Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW board cutout for storing engine parts during disassembly?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hanksjim1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: VW board cutout for storing engine parts during disassembly? Reply with quote

I tried multiple searches...I know it is here on the forum somewhere:

There was a wooden board that had cutouts for the various parts that were removed from an aircooled engine during disassembly; heads, jugs, pushrods, etc. to keep them sorted for proper reassembly. Fits great on top of a rolling cart.

Can someone point me to a thread that shows this (better yet, I think I saw a diagram showing the dimensions of the board and the cutouts) VW tool/part?

Thanks in advance.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: VW board cutout for storing engine parts during disassembly? Reply with quote

hanksjim1 wrote:
I tried multiple searches...I know it is here on the forum somewhere:

There was a wooden board that had cutouts for the various parts that were removed from an aircooled engine during disassembly; heads, jugs, pushrods, etc. to keep them sorted for proper reassembly. Fits great on top of a rolling cart.

Can someone point me to a thread that shows this (better yet, I think I saw a diagram showing the dimensions of the board and the cutouts) VW tool/part?

Thanks in advance.

Darn you're right. I know this thing exists, but no sign of it anywhere on the web so far. Spooky.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: VW board cutout for storing engine parts during disassembly? Reply with quote

I've seen one for the auto trans. Also homemade ones to keep pushrods so they go back in their original positions. But I've never seen one for the engine... it would be huge! I use the Muir "labeled baggie" method.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: VW board cutout for storing engine parts during disassembly? Reply with quote

they make generic "organizers" - I used a V8 taredown organizer and I agree, super convenient. It went on the back side of the stand
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: VW board cutout for storing engine parts during disassembly? Reply with quote

found this in the tools section. this what you were looking for? seems awesome!

look for #652 here, there are a couple: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/tools7.php

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: VW board cutout for storing engine parts during disassembly? Reply with quote

The dealerships used the trolly carts, but not the "organizer" Typically, all the components were number stamped or otherwise marked as they came off. It would be simple enough to make a block to hold valve train components in order.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!

Last edited by rugblaster on Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
hanksjim1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: VW board cutout for storing engine parts during disassembly? Reply with quote

Yes...that's it!! Thanks so much. I believe there was also a wooden version.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: VW board cutout for storing engine parts during disassembly? Reply with quote

here is one from the classifieds (sold)

FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: VW board cutout for storing engine parts during disassembly? Reply with quote

Wows, excellent! Some of those dimensions will have to be changed for modded engines... Laughing
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: VW board cutout for storing engine parts during disassembly? Reply with quote

in the gallery:

Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: VW board cutout for storing engine parts during disassembly? Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
Wows, excellent! Some of those dimensions will have to be changed for modded engines... Laughing

yeah, I see a few, they all start with the 652 n umber but there is a 652/2, 652/3, 4 - 5 etc. I'm assuming yes, 36hp, 40hp, 1600 etc
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: VW board cutout for storing engine parts during disassembly? Reply with quote

found the old thread, I guess hot VW's had this article back in the day

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=365527&highlight=652
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: VW board cutout for storing engine parts during disassembly? Reply with quote

On the 2 boards I made about 20 years ago based on the HVWs drawing, I added another piece of wood near the top of the crankshaft pedestals, then glued in 4 wooden dowels which are about 1.5" long. Conrods removed from the crank hang off the dowels.

In this photo the glossy finish is not just for looks- it allows oil drops to be wiped off easily, not being absorbed into unfinished porous wood.
hanksjim1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: VW board cutout for storing engine parts during disassembly? Reply with quote

Great idea Rome!

Thanks to all for the assist.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: VW board cutout for storing engine parts during disassembly? Reply with quote

Beautiful! For a Type 3, there would be a lot of added crap, but for a basic long block breakdown of any type, this should help keep things neat. I'd add heavy duty handles at each end so it can be moved.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: VW board cutout for storing engine parts during disassembly? Reply with quote

That’s amazing!
I kinda wanna build one just as a coffee table piece in the man cave.

I’m planning a crankshaft lamp that you spin a rod to turn on and off.
I’ve got an old German crank already, (40 over and needy so I don’t feel bad about the sacrifice) Just need to find some old used rods and flywheel.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: VW board cutout for storing engine parts during disassembly? Reply with quote

You people have too much time on your hands. Laughing

My crankshaft is not out long enough to be require its own rack or the heads or cylinders/pistons for that matter. I check the ring gaps and then pre-assemble t he cylinders/pistons ready for installation and stay in the box until ready to be glued to the case. The rods are not out that long either. After the balancing and washing/drying they go on the crank and then the whole lower is dropped into t he case.

The longer the parts stay out, the more shit will get into them. And -recleaning them is so much wasted time and work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: VW board cutout for storing engine parts during disassembly? Reply with quote

I agree with NSRacing BUT I also like to be very organized when building an engine. There's nothing wrong with pre-loading pistons into cylinders and hanging rods on the crank AND using this tray to organize for re-assembly.

I've thought about drawing one up in AutoCAD and cut it out on my plasma table. I envisioned stainless steel with some square stainless tubing underneath for strength. But I must admit I really like the classic look of the clear coated plywood. Ironically the stainless would be easier to make for me.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: VW board cutout for storing engine parts during disassembly? Reply with quote

engine entomology?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: