Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

25mm lug bolts and steel wheels... BAD
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: 25mm lug bolts and steel wheels... BAD Reply with quote

lol, totally my fault for not researching. I replaced my stud kit with lug bolts. I liked these because they were black chromed.

However, I didn't realize they were rubbing on the suspension. Just a bit, but enough to knock them loose and cause catastrophic failure. IE: Wheel fell off on the freeway.

Learn from my fuckup. Unless you have thick alloy wheels, GO SHORT!

In this pic you can see the bolts, that should be solid black, worn shiny on the edges:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And here you can see the results of my stupidity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RgxvMZ1EWs

I was going to replace them with new short ones, but decided I still like these. So instead I'm going to pull them all and cut a few mm off them instead. I'll measure how much is exposed in the back of the rotor and cut that much off. Round the leading edge a bit for easier installation, and I expect it'll be fine. Smile
Saucy Jack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 25mm lug bolts and steel wheels... BAD Reply with quote

OUCH!!!

78 SB CHAMPAGNE II
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 25mm lug bolts and steel wheels... BAD Reply with quote

First off glad you figured out what was going on and got over before it let loose!

Looks like front drums without the brake parts used. If so, looks like no way the lug bolts could be hitting the suspension, if the image is with them full in.

Did you use a torque wrench to tighten down the lug bolts? If not, they often end up tightened unequally, and will work loose.

Are the lug bolts snug to the drum threads as you thread them in? There are different thread fits to fasteners. Using lug bolts/fasteners that are a looser fit in the female threads will result in always loosening up.
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 25mm lug bolts and steel wheels... BAD Reply with quote

They're definitely too long. You can see the wear. Those are brand new black chromed bolts, and the ends shouldn't show any wear like they do.

Front is rotors not drums. I always use a torque wrench. 90ft/lbs was the setting.

I've been (carefully!) driving it like this because my Saab is down waiting for a replacement heater bypass valve. No freeways, can frequent torque checks. I can still feel them rubbing when driving, especially when I hit the brakes. They're hitting the caliper I think. Tonight I am going to get cutting. Smile
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 25mm lug bolts and steel wheels... BAD Reply with quote

How about?
Eric&Barb wrote:

Are the lug bolts snug to the drum threads as you thread them in? There are different thread fits to fasteners. Using lug bolts/fasteners that are a looser fit in the female threads will result in always loosening up.

Which driving camera system are you using?
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 25mm lug bolts and steel wheels... BAD Reply with quote

Everything felt snug.

For the camera:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=md5pIv-UVEU

The Street Guardian in my Saab has way better video quality, but is also much more expensive. And doesn't have the rear view mirror display.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 25mm lug bolts and steel wheels... BAD Reply with quote

humor me...on a disc brake car there shouldnt be anything inside the hub near those studs...does it have some sort of aftermarket caliper adapter with incredibly long bolts?...i'd really like to see exactly what it was hitting
DurocShark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 25mm lug bolts and steel wheels... BAD Reply with quote

Cuz I'm obviously making it up. Confused
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 25mm lug bolts and steel wheels... BAD Reply with quote

you obviously didnt make up the fact that your wheel fell off...and in the interest of it not happening again you need to figure out WHY it happened...but i swear its NOT from the ends of the studs hitting anything...i've just decided against going back down to the shop and pulling the rotor off mine to prove it to myself but there should be plenty of room in there...if i'm wrong, please show me exactly what it hit...and if it didnt, you need to figure out what else is wrong...maybe the lug bolts you got were cone seat instead of the ball-style that stock wheels use....in that case the taper of the lug would bottom out against the face of the rotor and tighten up, but it would not apply enough pressure to the seating surface of the lug hole on the rim...and under load the rim would flex enough to make the lugs loosen up

Last edited by volksworld on Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Dal Churchill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: 25mm lug bolts and steel wheels... BAD Reply with quote

Check the bolt seats are radiused, not tapered (or whatever is correct for the wheels you are running).

I've seen longer bolts hit in a drum set up but not in a disc set up, regardless, if you are going to cut them down you'll need to file a leading edge on the first thread of each one so that you don't tear up the female hub threads.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: 25mm lug bolts and steel wheels... BAD Reply with quote

I fought with my new brakes for 2 days before realizing that the shoes were hitting the back of the studs in the drums lol. We all make mistakes, atleast your ok.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: