Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

squareweave wrote:
calebmelvin wrote:
Roscoe wrote:
Too bad those repro’s that Gavin from DB Resoration was reproducing no longer exists. Those were pretty spot on. Where did that dude go?

I wish I would have picked up a couple sets when he was doing them!

I have original fiberglass molds for VW seat based seats. I also do auto trim and if there was serious interest in period correct front and rear seats and covers I might be talked into making a batch of seats with covers. I also have the original rear seat from my Manx 1 that I could use as a pattern for rear seats.

You know ill take one or two sets if you make them up!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

calebmelvin
Samba Member

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

Oy! She's right mate!

Looks like a buggy in OZ.

Of course there was an American Glitterbug too. Manufactured by San Fernando Auto Body (later San Fernando Buggy Center). I have a Glitterbug Sportsman. But an American Glitterbug has a raised 'rib' down the center of the front hood. Otherwise looks pretty similar. Another imitation Manx.

I'm trying to figure out what the white cord is wrapped around the fender mount mirror. Maybe a scratch in the picture?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

Just looks like a cord, not connected to anything.

Some odd ones here:

'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

YDBD wrote:
Some odd ones here:

Top right is a Fiberfab, bottom right a Bounty Hunter. Original looking Baja.

I've seen the "Push Me -Pull You" in a magazine, twin engine with one engine/transaxle driving normally and the other engine/transaxle turned back to front with its ring gear flipped. It was steered by differential braking.

Somebody should build another

This was on Cort Elgar's Old School Dune Buggies page back in Jan 2016:

Dick Thompson, owner of Thompson Dune Buggies of Gilroy, California, built the push- pull VW engined buggy, a member of the Salinas Sand Bugs. Photo at Marina Beach, CA in 1970.

calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:

I'm trying to figure out what the white cord is wrapped around the fender mount mirror. Maybe a scratch in the picture?

Maybe they used it to tie something down? it is in a weird spot...
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
YDBD wrote:
Some odd ones here:

I've seen the "Push Me -Pull You" in a magazine, twin engine with one engine/transaxle driving normally and the other engine/transaxle turned back to front with its ring gear flipped. It was steered by differential braking.

That is so awesome. Someone should definitely make one.
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

Caleb- Those knock-offs albeit slightly blurry look pretty sweet in that last photo. The woman is hot too...she looks clumsy trying to get out of the Manx. Great photos! Thanks for all your contributions to this thread!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

I’ve struggled for years trying to decide which I like more side pods or without....I think I always go back to preferring them without side pods.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

Or is the lady sliding into the driver's seat???

Paul

(With way more projects than spare time!)
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

Those particular photos (and the one above of the bikini girl pulling trying to pull the guy out of the buggy) are from the 1967 Car and Driver magazine article where they review the Manx - the photo in question shows ease of entry and exit.

If I recall correctly, Bruce received hundreds of orders nearly overnight from the publicity of that article (as the story goes).

hillmotorsports wrote:

Paul

calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

stevemariott wrote:
Those particular photos (and the one above of the bikini girl pulling trying to pull the guy out of the buggy) are from the 1967 Car and Driver magazine article where they review the Manx - the photo in question shows ease of entry and exit.

If I recall correctly, Bruce received hundreds of orders nearly overnight from the publicity of that article (as the story goes).

hillmotorsports wrote:

Paul

Yes!! You guys just reminded me that I need this issue for my collection. Just picked one up on eBay for a song.

calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

Roscoe wrote:
I’ve struggled for years trying to decide which I like more side pods or without....I think I always go back to preferring them without side pods.

You know, I have debated this too. I think that road cars can look good with them, but absolutely not for an off road buggy. And I think that road buggies are a strange breed (I know, don't shoot me road buggy owners) and like mine how Bruce intended, off road style.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

Interesting cover photo, I get the girl in the swimsuit connection to a beach buggy. Was the girl in pajamas at the beach an effort to clean up the cover for the supermarket crowd?

Or was pajamas the usual beach attire that year? Wink

Not that there is anything wrong with the photo, it just strikes me as odd. Mind you when I look at it again the dude is in white nicely creased dress pants and has an undershirt on so maybe it was too cold to go swimming that day?
Marlin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage/contemporary nostalgic built dunebuggy pictures Reply with quote

Early Manx photo of Newport Beach location

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 26

Jump to: