Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

77 bus.. mission to wake it up..
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus.. mission to wake it up.. Reply with quote

I just took some FI rubber line with me to the FLAPS and found brake line that was a snug fit. Can’t recall at the moment, but I think it was 3/16” and then I used the flare tool to swell the ends. I had to spit on the rubber hose to get it past the swell, then clamped with FI clamps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srf4love
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus.. mission to wake it up.. Reply with quote

definitely gotta get the gnarly spider out.. it was pretty big..

sounds like first thing is fuel tank and fuel lines..

buying a new tank VS cleaning and figuring all that out..

Im definitely the read and follow instructions kinda guy.. definitely want someone to help me do all the things but dont necessarily need a full on teacher..

Again I appreciate you all more thank I can say! thanks
srf4love
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus.. mission to wake it up.. Reply with quote

420GOAT wrote:
smog cars are difficult for a first timer. read read read, dont pay some one to show you.

any suggestions on anything special to read?
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus.. mission to wake it up.. Reply with quote

One really important resource is the website www.ratwell.com . He may go into a little more detail than you need for some things, but you will find relevant info on many topics there. I for one have gotten a lot of mileage out of the article entitled "72-79 Bus engine removal." The pictures are priceless. The green Robert Bentley manual for late bay buses is a good resource, with lots of pictures also. Tom Wilson's book, "How to rebuild your VW Air-cooled engine" is a little more user-friendly than the Bentley, and the John Muir "Idiot book" is a highly amusing (but not always thorough) book on all things air-cooled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus.. mission to wake it up.. Reply with quote

srf4love wrote:
definitely gotta get the gnarly spider out.. it was pretty big..

sounds like first thing is fuel tank and fuel lines..

buying a new tank VS cleaning and figuring all that out..

Im definitely the read and follow instructions kinda guy.. definitely want someone to help me do all the things but dont necessarily need a full on teacher..

Again I appreciate you all more thank I can say! thanks

The substitute for the teacher is lot of time AND money. Don’t think you Will save money by trying to become a mechanic by reading, you won’t.

Budget 2500-3000 to get 77 back on the road safely, covering brakes, steering, suspension, and finally, motor
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus.. mission to wake it up.. Reply with quote

Posting this image again here so we don't have to go back a page to look at it…

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You have a solid foundation to work from. My recommendation, after helping quite a few people in the same situation as you: Learn the various parts of the system and how they work. Almost every component in the entire system can be tested with a digital multimeter, fuel pressure gauge, pliers, and some extra wires. Stock fuel injection is VERY friendly to waking up after a long sit. There are only a few components (mostly rubber parts) that deteriorate with time. As stated above, the fuel lines are under ~35psi of pressure, so they need to be in good shape with good smooth clamps. No serrated generic hose clamps, and no braided carburetor fuel line.

All the information you'll need is on here somewhere, and can be found with some searching and posting. From the picture above, a few bits of advice:

- Large vacuum (air) hoses on the intake system should be removed and checked for cracks. A hose clamp on a line like that is evidence that someone previously had a sealing issue, and tried to remedy it improperly. The intake system braided lines should have no hose clamps as designed. (Only the big rubber "s-boot" and fuel lines get clamps.) I can almost guarantee that one or more of these hoses need replacing. GeeBee Racing is a vendor on here that remanufactures them. I'm not sure if his parts have a lifetime warranty, but they might as well. They'll long outlast you and me. Cool

- How are the brakes? The best engine in the world can't save you if those go out… Plan on new fluid at a minimum, and don't be surprised if a rear cylinder starts leaking, or a front caliper is frozen. When was the last time the rubber lines were replaced?

- Come smog check season, don't even go to the tester if the engine isn't purring. A single cylinder misfire will almost guarantee a fail. Find someone with an exhaust gas analyzer to help you diagnose any further issues. Stock engines pass fine unless someone has toyed with the mixture, in which case all bets are off. If you dot ALL your i's and cross your t's, smog is not a hard test to pass. The hardest part is learning the new language of Vintage Volkswagen so you know which letters are which. Razz Volkswagens fail smog when humans miss details, not because of their inherent design.

- How are the tires? Inflate them a few days before you plan to move it so you can see if they need attention.

- Feel free to ignore anyone that mentions carburetors, headers, high performance, and paying off the smog check station to pass you.

- When searching on The Samba, use the "title only" checkbox first for best results. If you have too many results to choose from, put the word AND (all caps!) between the words to specify. Sometimes a Google Custom search of the site (top right) will help you find answers that are buried even deeper.

Some technical info below might help you down the line.

Good luck,
Robbie

"Air Flow Control" (L-Jet) Fuel Injection Manual. Probably the book I refer to the most for FI:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_f...Manual.pdf

77 Wiring Diagram:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/baybus_77-78.jpg
(You can print this out huge at a print shop and laminate it. It makes using dry-erase markers handy for tracing circuits for troubleshooting.)

Wiring diagram key:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/baybus_77-78_key.jpg
(If you print the other one, have this one handy!)

Vacuum hoses layout and legend:
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/VacuumHoses.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus.. mission to wake it up.. Reply with quote

Srf4love- as you can see, lots of help,and support to make this happen. Im in and following with you on mine. Gonna steal your asks and answers for my project.

Keep updating and thanks to all for the expertise and info. I realize most advice and comments come from sunny california, but im digging mine out of FEET of snow way east in NH. Just mentioning in case anyone or someone way over here wants to drink some homebrew and tell stories. Mr Malty here. Hops just cover for bad brew.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus.. mission to wake it up.. Reply with quote

Srf4love- as you can see, lots of help,and support to make this happen. Im in and following with you on mine. Gonna steal your asks and answers for my project.

Keep updating and thanks to all for the expertise and info. I realize most advice and comments come from sunny california, but im digging mine out of FEET of snow way east in NH. Just mentioning in case anyone or someone way over here wants to drink some homebrew and tell stories. Mr Malty here. Hops just cover for bad brew.
depotmech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus.. mission to wake it up.. Reply with quote

Good luck on your project - I just recently started on mine as well - ours sat for close to 25 years... Suggestion on fuel tank that we did on ours - when you get it out, take it to a radiator shop and have them thoroughly clean it and reline it with a fuel proof coating inside, then pressure test it to be sure you will be leak free. well worth doing it right the 1st time since engine has to come out to access fuel tank.
srf4love
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus.. mission to wake it up.. Reply with quote

depotmech wrote:
Suggestion on fuel tank that we did on ours - when you get it out, take it to a radiator shop and have them thoroughly clean it and reline it with a fuel proof coating inside, then pressure test it to be sure you will be leak free. well worth doing it right the 1st time since engine has to come out to access fuel tank.

thank you!!! just what I was wondering.. toss out or refurb.. refurb seems to be the answer..

jetfxr- right on man!! I will keep this thread going every step of the way!..

asiab3- thank you a million times over for your advice!!!!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus.. mission to wake it up.. Reply with quote

Here are a lot of great tips and procedures:

http://www.ratwell.com
Liveonjg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus.. mission to wake it up.. Reply with quote

srf4love wrote:

thank you!!! just what I was wondering.. toss out or refurb.. refurb seems to be the answer..

Not really a single answer to this one. The existing tank could be far beyond rehab. I've used this on two tanks with great results:

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=por...cqk7f58k_e

Mixed results for some, but if you read and follow the instructions to the letter, it works great.

I've heard the new tanks don't quite fit right, but that's just hearsay.

77 FI 2L Westfalia - Ripple
77 FI 2L Westfalia - Althea
62 Dual Carb Single Cab - Lou
jmarshall024
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus.. mission to wake it up.. Reply with quote

good luck. I'll be watching for progress. I started a thread on a 77 fuel injected bus I'm working on in December. Here's the link if you want to see more suggestions from the group.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=710855&highlight=jmarshall024

I ended up pulling the motor using the guide on the ratwell website in order to go through the recommended steps/fixes. I haven't updated the thread in a while, but I got the gas tank out and think that was/is the main issue so spending time cleaning and resealing. I'll post updates soon.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus.. mission to wake it up.. Reply with quote

srf4love wrote:

The sad fact is that nothing fits as good, is as well made and lasts as long as the original parts. Before spending any significant $ on a part or parts, always search the forum as many new parts are discussed. Or, post a new thread asking who makes the best X.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
srf4love
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus.. mission to wake it up.. Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
srf4love wrote:

The sad fact is that nothing fits as good, is as well made and lasts as long as the original parts.

sad because you can't strike lightning twice.. but Im all about taking care of things and making them last.. I appreciate your response man! I'm gonna take that tank out and have it and the related parts restored as best they can be! if it ain't broke don't replace it.. clean it up a little instead..
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus.. mission to wake it up.. Reply with quote

Srf4love— big day here in NH. Not sure how to tag into your thread, but mine is “where to begin a resto?”

Challenge laid to ya! Lets git-r-done!
srf4love
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus.. mission to wake it up.. Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Srf4love— big day here in NH. Not sure how to tag into your thread, but mine is “where to begin a resto?”

Challenge laid to ya! Lets git-r-done!

checked it out! I'm gonna follow along..

today I had some extra time to shop vac all the spiders out.. not sure if I got the boss spider but I hope so.. engine doesn't have the webs on it anymore but its pretty dusty still..

fuel tank next??
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus.. mission to wake it up.. Reply with quote

srf4love wrote:
420GOAT wrote:
smog cars are difficult for a first timer. read read read, dont pay some one to show you.

any suggestions on anything special to read?

yes, search any questions here using only key words. get the bentley, and keep reading. lots of info on the afm, temp sensors, etc that make the FI bus run. the vanagon forum is a good place to search as well for ideas when you have an issue with the engine.
srf4love
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus.. mission to wake it up.. Reply with quote

UPDATE

since the last time I posted I realized I had no way of making this happen working on it myself.. so I took the bus to a shop and they got it running again..

unfortunately that lasted only a day.. drove it home and went to start it up again and it wouldn't start..

took it back and they told me the heads had cracked.. also mentioned that it looks like the camshaft may have been caught on something.. and they said that this particular engine is pretty far gone and would cost more to rebuild than it would be to get a different one..

any suggestions??
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 77 bus.. mission to wake it up.. Reply with quote

srf4love wrote:
UPDATE

since the last time I posted I realized I had no way of making this happen working on it myself.. so I took the bus to a shop and they got it running again..

unfortunately that lasted only a day.. drove it home and went to start it up again and it wouldn't start..

took it back and they told me the heads had cracked.. also mentioned that it looks like the camshaft may have been caught on something.. and they said that this particular engine is pretty far gone and would cost more to rebuild than it would be to get a different one..

any suggestions??

How did the engine run? Did it smoke? Make weird noises? Did the shop do a compression test? You can do a quick and dirty compression test by turning the engine over two full turns by hand. You should be able to feel the resistance to turning due to the compression for each cylinder in turn, they all should feel pretty much the same. You can also listen to the engine while you are cranking it over with the starter, it should have a rr, rr, rr, rr sound, if it is going rr, rr, RRR, rr or something of that nature then it has low compression on one cylinder.

The failure modes on these engines tend to be either a failed valve causing loss of compression or a worn out cam leading to poor performance. There are several tests you can do yourself before deciding to spend the cash on a new engine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: