Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AutoCAD Pole Barn or Shop dwg
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: AutoCAD Pole Barn or Shop dwg Reply with quote

Anyone have an AutoCAD dwg or dxf file for a pole barn or shop that they would like to share?

Tried google but only found houses and dead links..

I really just need a basic drawing to start from.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCAD Pole Barn or Shop dwg Reply with quote

Need more info, floor sq ft, wall/ceiling height,building style( gable, gambrel,quonset)?
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCAD Pole Barn or Shop dwg Reply with quote

Looking to get a building similar to this put up.

A post frame pole barn, 40x60x16 with a small living space inside.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just need a basic pole barn drawing to lay out a small apartment inside (plumbing etc), dimensions don't matter as I can tweak it in autocad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCAD Pole Barn or Shop dwg Reply with quote

You don't need autocad or a computer to do what you want. Go to the store and buy a pad of quadrille paper (call it "graph paper" if you want). 4 squares per inch. So in 1/4 "per foot scale; 1 square equals 1 ft. Now get a nice sharp pencil. Not a pen------a pencil. And an eraser. You won't even need an architects "scale"-------a ruler will do. Or----just count the squares. Remember, each square equals 1 foot-----a half square equals 6 inches, etc. With a straight edge you can now draw lines on the paper with your sharp pencil. And you can erase those lines with your eraser and relocate them if you want to move a wall.
Oh-----don't forget to allow for wall thickness between rooms and exterior walls.
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCAD Pole Barn or Shop dwg Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
You don't need autocad or a computer to do what you want. Go to the store and buy a pad of quadrille paper (call it "graph paper" if you want). 4 squares per inch. So in 1/4 "per foot scale; 1 square equals 1 ft. Now get a nice sharp pencil. Not a pen------a pencil. And an eraser. You won't even need an architects "scale"-------a ruler will do. Or----just count the squares. Remember, each square equals 1 foot-----a half square equals 6 inches, etc. With a straight edge you can now draw lines on the paper with your sharp pencil. And you can erase those lines with your eraser and relocate them if you want to move a wall.
Oh-----don't forget to allow for wall thickness between rooms and exterior walls.

And call Chuck on your bag phone if you have any questions.
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCAD Pole Barn or Shop dwg Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:

funny! I can just pick up my rotary and ask betty to connect me.

I do appreciate your input, but.. I have gone through about a half a pad of grid paper sketching this in different layouts.

I would rather do this in autocad and save some time. Already have the program, just thought someone here might have a generic pole barn drawing to start from. I have plenty of residential home drawings I can pull stuff from.. but it's more difficult than you would think to find a free pole barn dwg online.

Cad makes it so much easier to rearrange kitchen and bathroom fixtures, furniture etc in block form.. change walls, etc.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCAD Pole Barn or Shop dwg Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
iowegian wrote:

HEY!!!!!!--------I got one of them newfangled "flip-phones" now. Laughing
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCAD Pole Barn or Shop dwg Reply with quote

Put the living quarters up on a mezzanine so you max the slab area under the mezzanine, you can then insulate the mezz. floor really well, and the hot air in the shop is up there to reduce your heating bill. Of course, the walls between the living area and shop need to be fire rated, as well as the door. I'd have a second means of egress out that has nothing to do with the shop.

Sketch by hand helps make you make decisions. Problem with autocad is people will dick around endlessly tweaking shit to little advantage, and often end up back where they started, because the first thing they thought of was the most efficient solution. Meanwhile I dropped a sketch on their desk hours ago and am off having fun.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCAD Pole Barn or Shop dwg Reply with quote

Quite a few in Sketchup's Warehouse....

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/search/?q=pole%20barn

But you'll need to be running Sketchup to open them, I've been using the free version for years and it works great for design & layout work. And you can export in DXF format from SKUP using a few different plugins that are available in the plug-in's section... Though you kind of have to try a few different ones depending on what you want to open the DXF with as sometimes the translations can be buggy depending on actual geometry constraints contained in any design...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: