct them if they accept print to order and how much would decals cost.
Burman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Wanted! Pic of glove box decal Reply with quote

I will!
Thanks again, Marko Very Happy
canbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanted! Pic of glove box decal Reply with quote

I've never bothered to figure out pictures but mine also says,

Fuel Tap, then a picture of the tap handle , Open, Closed, Reserve.

Tim.

Her 56 KG
His 56 KG
69 Single Cab, my new daily driver.
canbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Wanted! Pic of glove box decal Reply with quote

Got it.

Her 56 KG
His 56 KG
69 Single Cab, my new daily driver.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: