Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trouble in pushrods city with photo
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Trouble in pushrods city with photo Reply with quote

Recently built a 2027cc engine. Brake in predure went well. Nex day adjusted valves and repeat. Install into VW. Went on a trip in the country side driving at different speeds 40 to 55 mph. After about an hour heard a metallic sound coming from the rear. Number 3 cylinder was not working. Luckily I was not far from home. Took valve cover off and notice #3 exhaust pushrod disconnected from the rocker. Thease pushrods at heaven duty aluminum. Adjusted to .006. Have stock rockers. Wondering why this pushrod and the rest were not affected. Oil pressure at 55mph 48 lbs at 190 degrees. Like some info as what caused this. Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble in pushrods city with photo Reply with quote

pushrods are no good. Weaker than stock. You wasted your money buying those. Who was it? Empi?
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble in pushrods city with photo Reply with quote

Glad that you chime in I like your article s. Yes, EMPI push rods.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble in pushrods city with photo Reply with quote

AHA!
Begpack sold those darn pushrods for years, they just aren't made out of the right material.

Just the other day I thought..... since empi bought bugpack....I wonder what they are going to do with the remaining stock of those pushrods?
Hmmm yes I wonder Rolling Eyes

Nothing ever changes. Same shit different day.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble in pushrods city with photo Reply with quote

Those are aluminum, but they are not HD.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble in pushrods city with photo Reply with quote

My pushrods won't do that along with others on the market. Looks like the steel end broke. Pushrods are parts that you CAN NOT getaway using cheap stuff regardless of what type of material they are. I have seen horribly soft steel pushrods.

Dan
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble in pushrods city with photo Reply with quote

Yep. You can see from how it mushroomed so easily that it's not right.
Needs to be a high strength alloy of aluminum, and heat treated/aged.
A good hardened pushrod, if you break it, it nearly shatters.
True for steel OR aluminum.
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble in pushrods city with photo Reply with quote

I purchased them from Fomoco. They said they are ok to use on single heavy spring s.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble in pushrods city with photo Reply with quote

yep, just keep on shoveling, shovel it down the line.
It's a Dee/bugpack/empi/mofoco pushrod. And it's still weaker than stock no matter how far you shovel it.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble in pushrods city with photo Reply with quote

Mine were in a SCAT packaging, iirc, and yes, even polished, they were turds. Mine failed exactly like yours, on n°3. I, too, was running "HD" singles.

I'm thinking, now, with this identical failure, maybe it has something to do with how the n°3 exhaust heats up more, the head expands most there, and valve clearance grows, and the pounding is what sets it off. Not worth thinking about, though, as there are so many good ally push rods out there now.

Live and learn..
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble in pushrods city with photo Reply with quote

I’d check the cup in the rocker arm for damage too. Looks like the steel end snapped and left a piece in the pushrod. It might have chewed up the cup in the rocker.
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble in pushrods city with photo Reply with quote

Thanks all for your comments. What other brands out there either steel or aluminum for single and double spring applications.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble in pushrods city with photo Reply with quote

You have 2 choices first, chromoly or aluminum. We developed HD Aluminum almost 20 years ago, it took us a while to find out what worked after many material failures. The big box stores never learned and continue to sell the stuff which doesn't work.

Chromoly are strong, but have a much lower expansion characteristic than aluminum, so typically valve lash increases as the engine gets hotter.

Aluminum expands at a more consistent rate than steel, so they tend to be quieter at operating temperatures.

We recommend

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Manton-3-8-Chromoly-P...h-rods.htm as a great all-around chromoly PR, good for everything short of Chevy springs (Stock, HD Single, Beehive, Dual VW)

Chevy springs require a .058" wall, http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Manton-3-8-Chromoly-P...h-rods.htm

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/ACN-Heavy-Duty-Aluminum-Pushrods-Set-of-8-p/acnhdalpr.htm

for everything up to dual springs and 1.1 rockers (stock, HD SIngle, HD Dual w1.1 rockers).

If you go dual springs and 1.25+ rockers get the dual tapered http://vwparts.aircooled.net/ACN-Heavy-Duty-Aluminum-Pushrods-Dual-Tapered-p/acndthdalpr.htm

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble in pushrods city with photo Reply with quote

storm wrote:
Thanks all for your comments. What other brands out there either steel or aluminum for single and double spring applications.

Since you asked. The steel ends are monsters, the shanks are .267" O.D. and are made in USA. Just try to break them.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2159797
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble in pushrods city with photo Reply with quote

For critical parts, buy the proper materials. The HD Aluminums from John/ACN really hold up well. I have used them on the larger motors over the years -provided by people for their motors. I have not seen failures in street use to date.

If nothing else, single spring application - just use the stock VW pushrods.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble in pushrods city with photo Reply with quote

I have a set of CBs HD aluminum pushrods coming out of my race engine. CB650 springs and no sign of wear. I cant use them any more so if you know your length shoot me a pm and I'll see if they are the same.

brad
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble in pushrods city with photo Reply with quote

modok wrote:
yep, just keep on shoveling, shovel it down the line.
It's a Dee/bugpack/empi/mofoco pushrod. And it's still weaker than stock no matter how far you shovel it.

PLEASE send them back to me. I will credit you and even before you send them back, I will send you a set of good Made in the USA steel push rods for no cost.

Send me your address to [email protected] and I will get them shipped today.

As for those push rods, I hadn't used them before but hoped that the Bugpack quality would still be there. I will be pulling them from my website.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maui
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Trouble in pushrods city with photo Reply with quote

I used cb ac.net and ruddeck and all super good but to me the ruddeck is the better ones but for you it’s overkill. Just get from John or cb perf.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble in pushrods city with photo Reply with quote

do the mofoco roy deal. he has stepped up so do it. if you set the rocker end/side play @.002"-.004" they should be quiet at zero lash cold, thats zero, not loose
storm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Trouble in pushrods city with photo Reply with quote

Roy, thanks for the offer it sounds good. Mofoco has proven that it cares for the VW enthusiast. Good job.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: