Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Does the motor pull the taller ratio on the highway loaded without getting hot?
Any ‘monster bus’ I ever knew would get hot from the fan turning too slow..

Time for a R/P?

Turd in the punch bowl rears ugly head.. Laughing

What’s That Noise?!?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Does the motor pull the taller ratio on the highway loaded without getting hot?
Any ‘monster bus’ I ever knew would get hot from the fan turning too slow..

Time for a R/P?

Turd in the punch bowl rears ugly head.. Laughing

How the hell would I know? You talk like I actually drive this thing. Rolling Eyes

I just like throwing $ at it and make it look purdy. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

If the stock engine is having trouble keeping cool when moving those big tires, throw a 1.8T in there and fix the problem .. permanently. Twisted Evil
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
If the stock engine is having trouble keeping cool when moving those big tires, throw a 1.8T in there and fix the problem .. permanently. Twisted Evil

Pfew Rolling Eyes Good thing I dont have a stock motor. Cool Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Some center caps snap into the lug nuts and wedge in the center.

Looks fun! Cant wait to lift it correctly Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Laughing
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

The next big thing is to finish off the suspension. Ive always wanted a mild lift with tires like I have now. The plan is to get the 2.5" lifted front spindles from Wagens West. That I have to do....

But for the rear I can get different......

One way that I know of for sure and is the old, easy way out is to change the index on my rear spring plates. Im not sure of the pros and cons to this so I hope others can chime in?

Another way is to get a notched spring plate - use a lowering one and flip sides? Im not sure how this one would work out.

So my ultimate objective was to get a 3-4in total lift with some bigger 15's like sxuxrxf did on his bus back in 2012 and started me on this path. He just did the front spindles and re-indexed the rear. Also added 944 CV's.

How would you lift it? And please post some pics if possible. Id love to see the fancy parts if applicable.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

The plan for the front is solid. As for the back, if you reindex you'll be inadvertently increasing your spring rate. I suggest something like flipped lowering plate although I think they sell lifting ones too, so I'd look into that more heavily.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Couple fun things came into play recently.

Xevin was going to have a sleepover here at Mi Casa, but he flaked out last minute. Rolling Eyes Instead Robbie, Stewart and new guy Chris came over and we BBQ'd and drank. There may of been some smoking, but I don't know nothing about that.

We ate, drank and even sang. The boys took the 77 out for a spin to check out the Camper Special.

Link

Yesterday I finished putting my special fabbed brackets on my bus to mount the Bat Wing Awning. This awning is pretty insane and brings a lot of shade to the party.

Soon the lift kit will be here. Once thats mounted. Im done with this bus......I think Confused

Link

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Xevin was going to have a sleepover here at Mi Casa, but he flaked out last minute. Rolling Eyes

Well, if it's any consolation, Kevin, Katie, Eva and I had a nice dinner in downtown Gilbert last night. Wink

It was great to hang out with Kev and Katie even though Katie wanted to steal our beloved dog and my 67 bug. Laughing

Great folks!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

So you wont do that damnd vent in the roof?

Thank goodness.

Excited to install the lift kit...Very Happy

Btw if anyone ever wants to not hear from Robbie again, simply open his engine hatch before he drives off. He’ll never text you back again!

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Xevin was going to have a sleepover here at Mi Casa, but he flaked out last minute. Rolling Eyes

Well, if it's any consolation, Kevin, Katie, Eva and I had a nice dinner in downtown Gilbert last night. Wink

It was great to hang out with Kev and Katie even though Katie wanted to steal our beloved dog and my 67 bug. Laughing

Great folks!

Katie got the dog and the 67 bug Wink (Don’t worry I shut the garage door Laughing )

Next time San Diego brothers, next time. Bill and Eva are an amazing couple. Katie describes them as “Magnificent”

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Well Im glad you kids had a good time. Thats all that counts in the end. Lots of San Diego peeps ready to see you and Xatie next time brother. Wink Cool

Um, duh. If I get these vents made....... Rolling Eyes Laughing

I took some stills of the awning last well last night. This thing is pretty cool to say the least. You can also make a fort out of it if you are so inclined.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Yep, really wanted to make it out but I made the right call hanging out with my cousin I’ve seen once in 25 years. We had an epic time catching up. Plus now I have a key to a house 2 hours from you all Cool many more trips to come.

Dude! Shocked that Bat Wing is sick. How is it to stand underneath? Does your head hit the top? How would it be in the rain up here as far as drainage goes?
Please give me details.

And WTF is Stu talking about with Robbies engine hatch? I don’t get the joke.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

That last pic is an RC car Laughing

206-841-7324
[email protected]
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

Dude! Shocked that Bat Wing is sick. How is it to stand underneath? Does your head hit the top? How would it be in the rain up here as far as drainage goes?
Please give me details.

Yes my head barley hits it. In the pics I had the poles higher creating a slant. Most people wont have any issue being under it. Me? Well it comes with the territory. But its still a non issue.

Its made for the rain for sure. This is vinyl coated mesh reinforced nylon. Not flimsy. More than adequate for PNW weather.

Link

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Looks interesting. Is there a way to mount the batwing to get full coverage over the sliding door or is the most coverage possible as pictured?
(sold - but not forgotten)
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:

Looks interesting. Is there a way to mount the batwing to get full coverage over the sliding door or is the most coverage possible as pictured?

No thats as far forward it can be due to the pivot point at he rear for the wrap around. Im sure if you didnt have the need to pop a top - standard roof - then it can come forward some, like 6 inches.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

Thanks. I have a Westy top and that is a deal breaker for me.
Perhaps we can convince them to make a reverse pattern so the extension goes toward the front of the bus.

I think those dimensions would work. Can you take measurements to verify?
(sold - but not forgotten)
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1977 Westfalia Camper-The story of how we met Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:
Thanks. I have a Westy top and that is a deal breaker for me.
Perhaps we can convince them to make a reverse pattern so the extension goes toward the front of the bus.

I think those dimensions would work. Can you take measurements to verify?

BUSBOSS you are killing me. Can you not search "batwing awning"? Google is your friend. It even powers the search function on this very site.

The case it resides in is about 8.858268 ft long AND they make a left swing one for those that are into that. Think Applause Rolling Eyes Personally an 8ft wide stick hanging across my buses ass would be a deal breaker. Ill deal with a little less shade at the slider and have more on my ass & hip all from the same awning. I live in an arid region now so no sky agua as much. Cool

Ask me to get out of my warm comfy chair again and you will owe me a sixer and $11.69. Rolling Eyes

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 36

Jump to: