Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mom and Dads 1971 Westfalia - Bringing it back to life!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Mom and Dads 1971 Westfalia - Bringing it back to life! Reply with quote

Stu, what booster and MC did you use? Gonna have to do that job on my ‘71.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Mom and Dads 1971 Westfalia - Bringing it back to life! Reply with quote

Dang, nice job Stu. Now I see why you don't have any free time down here Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mom and Dads 1971 Westfalia - Bringing it back to life! Reply with quote

Bush power brake in national city has the boosters on the shelf he does so many. $165 and trade him the original. Stellar guy. Aeromech uses him often.

Master was a TRW, can’t speak for the quality yet but it already has a wee bit of surface rust, so maybe por 15 it before install? Or at least paint.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mom and Dads 1971 Westfalia - Bringing it back to life! Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Master was a TRW, can’t speak for the quality yet but it already has a wee bit of surface rust, so maybe por 15 it before install? Or at least paint.

Glad to hear Bush is still doing business. The last four of five cars I've seen with new master cylidners all had rusty master cylinders. I painted mine black two years ago, and it spot-rusted on the spot that brake fluid driblled when I bled it during instal. Otherwise it's holding fine. I highly recommend painting them for instal if you have the time to clean them properly first.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pic was last year… I have since gotten some boots on those wires!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mom and Dads 1971 Westfalia - Bringing it back to life! Reply with quote

Tanks mang!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Mom and Dads 1971 Westfalia - Bringing it back to life! Reply with quote

Cleaned the interior out a bit and organized a tad bit:

Went to reinstall the newly rebuilt calipers, and found the shouldered bolts to not fit...got out the dremel and a sanding wheel and it’s happy now. Massaged it into place...:

Bled the brakes with the new to us pneumatic brake bleeder from HF, thanks buggee for the suggestion!

Then got the right wheel seals the THIRD time to the store...that was irritating...

But that means I can put these all back together...

Which left us happily able to put it back on the ground for a test on the front before the rear drop plates show up...

Then we pulled the window out to replace it.... not ideal but we aren’t worried about the seal for the moment, just getting the glass replaced with unbroken. So we clear POR15 the sill, it’s getting a second and maybe third coat in the morning and then the window is going back in. Eventually the correct repairs will be done, just not till it’s a runner driver Wink

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Mom and Dads 1971 Westfalia - Bringing it back to life! Reply with quote

Well, after last night landing on a nice sharp scraper right to the ball of my foot, I took it much easier today and tried to stay off my feet.

Didn’t work, we still did some work...

Pulled the curtain from behind the closet without taking out the closet yet. Mom is making new curtains....Smile

With two passengers up front, it’s still got a inch or two gap at the top of the wheel, to which chris is very happy with. Both of us are excited to see where Nate’s 3.5” drop plates will set the rear. Chris is also grabbing a set of Konis all around.

Few moments of fun here:

That’s what it’s all about, enjoying the bus. It’s all we can do, and I’m glad we are putting it together in a way he is happy with! Smile

And just a few moments later...

New windshield! I’ll snap some daytime pics tomorrow Smile

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Mom and Dads 1971 Westfalia - Bringing it back to life! Reply with quote

Stuart, I have been reading your posts for a long time now, and I am impressed with how you have learned and grown as a mechanic. Keep it up! Good to see you young'uns working on stuff, successfully.
One thing I have gotten in the habit of doing is always taking my old parts to the parts store to compare with the new parts to make sure I get the right things. I do the comparision, and do not rely on, or even agree with the parts guy/gal when they say "looks like it should fit!" if it doesn't look like it to me. I will take my caliper if need be and measure on the spot. I hate making return trips to get the right part if I can avoid it.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mom and Dads 1971 Westfalia - Bringing it back to life! Reply with quote

Got the rear dropped down to sit level with the front....:

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Mom and Dads 1971 Westfalia - Bringing it back to life! Reply with quote

Is it time for Updates yet??

Suuuuuure.

quite a bit has been done since that last update, so ill get right to it:

Engine was built and properly broken in by GemVW in lake Elsinore area of California. the ancillaries are not fully ready yet to put on, literally waiting on paint to dry Laughing

all said and done the choices were made to to a 4-2-1 header into a side exit exhaust, similar to a sidewinder style. A 75 amp alternator conversion, chrome was the only option but it will match the new 360* crank pulley and the polished up intake manifold and alternator stand well. not to mention the Volksbitz Carb, and the Bill Fowler special on the distributor, it will come together nicely with a bit of shine to it. the engine tin was opted to be painted Cast Iron VHT engine paint by Chris, followed by a few coats of high temp satin clear. i have a few test pictures to see how the colors worked out, but its not fully assembled quite yet. (SO CLOSE!)

(note rebuilt factory transmission, now geared very similar to a late bay, by TransWerks in El Cajon sitting in the background there....)

so close to going in....

had a fitment issue on the rear tin behind the crank pulley due to the oil cooler outlets. had a bit of trimming to do to get it to clear, and the nuts still run a tab on the back. not my cleanest cut....(might be getting a new replacement tin....)

Flanged fittings on the heater boxes to mount cleanly to the header setup....

in regards to electrical and fun bits up front....i asked Chris to print of the diagram for wiring....

it came out the wrong size at first...

Got the dash cluster out and cleaned it gently. Added a JustKampers early bay tach. also found a diagram and instructions for it since it didnt come with them...Rolling Eyes

also test fit gauges, looking like they will be mounted 3 and three on either side of the steering column:

(note that theres two boost gauges. We are only going to use the Boost/Vac gauge, the other one is not being installed.)
total list of gauges include:
Oil temp
Oil PSI
CHT Dakota Digital
Voltage
Boost/Vacuum
and slot 6 is undecided but will be filled for asthetics. was thinking a USB charger pot or something, but than a suggestion of a Wideband Air Fuel ratio gauge came up....we shall see! (anyone have info on where i can find the DD wideband gauge?? i cant find it!)

and the tach of course!

I didnt have the tach wired in yet, so the dash lights (now LED) didnt light up tach for this pic:

but I even finished that last night....green to match the other lighting Cool

Posting these for tach wiring reference:

i removed the pins for the brown/slate wire, and the Red/Blue (wires 1 and 3 respectively) and went with the white and black (4) for the smoother tach signal, and black to ground (into back of gauge cluster) and green to switched power (i think fuse 8 or 9) and then ran a solid white wire to the engine under the vehicle for signal from the negative side of the coil.

then while i was under there i ran a thermocouple wire (on red and one white) front to back for the CHT gauge, and a blue wire and a green wire for oil pressure and oil temp signal wires.

onto some mechanical..:

rear sway bar install went decent, however due to the horseshoe drop plates the bar hits when set up per the instructions, so heres a reference to anyone else going down AND adding the empi rear bar:

as you can see, if you mount the bar any different the bar hits the bolt heads on the trailing arm so i was forced to mount it a tad lower by changing up the order of assembly.

and yes i prefer the cups facing away from the poly bushing so they can move around. its intentional.

Fuel tank installed:

new rubber heater tube gaskets:

also found the passenger front window clamp to be a tad rusted so got two replacements on the way from Ken at the Busco, along with a few other parts for the 77....

noticed this was a bug headlight switch knob...so its getting replaced too...

then we realized the dimmer function is faulty too (sizzles when you turn the knob) so it may just get a whole new switch!

thats all for the moment, stay tune and it should be on the road soon!

206-841-7324
[email protected]
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Mom and Dads 1971 Westfalia - Bringing it back to life! Reply with quote

Where did you get the green instrument lights? They look great.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Mom and Dads 1971 Westfalia - Bringing it back to life! Reply with quote

Chris - looking good! Stu will have you on the road soon enough.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Mom and Dads 1971 Westfalia - Bringing it back to life! Reply with quote

Link

206-841-7324
[email protected]
hoagy86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mom and Dads 1971 Westfalia - Bringing it back to life! Reply with quote

Looks great
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mom and Dads 1971 Westfalia - Bringing it back to life! Reply with quote

You should not have had any issues at all with the shoulder bolts. Something isn’t right. As I understand it, the 1971-2(?) calipers are slightly different or smaller than later years. I wonder what you have there?
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Mom and Dads 1971 Westfalia - Bringing it back to life! Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, there's no pics of the fan shroud from the front side showing the linkage for the flap assemblies. Is all that in place and incorporated with a functional thermostat?
hangwind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mom and Dads 1971 Westfalia - Bringing it back to life! Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing! Enjoyed reading...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: