Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Soft brake pedal, then fine
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregburb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Soft brake pedal, then fine Reply with quote

Before parking my van in garage for the winter I had an issue with the brake pedal going almost to floor. My heart would skip a beat, and I would apply brakes again. On second attempt they feel normal again. I took van out for first time this spring yesterday and the same thing happened. The brake fluid seemed full at reservoir under dash, and no puddles under steering wheel or van.
Should I try to bleed some air out, or is the MC done for?
Thanks, Greg
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft brake pedal, then fine Reply with quote

gregburb wrote:
Should I try to bleed some air out,

Yes. That will either fix it or give you an idea if
gregburb wrote:
the MC done for

or something else is wrong. I think having rear brakes poorly adjusted can result in similar symptoms too.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft brake pedal, then fine Reply with quote

It's possible that poorly adjusted rears could cause this. Does the pedal feel a lot higher when the parking brake is applied? I would bleed the system and adjust the rear shoes to a slight drag before condeming the master.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft brake pedal, then fine Reply with quote

I think it should not appear all at once if it is the rear brakes, unless something else is wrong too. It would appear kind of gradually over a period of time afaik.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft brake pedal, then fine Reply with quote

If you have replaced the rear wheel cylinders, some do not have the spring which makes both pistons operate simultaneously - when you put your foot on the brake, one cylinder moves then you need to push again to get the other one to move and apply pressure to both.
gregburb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft brake pedal, then fine Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Can someone explain the parking brake up check? Is that with engine running etc...
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft brake pedal, then fine Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I think it should not appear all at once if it is the rear brakes, unless something else is wrong too. It would appear kind of gradually over a period of time afaik.

That's a good point, although the difference from one day to another will be so small you don't notice it. So you adapt a little bit, every day, without noticing. And then one day, you have to do a semi-emergency braking, which you don't do very often, and then the pedal hits the ground.

So what is mechanically gradual, appears to you as a instant change. Not saying that this is what is happening here, but watch out for perception.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft brake pedal, then fine Reply with quote

gregburb wrote:
Thanks for the info. Can someone explain the parking brake up check? Is that with engine running etc...

When the parking brake is off, and the shoes are out of adjustment too, the wheel cylinders have to push much further to get the shoes to the drums, and the pedal will feel low. When the parking brake is applied, (and holding) the rear shoes are firmly contacting the drums and it follows that the wheel cylinders have no where to push so the pedal feels higher.

If you have to pull way up on the parking brake lever to set the brake, then it's likely that the rear brakes need adjustment. You should only need 3-4 clicks on the lever to set the parking brake.

It's true that the brakes would always feel low if the rears need adjusting, but if it were me, I would adjust the rear brakes and flush/bleed the system to get to a good diagnostic starting point with regard to the master.
iceracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft brake pedal, then fine Reply with quote

I have the exact same issue. Last fall I adjusted the rears and the pedal came up higher and is firm however it still happens. I noticed it will only happen when the rpms are low such as when coasting to a stop instead of shifting down which makes me think it has to do with engine vacuum. There is a valve in the rear for the booster that can go bad however I have never run into a bad one on any van so far.
I believe my booster is fine because most of the time the brakes work properly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft brake pedal, then fine Reply with quote

This was how my MC showed signs of failure. I would consider replacing it. Sounds like a MC failing. But try bleeding and see if that works, but my money is on MC
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft brake pedal, then fine Reply with quote

The booster affects how hard it is to push the brake pedal. It provides assistance to make it easier. It does not affect the function of the master
cylinder or where in the stroke the braking occurs.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Soft brake pedal, then fine Reply with quote

Mellow Yellow 74 wrote:
If you have replaced the rear wheel cylinders, some do not have the spring which makes both pistons operate simultaneously - when you put your foot on the brake, one cylinder moves then you need to push again to get the other one to move and apply pressure to both.

Getting the slaves with the spring (as mentioned in the above quote) and adjusting the rears solved it for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: