Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 501, 502, 503 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Re-keyed the slider door lock, which was different to the other doors. Now I only have two keys - one for the ignition and then one for all the doors.

The ignition one seems to be a slightly different blank - I'm loath to re-key that one unless I can get my hands on another barrel.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Quote:
The ignition one seems to be a slightly different blank - I'm loath to re-key that one unless I can get my hands on another barrel.

I'm currently working on a similar issue: the tail of the ign lock mechanism that rotates the switch broke. Ordered a "quality replacement "lock assy.
Simple, right?
No.
That assy does not fit the factory column mount housing correctly, and does not actuate the steering column lock or the start switch.
Nor does it accept the factory "N" profile key- so re-coding the lock tumbler to match my key is not possible.
Swap the old lock cylinder you say?
Nope. Incompatible, totally different designs.
So I ordered a Hella assy. Not an N-profile cylinder but I may be able to swap it for the old one.
And it just might work better with the column bracket...

We shall see.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Aftermarket versus factory lock cylinders. I made all my locks match last fall. It was a pain mix and matching aftermarket door handles and factory lock cylinders. John
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally broke down and applied 3M Glass Urethane Sealant to my Front Windshield Seal. I had been hoping to hold off and just replace the glass and seal, while performing any needed metal work hiding under the seal.
BUT, my Vanagon had other ideas and wouldn't stop dripping water into the interior with all this Rain we've been having.

So far, no water seen puddling on my black rubber floor mats anymore.... Progress... Rolling Eyes
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

So far this spring, these are the "things," I've done to my 87 which got pulled out of a garage after sitting for 15+ years.

Dropped Fuel Tank and re-resealed
Discover hard lines from fuel pump to engine compartment (through firewall gromet)
New Marco injectors installed
New Bosch Cap and Rotor. Older style cap for wire compatibility.
New plug wires
New plugs
All new fuel lines
Added sheathing over fuel line.
Removed ISM.
Propane tank rust removal, prime and paint. New fill and 80% valve, reused shut off and regulator.
Added computer fan to rear blades and cooling sink on fridge, cleaned propane burn chamber. Switch for internal fan.
Confirm 12v, 120v and Propane work on fridge.
New front rotors and pads Zimmerman & Mintex reds
New wheel bearings
New Koni front shocks
New Gabriel HiJackers wtih indivdual air hoses.
New Gauge cluster kit
New heater control decal
Used Stereo install
New internal antenna
Cleaned all grounds in engine compartment

Still a bunch of fun things to come.

One thing I've come to enjoy is that may of the upkeep / upgrade / maintenance jobs are sub $250 for parts and easy day or weekend jobs. So it makes it easy to buy and work incrementally without needing to break the bank all at one time. (Although, I admittedly have close to a grand into stuff since I bought the van last Oct....lol.)

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
leecat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Worked on scrubbing up and salvaging a new pop-top for our Westy; it sat on a wrecked van in coastal B.C. for 20 years and looked like Treebeard's toilet seat - cleaned up amazingly well though with a ton of elbow grease, these are some tough tops.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

leecat wrote:
looked like Treebeard's toilet seat

That is an awesome image :p
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Installed my rebuilt Air Flow Meter from Fuel Injection Corp.
Changed my Walker O2 sensor to a new NGK version.
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Started resealing my transmission the other day...figure better to do it while I have the trans out!

Also installed my VL center console, with added battery kill switch. Had to drill two 1" holes in the right seat pedestal leading into the battery compartment for the ground cable leads. Also had to remove the weird false wall in the battery compartment, by drilling out the 5 or so rivets. Ran a new starter cable, and replaced the wiring at the positive terminal for the front fuse box lead, as well as added a new heavy gauge wire to power my newly added radiator fan (previously air cooled).

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

^^^D@mn nice...VERY clean install. Love it! Cool

Are you available for contract work...???

Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
revolution337
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
^^^D@mn nice...VERY clean install. Love it! Cool

Are you available for contract work...???

Wink

- Dave

Thank you! I’ve always found a great amount of joy in automotive wiring/rewiring. I know how weird that may sound, but it’s almost zen like to me. I could spend hours out in my garage building harnesses, fixing old wiring, installing terminals, etc. With the proper tools and supplies at hand, there’s no reason one can’t make a harness just as good, if not better than factory.

But maybe I’m just crazy? haha
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Cut out the Dry rotted Seam Sealer in the Nose Seams with my Pneumatic Harbor Freight Oscillating Tool[ it's smaller than either one of my Fein Corded MMs] , added Rust Converter and pushed it gently in with very low air pressure after brushing the Converter in to the Seams.
Once that dried, I added 3M Urethane Seam Sealer, Black, to the seams.
Smoothed it out, cleaned up the mess. Now I need to prime and Paint the Seams to blend them in.
I had already worked on the Windshield seal for slow leaks, but still had open gaps in the seams that were letting water into the interior. Once I added Blue Painters Tape over the Seams as a test, I stopped getting water into the dash area. So it was time to attack those Seams... Rolling Eyes

I also had the Classic o2 sensor shield wire into the Signal Wire, inside the black boot covering the connector. The green insulation had cracked and opened up about a 1/16" gap of bare wire, and the shield strands were neatly adhered to the signal wire.... Embarassed
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Removed the exterior mirrors; sanded them, cleaned and primed them. Painted them Satin Black after that.
Glass Beaded the headlight buckets and the wiper arms to remove rust and corrosion.
Primed all parts, top coat is tomorrow.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

After a number of weeks with the dash out of my 89 tin-top to repair the heater blower, I reinstalled it. But, while I had it out, I modified the housing to re-route the fresh air venting to by-pass the heater core to the vents on the dash. This was the original set-up on the early Vanagons. I liked it much better. Ironically, as those of you who've been there and seen, VW left the original vent fittings on the housing, however it was plugged.

I also eliminate the Buzzing & Flashing Oil Pressure Light by disabling the circuit on the back of the Cluster. I'd previously determined that the oil pressure is fine throughout the range, cold and hot engine, using a mechanical gauge, as well as changing the pressure switches...!

Oh, and pressure washed the engine....
torbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

I modded my rear my rear closet with siding doors, based off of campism and frank condelli's excellent work:

Campism:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4627653#4627653

Frank Condelli
http://www.frankcondelli.com/closet.htm

Also mounted my Estwing hatchet and trench shovel to the back using QwikFists and some leftover rubber moulding from the rear closet door (to keep things from rattling).

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Looks good with the contrasting doors!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

torbot wrote:

Ahhhh...sweet, sweet, sweet, and...SWEET!

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
torbot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Looks good with the contrasting doors!

Thanks man, my wife talked me into leaving them bare wood and I'm really glad we did (she handles interior decisions). Big thanks to you too! can't tell you how many times I looked at your photos to figure things out. Laughing

dhaavers wrote:

Ahhhh...sweet, sweet, sweet, and...SWEET!

Cool

- Dave

Very Happy
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Swapped out the Snow Tires for the All Season Tires. Ordered the Ford Heater Valve from my local NAPA store since mine has decided to leak at the shaft now that it’s warm outside... Rolling Eyes

Reinstalled my now glass beaded and painted Head Light buckets
Lubed the Steering Rack finally ( Manual Rack)
Bought a $10 Drink Caddy from Napa for the floor, the cup holders adjust for different sizes
Tested the Fan Switch wiring for both speeds, and finally drove my Van home from work after buying it last Fall......
More work to do, but it wasn’t too bad in heavy traffic coming home.
Nimble, quiet, and enough power to keep up with everyone else decently.
Fast Highway Traffic will be another story...... Embarassed
VWeGoBeachNow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Replaced oem Bosch ignition coil that's been leaking with Bosch Brazil green label - I had a bad habit of warming up and idling for too long which caused it to overheat and melt Embarassed

Replaced oem Bosch WR7CC spark plugs with NGK (1263) BP6ET - Going to try them out for 15k miles. Had 1 foul plug

Replaced corroded oem Bosch ignition wires with STI/Karlyn Bremi - I like the quality of these wires

Didn't take long to install them and I'm glad I finally did because the car starts right up, idles and runs much better. Not sure how old or how many miles were on everything I replaced because they were already on the car 9 years ago

Next is my distributor and o2 sensor
4spd
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 501, 502, 503 ... 627, 628, 629  Next
Jump to:
Page 502 of 629

Jump to: