Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poorjimmy5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

Poorjimmy5 wrote:
Al Capulco wrote:
Yes, the gap is too large, that copper strip must make contact with the bottom of the steering wheel. Just loosen the 2 bolts that hold the steering column to the bottom of the dash, and pull up toward the wheel. You are just looking to get the copper strip to touch the bottom of the steering wheel. You may want to get yourself a parts book and an orange Bentley service manual, they can be very helpful.

Ok, I loosed the 2 bolts that hold the steering column to the bottom of the dash but couldn't get it to move UNTIL I also loosed the hex bolt under the steering column (in the cluster that is attached to the steering column and houses the directional and wiper arms). Closed the gap and tightened everything up. Still no horn. Argh! What now?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Should I not have loosened the hex bolt and just kept yanking on the steering column until the gap closed? I will double check this when the weather gets better. In the meantime, I will consider the book purchases, but will the help answer specific queries like I have or will it just give me general knowledge that MAYBE if can figure out an answer from?

Oh, one other thing. After I did this I swear that the Speedometer illumination lights came on and the high beam indicator lit up. But then they turned off again and I am not sure what, if anything, I did to make this happen. A brief moment of joy, followed by rage inducing frustration.
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

Are the connectors under the column plugged in tight?
You mentioned the bright indicator came on for a brief moment. Leads me to believe the connections to the turn signals and wipers under the column are loose, corroded or broken.
Poorjimmy5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

I will check...
Poorjimmy5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

...OK. Didn't check the steering column wiring situation while I had the car out of the garage to check the broken shock, but did notice THE LIGHTS IN THE SPEEDOMETER STARTED WORKING!!!!! What the hell? Is this car possessed? Should I call it Christine? It's fixing itself!

Seriously I did nothing but back it out of the garage and look at all four shocks, then drove it back into the garage with the headlights on and boom, I notice the speedo was illuminated AND the (I assume) the blue high beam light was illuminated. Still no directional indicator when I signal, but the same light does flash once or twice when I pull the hazard switch. The hazard switch does flash continuously after pulling it.

Also, thought I didn't notice it this time, previously the generator and oil light came on shortly when I first start the Thing, which I assume is normal.

Though I could kick myself for the fact that I didn't check the horn! I was so gobsmacked and pressed for time that i didn't think to!

Stay tuned for more tails of Jim's haunted Thing! Bo-Hahaha!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

You probably just have a loose connection or two on the back of the speedometer housing.
Poorjimmy5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

Will have to double check when I reinstall the speedometer for the 2nd time!
Poorjimmy5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

Just as an aside, when I was working on the new battery cable to starter I found a wire that looked as if it had corroded off its connector. (See two arrows in above picture)

So anyway I attached a new connector and reattached it to the starter in the hope that it would somehow fix some of the other issues I am experiencing...like maybe the horn? No joy...bummer.
Poorjimmy5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

Hope everyone is safe.

OK, worked up the courage to re-address the "horn not working" issue. Is there in fact a ground wire from the steering box to the front axle? If so can anyone tell me were it is and how to access it? Pictures would be great.

Thanks in advance guys
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

No ground wire from steering box to the beam, only the jumper wire over the steering couple.

Poorjimmy5 wrote:
Hope everyone is safe.

OK, worked up the courage to re-address the "horn not working" issue. Is there in fact a ground wire from the steering box to the front axle? If so can anyone tell me were it is and how to access it? Pictures would be great.

Thanks in advance guys
Poorjimmy5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

BJT wrote:
No ground wire from steering box to the beam, only the jumper wire over the steering couple.

Poorjimmy5 wrote:
Hope everyone is safe.

Thanks in advance guys

Ah! Thank you. So it's most probably in the steering column... Great... Rolling Eyes
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Horn stopped working after steering box & front axle beam were r Reply with quote

If you take off the steering wheel, Can you set the horn off by taking some wire and grounding the contact ring to the steering column?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: