Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

eBay buy.....
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kdfwagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: eBay buy..... Reply with quote

Been a long time since I have been on The Samba. I left the hobby after selling my two 1955 ovals to a guy from Puerto Rico. I purchased a 1965 Dodge Sweptline pick up with plans on restoration. The project never got off the ground and just sat under a tarp for years. I thought I wanted to do this project but just didn't have it in me. I just plain old missed VW's and the VW community. I thought it might be the same over with the Dodge folks but it wasn't. When people say that VW people are a special breed they indeed really are. Nothing against the Dodge people but they just are not the same. So I put the truck up for auction on eBay and lost my butt in the sale, finally selling the truck on the third attempt. Now the truck will get the restoration it deserves. So what now? Didn't want another oval. Of course a split is out of reach. Going back to my childhood my family were always VW buyers. Will never forget going to Castle Cars in Norfolk Virginia (that was the local VW dealership) in the summer of 72 and my dad buying a 1972 Super Beetle brand new off the showroom floor, I was 5 at the time but I remember it vividly. It was bright yellow but I liked the dark green one that sat next to it. But mom won out and yellow it was. I really loved that car.

So looking around on eBay I found this. She has been sitting in the desert in Newberry Springs California for approx. 15 years since last registered. Seems pretty solid to me with little to no rust. Placed a bid, was the only bidder and she is mine. Luckily my daughter lives in Oceanside California and needs her SUV brought back east so I’m going to fly out there, rent a one way car trailer from u-Haul and tow the super back home. I asked the seller if this was the origional engine and he believes so. Comments most welcome. Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay buy..... Reply with quote

Looks like a good, solid car. Well done! Now the fun begins....

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay buy..... Reply with quote

Agreed! Looks like a great start to a great project! Keep the pictures coming! I love seeing the process!

Any rust issues anywhere? The ones that I have been looking at and buying from out in the desert typically are rust free for the most part but do suffer if the sun has completely compromised the window rubber. Seems like they all have a lot of rust on the luggage shelf, more from the carpet there holding the moisture in place. But, it is all fixable!

Good luck and I will be following along!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay buy..... Reply with quote

Looks solid and complete. A yellow 72 like your dad bought? And a chance to visit your daughter too. Seems to good to be true - but why not? I would give that case a very careful exam - it looks a little rough around the edges. Probably will check out OK, but it's looks like it's been sitting out in the elements.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay buy..... Reply with quote

You are miles ahead not buying a rusty car, easy fix. Win Win Very Happy
kdfwagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay buy..... Reply with quote

No rust that I can tell. The seller says it is pretty rust free. Good bones for a build in my opinion. The cars back here in the east are usually eaten up pretty bad so I think I am way ahead of the game already.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay buy..... Reply with quote

Everybody loves a road trip. Lunch in Newberry Spings at the Bagdad Cafe, then on down Rt 66 in Amboy stop for a root beer at Roy's. Very Happy
kdfwagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay buy..... Reply with quote

It's been so long since I have been out of the hobby. Anyone remember the name of that VW machine shop in the LA area? I want that case checked out to see if it is salvageable. Rimco or something like that?

Last edited by kdfwagon on Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay buy..... Reply with quote

I'd much rather be replacing rubber than metal. Score!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
kdfwagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay buy..... Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
I'd much rather be replacing rubber than metal. Score!

Amen to that brother.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay buy..... Reply with quote

kdfwagon wrote:
It's been so long since I have been out of the hobby. Anyone remember the name of that VW machine shop in the LA area? I want that case checked out to see if it is salvageable. Rimco or something like that?

Rimco was in Los Angeles, back in the day. I am unsure if they are still around. If you cannot find info for them. There is another VW machine shop in Ontario, California. Brothers Machine Shop. (909) 947-6001

They are good for the most part. I had used them for years with no issues, when I was a VW mechanic. Last year, I used them for an engine build and had some issues. They took care of everything in the end, it just sucks having to make people do, what they say they will do! They did a good job, the second time around. Good luck!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay buy..... Reply with quote

Nice score.

Brother's is much closer, but either one will take care of ya.
Rimco was in SanTana for decades, then Santa Fe Springs for a few yrs, then bought-out FAT upon their retirement & set-up shop @ the FAT heritage site:
FAT Performance
1558 N Case St, Orange, CA 92867
(714) 637-2889
Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay buy..... Reply with quote

Congrats and kudos for saving a Super!!! Very Happy subscribed!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: eBay buy..... Reply with quote

Looks like that was originally a low compression dished piston engine. I thought those were only used in buses, but it appears they were also an option for type 1's for 72-73 only? I'm sure you're going to rebuild that engine anyway, but I'd definitely put a set of flat tops in there.
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: eBay buy..... Reply with quote

You might want to check the uhaul rates.
I heard the rental prices are extremely high for equipment going out of state with many ca. People escaping.
ricaroo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: eBay buy..... Reply with quote

Congratulations, Very nice find.. as mentioned in a prior post keep the pictures coming

Rick
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay buy..... Reply with quote

Where's all the rust?

You might be good with the rust but if it was in the hot dry air you might need to replace a lot of the wiring. I'd rather do that than rust repair as it is expensive. It's kind of like wack-a-mole. Everywhere you look there is a pinhole rust repair.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: eBay buy..... Reply with quote

AS you drive through Little Rock Ark my hometown on Interstate 40 on your way back home do not stop for gas. You will go inside pay and come back out to find your new porject stripped to the axles, or just gone Very Happy

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
kdfwagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay buy..... Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
AS you drive through Little Rock Ark my hometown on Interstate 40 on your way back home do not stop for gas. You will go inside pay and come back out to find your new porject stripped to the axles, or just gone Very Happy

I will drive really fast! Very Happy
kdfwagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: eBay buy..... Reply with quote

So I was going through the desert and stopped by to see the car for the first time as well as pick up the paperwork. The body is solid as a rock. The pans are totally clean and rust free. Even the battery spot is completely clean. The interior is another topic. Being in the desert heat for 15 years did a number on the headliner and upholstery as well as all the window rubber....toast. So I think I might just replace the interior, rebuild the motor, replace all the window rubber, go through all the electrical and mechanical and do absolutely nothing to the body. Here are a few extra pics I took while I was there. Feel free to give me your thoughts on leaving the body as is.

Last edited by kdfwagon on Wed May 01, 2019 7:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: