Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1961 So34 Westy, sweet secret!
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: 1961 So34 Westy, sweet secret! Reply with quote

I decided to cut open my perfectly decent westy seat (I could see the OG covers underneath..).

Not bad?!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The rest of the bus needs a bit more work than I can put into it right now. The whole bus needs to be dipped in vinegar!

This is after 1 hour with a wet vinegar rag..(wipe with water after). The metal is perfect but do I have the patience to do the whole bus??

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 So34 Westy, sweet secret! Reply with quote

Use a phosphoric acid instead like Ospho, and it leaves a coating that will keep the rust away for a few weeks. That way you can get a whole section de-rusted and then primed at least.
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 So34 Westy, sweet secret! Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Use a phosphoric acid instead like Ospho, and it leaves a coating that will keep the rust away for a few weeks. That way you can get a whole section de-rusted and then primed at least.

How aggressive is it to the metal? The bus was previously media blasted and left outside (whyyy??). Should I just get it glass beaded/dustless blasted instead.

Not sure where I'm at with this bus, it's rare but I'm not a Westy guy.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 So34 Westy, sweet secret! Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:

How aggressive is it to the metal? The bus was previously media blasted and left outside (whyyy??). Should I just get it glass beaded/dustless blasted instead.

It will only remove the rust and not the metal.

After the acid dries completely and you give it a good light sanding, you can then use a cold galvanizing epoxy primer like the "Matte" finish as sold from AirGas shops. It has a 98% zinc content. It will seal the rust out for a good long time, if you need more time to sort out if you are going to paint it or sell it as is.

Cheap primer should only be used if you are painting it very soon afterward.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 So34 Westy, sweet secret! Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:
I decided to cut open my perfectly decent westy seat (I could see the OG covers underneath..).

Not bad?!

The rest of the bus needs a bit more work than I can put into it right now. The whole bus needs to be dipped in vinegar!

This is after 1 hour with a wet vinegar rag..(wipe with water after). The metal is perfect but do I have the patience to do the whole bus??

You have the full kit?
Early campers are all the rage now, you wouldn't have any problem moving it and besides, don't you have a lowlight Ghia to do now?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 So34 Westy, sweet secret! Reply with quote

I have waayy too much stuff right now, don't know what happened. The kit is mostly complete except the cupboards (upright) are all take down and apart. And I don't know Westy stuff but I'm sure it's missing some bits and pieces.

The Lowlight is getting painted bodywork/paint once it thaws out. The problem up here is we only have like 4 good months of weather.

I need to move to Cali!!!
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 So34 Westy, sweet secret! Reply with quote

A bit of vinegar to get rid of the surface rust...

62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 So34 Westy, sweet secret! Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:
A bit of vinegar to get rid of the surface rust...

How do you plan on neutralizing the vinegar after it's had its way with the rust? I've used vinegar on small parts & pieces with surface rust, but I'm digging the approach on an entire bus. Looking forward to seeing how you move forward.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 So34 Westy, sweet secret! Reply with quote

Water. It's store brand, low acidic content. Lotta work!
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 So34 Westy, sweet secret! Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:

Have you thought of using craft water?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 So34 Westy, sweet secret! Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:

Problem is then the rust will return shortly. Are you going to use a phosphoric acid rinse after the water has dried up?
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 So34 Westy, sweet secret! Reply with quote

We must have some special 'craft' water, it doesn't rust afterwards. The vinegar after it's removed leaves a slightly yellow colour.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 So34 Westy, sweet secret! Reply with quote

When I have large sections of surface rust to deal with, I like to use muriatic acid. It would make quick work of what you're doing. Rinse with water then apply phosphoric acid. Just be sure to do it outside and away from any tools of metals. Just the vapor of muriatic acid will flash rust anything in sight.

I prefer a locally made craft acid, but the stuff from Home Depot will work in a pinch.

Cool Bus.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 So34 Westy, sweet secret! Reply with quote

So here we have it..

CRAFT Vinegar!
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 So34 Westy, sweet secret! Reply with quote

The vinegar is messy enough (smells good!) so I'm a bit afraid to try any other acids, especially stronger than this (muratic or phosphoric). But I might have to for the inside. Takes lots of time to put on, take off, clean etc.

I put a sppriinkle of primer on top so it's easy to remove 'just in case', but I sanded it from 180 to 360 verry gently.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 So34 Westy, sweet secret! Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:
The vinegar is messy enough (smells good!) so I'm a bit afraid to try any other acids, especially stronger than this (muratic or phosphoric). But I might have to for the inside. Takes lots of time to put on, take off, clean etc.

I put a sppriinkle of primer on top so it's easy to remove 'just in case', but I sanded it from 180 to 360 verry gently.

Phosphoric acid is not that much stronger. Once soaked a set of mid 1950s bus taillights in phosphoric over night to remove heavy surface rust. TLs came out looking almost new, no damage to the chrome, plastic, glass, and only the rust removed from the steel. Even the tiny electrical screws all turned loose with ease.

Had to fight off rust inside the roof of our 1960 walk thru panel camper. DPO had installed indoor/outdoor carpet with the very thin foam rubber coating on the back side, glued to the surface of the roof. Which held any moisture right to the factory painted metal. Only found this out when brushed my head against the ceiling, and a square of the carpet came tumbling down with a rain of rust. Took many weeks of wire wheel, sanding, and applying phosphoric acid over night to get it all out, an hour or two at a time of hands on work each night after work. Acid was a must to loosen up the rust that the wire wheel could not, and get all the rust out of each pitted hole int he metal.

Do also beware of the sprinkle of primer, plenty of others have done that and had the moisture in the air get thru the primer, causing rust to form under the primer. Doubly so with cheap primer that does not seal the metal from the air, but is just for sticking to metal so paint will stick to the primer. Not helpful to have to do it all over again.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 So34 Westy, sweet secret! Reply with quote

^^X2^^

Get 100% of the rust out of the bottom of the little pits it makes.
Otherwise, it will work it’s evil under the paint/primer you put over.

Phosphoric is your chemical to use.
You don’t have to get 100% of it off before paint/prime.
Unlike vinegar, which is likely to cause adhesion issues..

What’s That Noise?!?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: