Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shift rod bushing question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

Does this ...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Go in here ... ?

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

Yep. The cleaner the shift rod and bushing holster are, the longer the bushing will last (so clean well!) SuperLube makes a clear grease that works really well on those. New bushings on the market don’t seem to last very long in the presence of petroleum-based grease, though it’s better than nothing.

I bet the shifter handle ball and socket could use a good cleaning too.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips! I guess I will need to take apart the coupler that's a little ways down the shift rod to install this, right?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

hiwaycallin wrote:
Thanks for the tips! I guess I will need to take apart the coupler that's a little ways down the shift rod to install this, right?

Correct.

Here are some words:
Transaxle in first.

Cut the safety wire if it’s a square head bolt (there is safety wire, RIGHT?) and get the grub screw out of the foreword shift coupler (near the beam.) Clean it and set it aside.

Hit the coupler joint with PB blaster if it looks antiquated.

Shift normally into “second.” If you’re lucky, the transaxle will stay in first and you will have disconnected the shift rods with minimal effort.

Adjust the reverse lockout plate normally once everything is cleaned and greased, but you can leave the transaxle in first gear instead of the Bentley-prescribed second gear. 90% of the time it will be perfect anyway, once in a while it will get you so close that you can easily shift into second to repeat the adjustment.

I avoid guessing what gear I’m in, and leaving the transaxle in first is both consistent AND easier to separate the shift rods.

Good luck,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiwaycallin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

That all went perfectly smoothly. Thanks again for all the tips. As for the remaining bushings in the kit, are these all for when the transmission is out? Mine's a '78 btw.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

The two on the left are the central bushings for when the transaxle is out.

Then comes the late bug bushing followed by the early bay bushing. The black one on the right? No idea.
Robbie
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
The two on the left are the central bushings for when the transaxle is out.

Then comes the late bug bushing followed by the early bay bushing. The black one on the right? No idea.
Robbie

Was gonna say the black one for the early style front shift bushing, but then came across this...

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

the originals usually work better than the aftermarket replacements on those central shuttlecocks.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the originals usually work better than the aftermarket replacements on those central shuttlecocks.

Totally agree.

A suggestion to the OP as well. Clean that tube and shift rod clean and smooth. Then, be generous with whatever grease you choose inside the tube. I wasn't and paid for it with those shuttlecocks squeaking when I changed gears. I fixed it now though.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

I know... late to the party, but help me out here. Ratwell says the spring ring goes on the front of the rear shaft. Bentley has a picture on page 10 of the trans section. the spring ring is close to the front bushing and on the wrong side of the back bushing.

This pic has the spring on the rear bushing. My kit has 2 nubs on the rear bushing, my shaft has 2 holes in the rear, and the kit's bushing has a trough for the ring on the two nub bushing.

1. I am gonna put the ring on the rear.

2. what is the deal with this part. I see some non-USA websites with what looks like quality stuff. But I got crap from a USA vendor. Stuff doesn't look like it will last 20K miles. Nothing comes up as USA when searching with the part #, why?

aerosurfer wrote:

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

the repop shuttlecocks are all junk in my opinion. If the originals are still good use them instead. We all get the same junk no matter who ships it. I have not seen nos shuttlecocks for sale anywhere.

SK
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the repop shuttlecocks are all junk in my opinion. If the originals are still good use them instead. We all get the same junk no matter who ships it. I have not seen nos shuttlecocks for sale anywhere.

SK

You might be right, the ones I think look higher quality, could just be old pictures. Maybe I'll get a few sets from across the pond.

That really sucks. I mean you have to pull the damn engine and transmission to get these things installed.

Seems like someone could design one for the front of the tube and one for the back. Maybe a split one that is held together with some hardware. Plus being on the end of the tube, maybe it could act as the seal too.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

I have had good luck with WW. you'll for sure need to clean the casting flash off. I use the original C clip/spring.

I bought some NOS ones from bug city. not sure if he has any left

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
I know... late to the party, but help me out here. Ratwell says the spring ring goes on the front of the rear shaft. Bentley has a picture on page 10 of the trans section. the spring ring is close to the front bushing and on the wrong side of the back bushing.

This pic has the spring on the rear bushing. My kit has 2 nubs on the rear bushing, my shaft has 2 holes in the rear, and the kit's bushing has a trough for the ring on the two nub bushing.

1. I am gonna put the ring on the rear.

2. what is the deal with this part. I see some non-USA websites with what looks like quality stuff. But I got crap from a USA vendor. Stuff doesn't look like it will last 20K miles. Nothing comes up as USA when searching with the part #, why?

aerosurfer wrote:

Yeah, for the record, the layout in that image is wrong: I posted a corrected layout in the shift-bushing thread, but outside of that, the discrepant photo that Aerosurfer posted will forever circulate this forum (and sadly, the Internet, since a search will reveal that incorrect reference). If you look real closely, somebody at some time tried to correct the front/rear descriptions, but they actually fucked it up in doing so...my redlined version corrects that fuckup. Edit: I could be wrong, they may have switched the positions at some point, so it's correct for early Bays, and opposite for late Bays...more to come, I hope (see below a few posts, hopefully we can get to the bottom of it someday).

[/img]

Last edited by Busstom on Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

I think the picture I included is correct. I am getting all confused now.

my problem is where the spring goes. The factory made it where you can't screw up on where the bushing goes. one has one nub and one has 2 nubs. The locations in the rod are set with 1 hole and 2 holes. So unless you cut off a nub, I can't screw that up.... I HOPE. Rolling Eyes

And I want high quality parts. At least decent parts. Especially if I have to pull the engine to put more crappy parts on. I am not going to plan on removing the engine every other year.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
I think the picture I included is correct. I am getting all confused now.

my problem is where the spring goes. The factory made it where you can't screw up on where the bushing goes. one has one nub and one has 2 nubs. The locations in the rod are set with 1 hole and 2 holes. So unless you cut off a nub, you can't screw that up.... I HOPE. Rolling Eyes

And I want high quality parts. At least decent parts. Especially if I have to pull the engine to put more crappy parts on. I am not going to plan on removing the engine every other year.

So I'm probably wrong to make a blanket statement: as you said, you can't mess up with the nub counts; and as Ratwell said, the bushing with the expansion ring goes on the front of the main (long) shift rod (that's how mine was when I took it apart, 1975 model). If I understand your question, about where the "spring" goes, it can only fit into one bushing type, and so wherever your bushing was that holds the spring is where it should be returned to, and I'm pretty sure the feathers all point to the rear, so that would be the orientation.

Where I'm starting to see that the confusion arises is: -179 is the one that holds the spring, and according to the "2/68" manual pages in this thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=576961&start=20 (see JirkaB's post on May 10, 2018) it suggests the opposite (-185B with NO SPRING goes in the front, and -179 WITH SPRING goes in the rear).

Within those quotes, you can see that SGKent wrote that the fisches actually do switch them at some point, so I guess it's possible that it changed around 72-73, and they switched the end that the spring goes.

So if this can be confirmed, then perhaps the diagram and layout of P/N's versus locations should stipulate that there was an end-for-end change at some year-point, and that it shouldn't be blanket that that orientation goes for 68 all the way to 79.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

is this part of the Cheapo Bushing situation?

I installed the bushings and the rear bellows. Greased them up and inserted the shaft. the shaft stopped at the RED line of the rear bushing. I pushed and pushed and the damn shaft moved in but the bushing did not. The Nubs came out of the holes.

So what is next? How do I get the rear bushing to stay in the holes of the shaft and go in the tube?

I need atleast 7" to meet up with the front shaft.

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

It's binding due to the outwardly expanded condition of the spring, and it may be exacerbated by some minor tolerance issues with the bushing itself. It is designed to compress quite a bit when you insert the rod/bushing into the tube so that it maintains tension within the tube over its lifespan. Because of this, it's a good idea to lube the inside of the spring groove and reinsert the spring afterwards, this will help reduce the friction of the bushing as it compresses diametrically around the spring.

Did you do a trial fitment of the bushing by itself before clipping it onto the shift rod? Try that, inserting it into the tube backwards, with the open leaves going in first, this way you can grip the small smooth diameter with your fingers and reciprocate it in and out a bit in the tube (don't push too far and lose your grip). By doing this, you can see how much compression is required to actually get it past that spring point, and how much drag the spring actually puts on the rod (it needs to be draggy).

Based on your description, you just never made it past the compression stage, and it bound up and pushing on the rod overcame the grip of the nubs...I'm sure the pulling effect you created on the bushing by pushing on the rod just stressed it and it expanded the sleeve portion of the bushing and it popped off. So, somehow, you're going to have to come up with a way to compress the spring ring enough to get past that point, and once it's in, it's in, you'll have all the inches you need.

Maybe try wrapping a zip-tie tightly around the sleeve over the nubs to help hold it together, if you need to, I'm just trying to think outside the box.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

Thanks.
I also thought of a zip tie. My 1st thought was on the spring. I figured as it went in the tie would pop off and stay out of the tube where i could cut it off.

2nd thought was on the nubs. But it would have to stay on. Do you see a problem with a zip tie remaining wrapped and tied? It seems the tie would not touch the tube. But i feel like the tie-lock could touch and be a potential issue.

Now that i have 2 problems i might have to tie both places

Thoughts?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing question Reply with quote

You can't (and shouldn't) try to zip-tie the spring, it has to remain unfettered so that it can function as designed. The only place you should zip-tie is around the nub portion of the bushing. I really think you should try again, and rotate the shift rod when passing the spring through the opening, and massage it into place (after a bare trial fit). If that doesn't work, perhaps a hose clamp temporarily to compress it a bit where it passes through the end of the tube, then remove it, but you shouldn't have to go to that extent, it should compress with fingertip pressure.

By the way, I don't think you have two problems, I think you just need to secure the part of the bushing around the nubs, especially since it seems a little bit weakened from straining and popping apart once already.

And also, no, as long as you can get the "buckle" portion of the zip-tie past the I.D. of the tube, and it all fits inside, there won't be a problem with the zip-tie spending the rest of its life inside of that tube.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: