Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Phenolic spacer gasket
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
metoooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Phenolic spacer gasket Reply with quote

Hi,

Can someone tell me if the intake manifold Phenolic Spacer should have cardboard gaskets above and below?

When I took it apart it has cardboard gaskets but I do not see those gaskets in the parts book diagram.

Thanks !
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Phenolic spacer gasket Reply with quote

metoooo wrote:
Hi,

Can someone tell me if the intake manifold Phenolic Spacer should have cardboard gaskets above and below?

When I took it apart it has cardboard gaskets but I do not see those gaskets in the parts book diagram.

Thanks !

No.....and its not cardboard (few if any gaskets are). They are actually bleached, chopped, compressed with adhesive and molded. The gasket faces of these blocks are cast onto each side.

If they have not peeled or the surtace has not been broken....you can recycle them with a very thin application of stiff RTV like Permatex ultra gray. I apply it with a roller in a thickness of less than .001....then let it dry. It makes a very thin, very slightly compressible surface that allows sealing.

I have not made a "how to" just for the phenolic spacers....but this is the same technique.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=691163

You do one side at a time and let it dry before doing the other side. I apply RTV, then with a 1/8" wooden rod wrapped in shop towel....I wipe out any small amount of RTV that bleeds over into the bores.

If the faces of your original gaskets are scratched up....you can lightly sand them on glass with 400-800 grit wet/dry paper. Either way....before you apply RTV, clean them with something clean and fast evaporating. I use MEK folowed buy acetone or you can use Berrymans Chemtool. These seal perfectly when done this way.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metoooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Phenolic spacer gasket Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
metoooo wrote:
Hi,

Thanks !

No.....and its not cardboard (few if any gaskets are). They are actually bleached, chopped, compressed with adhesive and molded. The gasket faces of these blocks are cast onto each side.

If they have not peeled or the surtace has not been broken....you can recycle them with a very thin application of stiff RTV like Permatex ultra gray. I apply it with a roller in a thickness of less than .001....then let it dry. It makes a very thin, very slightly compressible surface that allows sealing.

I have not made a "how to" just for the phenolic spacers....but this is the same technique.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=691163

You do one side at a time and let it dry before doing the other side. I apply RTV, then with a 1/8" wooden rod wrapped in shop towel....I wipe out any small amount of RTV that bleeds over into the bores.

If the faces of your original gaskets are scratched up....you can lightly sand them on glass with 400-800 grit wet/dry paper. Either way....before you apply RTV, clean them with something clean and fast evaporating. I use MEK folowed buy acetone or you can use Berrymans Chemtool. These seal perfectly when done this way.

Ray

Thanks for the detailed info!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Phenolic spacer gasket Reply with quote

ray - if i understood your post correctly - no gaskets above or below the phenolic, just rtv both sides?

having problems with vacuum leak, tried paper gasketing both sides but this hasn't solved the issue.

leveled the base of both carbs (twin 32 pdsit), left one was very much not flat.

i'm also using lock washers on the nuts,, i wonder if i should ditch those since they just add a degree of flexibility to the fixing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Phenolic spacer gasket Reply with quote

daos wrote:
ray - if i understood your post correctly - no gaskets above or below the phenolic, just rtv both sides?

having problems with vacuum leak, tried paper gasketing both sides but this hasn't solved the issue.

leveled the base of both carbs (twin 32 pdsit), left one was very much not flat.

i'm also using lock washers on the nuts,, i wonder if i should ditch those since they just add a degree of flexibility to the fixing.

First make sure these are not cracked. Then make sure they are flat. I lap them on glass on 600-800 grit ....down to clean gasket paper.

You can "seal" the paper surface by basically taking a flat straight edge scraper blade and some Permatex Ultra gray....and literally shear it across the surface like you are buttering toast. You want to have the blade edge at an angle. You want "0" layer of RTV left . A single pass with a sharp edge pushes the RTV into every micro pore that is open.

Let it cure.

An alternate method to teh one I linked....

Then ...by the same method but with something like a plastic vinyl spreader or with a roller....but a very, very thin and even wet layer on on both sides. Put it on the head and apply the runner. Put the nuts on finger tight. Leave it alone for 6-8 hours and then tighten it up. Ray
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Phenolic spacer gasket Reply with quote

the ones i have are new so the surfaces are in perfect shape.

since i know i'll need to remove the carbs again in the near future - probably a few times as i'm experimenting with jetting - i'm thinking the full cure prior to installation method might be an option. will the rtv survive that or is it better to remove & reapply each time?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Phenolic spacer gasket Reply with quote

daos wrote:

since i know i'll need to remove the carbs again in the near future - probably a few times as i'm experimenting with jetting - i'm thinking the full cure prior to installation method might be an option. will the rtv survive that or is it better to remove & reapply each time?

Something to keep in mind, and no offense to Ray, but RTV is soluble in gas, meaning it breaks down. While Ray's method is good for FI applications, for carbs I'd use thick paper gaskets, at least on the carb side of the phenolic blocks. The extra thickness of the gasket won't hurt, and can help in preventing carb boil off or vapor lock.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Phenolic spacer gasket Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
daos wrote:

Something to keep in mind, and no offense to Ray, but RTV is soluble in gas, meaning it breaks down. While Ray's method is good for FI applications, for carbs I'd use thick paper gaskets, at least on the carb side of the phenolic blocks. The extra thickness of the gasket won't hurt, and can help in preventing carb boil off or vapor lock.

Its not an issue.

The total exposure of the RTV to fuel.....is a 5-10 micron thick vertical line all around the port. The rest of the RTV......the horizontal parts that are against the port and the phenolic block.....are sealed to their surfaces. The fuel first has to eat into that vertical face....and keep eating.....to get into the sealed horizontal areas. Yo get more than a millimeter of penetration can take years.

This is the same reason molded silicone gaskets have no issues with fuel.

Its only the surface that faces the fuel that get attacked. If the fuel moved laterally between the layers....the layers were not sealed and you already had a leak.

Many people have been using this sealing method for eons.

Its confusing to many. Most RTV tech data sheets say....."not for use with fuel". Yet their uses list list fuel system gaskets etc.

So what gives?

Its not for IMMERSION in fuel. Between sealed surfaces it works fine. Ray

Last edited by raygreenwood on Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Phenolic spacer gasket Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification Ray. I knew you know. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Phenolic spacer gasket Reply with quote

well, removing the stupid lock washers cured the leak.

otherwise i like the sound of the thin rtv as a more permanent seal. i'd prefer it over paper since i would think it has more capacity to conform to surface differences. the only downside being that it has to be cleaned off and re-applied every time the carbs come off.
sharkskinman
Lateral Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Phenolic spacer gasket Reply with quote

have done Many spaces for F.I. and Everyine I've done has thin layer of rtv on both sides

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Me of Course wrote:
Extremity is relative to how far your willing to jump

Ward Cleaver wrote:
You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear alone on a pink golf ball can take the head off a 90-pound midget at over 300 yards

PS4 "NKOGNEATO"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Phenolic spacer gasket Reply with quote

sharkskinman wrote:
have done Many spaces for F.I. and Everyine I've done has thin layer of rtv on both sides

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Do you install them with the RTV still tacky, or dried?
sharkskinman
Lateral Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Phenolic spacer gasket Reply with quote

dried
When you tighten things down with RTV before it actually get solid it tends to squish out you get it inside things all over the outside of thing if you just roll a nice hard roller on some marble or glass really nice thin layer over and hang them up let them dry

That's usually why they say to install RTV tighten down and then retorque once it's solid

Me of Course wrote:

Ward Cleaver wrote:
You ever try a pink golf ball, Wally? Why, the wind shear alone on a pink golf ball can take the head off a 90-pound midget at over 300 yards

PS4 "NKOGNEATO"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Phenolic spacer gasket Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone has used this or something similar?

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/anaero...ket-maker/

Just wondering if it works or if its too good to be true?
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
sharkskinman
Lateral Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Phenolic spacer gasket Reply with quote

get the gas resistant grey

Me of Course wrote:

Ward Cleaver wrote:

PS4 "NKOGNEATO"
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Phenolic spacer gasket Reply with quote

sharkskinman wrote:

That still didn't answer my question. Has anybody tried this type of sealant and found that works in the intake or any other application?

Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Phenolic spacer gasket Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
sharkskinman wrote:

That still didn't answer my question. Has anybody tried this type of sealant and found that works in the intake or any other application?

No, I haven't. On the intake gaskets, I use aviation glue.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Phenolic spacer gasket Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
sharkskinman wrote:

Yes...I have used it. It is excellent...but not on this. Not on intake gaskets.

Why?

Because it does not cure to full strength...UNLESS it is devoid of oxygen. It is an anaerobic sealant. It works...by exploiting metallic ions as a catalyst between surfaces. Note...it lists for aluminum iron and steel.

I have used this in a few places industrial wise...between a plastic and metal....and its adhesion and cure is weak on the plastic side. It will not adhere well to the phenolic spacer.

The TDA lists its usage with gasoline to about 70% strength...between metal surfaces...at 500 hours at about 23 C...which is only 73 F.

It has no listing for its temp range but they list cleanup of dried material between parts can be sped up by heating to 400-450F. That means the temp range is pretty low.

Here is the TDS
https://441py33rout1ptjxn2lupv31-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/tech_docs/tds/51817.pdf

Really...just use this method to apply some Permatex Ultra gray or black.

Buy a cheap roller at hobby lobby...a cheap sheet of glass at home depot. Works fantastic
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=691163&highlight=thin+film
Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: