Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

jxgyvr wrote:
There is a guy in the BC Lower Mainland who is making a hightop that may be a replica of the Getaway design. I think the company goes by the name Coast Mountain Hightops. A quick internet search should turn up some hits.

(Full disclosure: I am NOT in any way connected to them).

Thanks!
It seems this company is now defunked Sad
jxgyvr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

Dr. Bjorn's website at https://vanagonwestfaliaparts.com/ seems to have a listing for a Reimo hightop for Vanagons.

Disclosure: No connection with Dr. Bjorn's Auto. However, I have bought parts from him.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

jxgyvr wrote:
Dr. Bjorn's website at https://vanagonwestfaliaparts.com/ seems to have a listing for a Reimo hightop for Vanagons.

Disclosure: No connection with Dr. Bjorn's Auto. However, I have bought parts from him.

Yes, I am in contact with Bjorn - he has access to those beautiful new REIMO hightops, and I am very seriously considering. His prices are much cheaper than the "CANADIANHIGHTOPS"... but still I really hope I don't have to pay that much. In the end a hightop thru him would end up well over $2k... So my hope is to find a second hand GA or AW top, perhaps from a scraped van somewhere...
>>> but I will get something from Bjorn if NOTHING else turns up.

I MUST get a hightop! To me the difference between a van with or without a hightop is indescribable.
g shepherd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:

These measurements are about what I would expect in comparison to mine, but may I ask you, does yours have the still arched rear section of the roof, or do you have the more spacious "flat ceiling" at the rear section?

Mine has a flat ceiling
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

g shepherd wrote:

Mine has a flat ceiling

Thanks... OK that means if I find a used AW hightop and I install it without cutting away the ENTIRE rear part of the ceiling, then the total BED HEIGHT will be 3" less... so a total of about 43cm.
hmmmm.... I think best will be to rip out the entire ceiling in that case.

I am still interested in this GETAWAY hightops... seems some of their models (common in BC) have the full 60cm bed height. . . . this would be wonderful.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
His prices are much cheaper than the "CANADIANHIGHTOPS"...

Have you priced side windows yet? It helped me with my decision. NAHT's come with two, and Reimos are extra, around $400/side if I recall correctly.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
epowell wrote:
His prices are much cheaper than the "CANADIANHIGHTOPS"...

Have you priced side windows yet? It helped me with my decision. NAHT's come with two, and Reimos are extra, around $400/side if I recall correctly.

Yeah, maybe with the extras the prices are the same. I just noticed that it was possible from Bjorn to reduce the price because with him those extras are optional. I was thinking to pass on the windows and make the bed part myself, pass on basically everything except the bare top itself... and even then it is well over $2000. Amazing... So I will be looking hard for a salvaged high top somewhere in BC or even Alberta perhaps. Buying in Washington would involve duty and tax and hassles I'd rather avoid.

Who knows, I very well might finally just end up building on myself from scratch.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
So I will be looking hard for a salvaged high top somewhere in BC or even Alberta perhaps. Buying in Washington would involve duty and tax and hassles I'd rather avoid.

Who knows, I very well might finally just end up building on myself from scratch.

I feel like in that part of the world, there's a Getaway Van top sitting in somebody's back yard just waiting for you. Finding it is the hard part!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: "Postal" HIGH TOPS in Canada? Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

I feel like in that part of the world, there's a Getaway Van top sitting in somebody's back yard just waiting for you. Finding it is the hard part!

There is absolutely no question that there is one waiting for me (I only need ONE!) Smile ...so finding it is the tricky part...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: