Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rust behind weird crappy engine insulation (yuk!)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Rust behind weird crappy engine insulation (yuk!) Reply with quote

Now that I have the tranny out it is my one chance to finally deal with this dark, rotten corner of my van... behind the engine bay, above the tranny area is this old foam insulation material... it is incredibly dirty. And behind that the metal is quite rusty.

I guess this foam material serves as sound insulation?? Does it have any other function? Is it factory stock stuff - does it HAVE to be there?

I would love to just rip it all out and throw in the trash - then deal with the rust and paint it nicely back there > and keep an eye on it.

Would that be a bad idea? >>> or maybe I could buy some new similar insulation material to replace this toxic old horrible crap Shocked [every time I am on my back under the van working in that area tons of toxic dust falls from this insulation right into my eyes]. I can live with a little more engine noise - afterall I ripped out ALL the interior carpets and rubber mats, and love it! >>> it's a bit noisy but my GF and I agree that some noise kinda "comes with it". Not a problem and we never drive on highways.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Ed
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Rust behind weird crappy engine insulation (yuk!) Reply with quote

I tore it all out, wire brushed, treated the metal, painted with heavy duty paint, and covered it with Dynamat hood liner on my Syncro.

(edit: the insulation is actually attached to the tank on the Syncro, but similar rules apply. Smile)

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com

Last edited by joetiger on Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Rust behind weird crappy engine insulation (yuk!) Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=715798&highlight=

A topic I just started regarding the same thing. I just tore mine out. I'll probably remove rust, paint, and install new deadener on next engine pull.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rust behind weird crappy engine insulation (yuk!) Reply with quote

With a diesel, you might miss the sound deadening if you just yank it out. It is a good idea to do what you want though. Clean it, deal with the rust and get some paint back on there. It won't keep you from using it and there are also some better products out there. It might be a little louder inside with no sound deadening. I have sound deadening on the inside as well at the original stuff on the outside.

epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust behind weird crappy engine insulation (yuk!) Reply with quote

Thanks guys,
I'm just going to rip it all out and deal with the rust > this is the top priority. If it is too loud then later I can put something fresh in there.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust behind weird crappy engine insulation (yuk!) Reply with quote

Here are some ideas for removing and replacing that old crusty stuff:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606406

I agree with others that a diesel in particular benefits from as much sound-proofing as possible. As a musician, Ed, you will pay a somewhat higher price than most for any hearing loss caused by even moderate long term noise pollution ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust behind weird crappy engine insulation (yuk!) Reply with quote

Oh yes! That was fun!

Mine was a different material that acted like a sponge holding moisture against the metal!

Gotta love those old dead German engineers!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust behind weird crappy engine insulation (yuk!) Reply with quote

I am pretty sure what I will do is just rip that crap outta there... and see (hear) how it sounds. The thing is that I don't drive very much at all except during summer trips when the windows are open anyway, and the whole back part of the van is loaded with mattresses - sleeping bags, and luggage...

...I think that I will install some thick acoustic foam insulation on that area UNDER THE SEAT inside the van. I think I want to keep the outside part of the van (facing the road) free from anything. I don't like the idea of having material stuck there which can absorb moisture and hold it against the metal rotting it away totally unseen. I would rather have the soundproofing stuff on the inside of the van.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust behind weird crappy engine insulation (yuk!) Reply with quote

Yep, that's what I did, removed it, cleaned the rust, painted it and ran!

What a stupid place for insulation!

The noise wasn't bothersome...... but then again the US Army tells me that I can't hear, they 4F'd me during the Vietnam "conflict".

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust behind weird crappy engine insulation (yuk!) Reply with quote

I can hardly imaging that that thin shredded piece of rag hanging there right now is dampening much noise at all.
T3messie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust behind weird crappy engine insulation (yuk!) Reply with quote

Your heater exhaust is blowing on the fuel line, if it is working.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rust behind weird crappy engine insulation (yuk!) Reply with quote

T3messie wrote:
Your heater exhaust is blowing on the fuel line, if it is working.

You mean this pic?

That's an interior heater which I never use while driving > in fact I never use it anyway [but I would like to start using it].
Remember this is a DIESEL van so fuel lines are not so sensitive [if I understand correctly].
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rust behind weird crappy engine insulation (yuk!) Reply with quote

.....ripped it all out
..... cleaned it up and ground off all the rust
.....treated the rust and painted with epoxy primer, then a general coat of black underbody tar...

Feels great to have this under control now.

Eventually I will add some sound absorbing material on the inside of the van in that area.

TheMonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust behind weird crappy engine insulation (yuk!) Reply with quote

The noise wasn't bothersome...... but then again the US Army tells me that I can't hear, they 4F'd me during the Vietnam "conflict".

Big Wednesday!☺
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rust behind weird crappy engine insulation (yuk!) Reply with quote

I just got back from a successful test drive - testing out a new used DM 091 geabox ....I can't hear any difference in engine loudness between when that insulation was there, and now that it is all gone. I don't think it was dampening much noise at all. Nevertheless I will add some sound insulation on the inside of the van under the bench area - to quieten things down a bit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: