Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

turn signal retrack
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: turn signal retrack Reply with quote

The turn signals on my 71 411 won't retrack, and have to be turned off by hand. Can that be fixed? I've been told that parts are not available for the 71, but for all other type 4's.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: turn signal retrack Reply with quote

I am not familiar with the Type 4 column and canceling mechanism, but if it's like the other Types, there are probably spring loaded plastic catches in the turn signal switch that have broken off. There is a guy 3D printing replacements, or you can harvest them from another turn signal switch, maybe from other Types.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/6RM4Z7S8M/vw-turn-signal-auto-return-spring-retainer

Does your switch look like this?:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: turn signal retrack Reply with quote

The later 411 and 412...72 and on....are identical to the type 3 and some super beetle.

I "think" the 1971....which has the wiper controls on the dash?...right?...basically still uses the same blinker arm unit.

There is a "fin" on the steering wheel hub that pushes on that plastic 'cam" that KTphil showed....as it goes around....releasing the lever.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal retrack Reply with quote

No the wiper controls are on the dash. If a 71 doner part can't fix it, I'm wondering if it could be modified.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal retrack Reply with quote

I haven't taken it apart yet to see if it's like your picture. That looks simple enough to fix if it is.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal retrack Reply with quote

OK--- I finally got around to looking in the manual. On page 158 you can see a breakdown of both types. On page 182 there is a better diagram of the 71 model. So it looks like item number 15 on page 182 could be where the problem is. This is in the Hynes manual.
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal retrack Reply with quote

Now I'm thinking it's possible the small screw item 13 that attaches the cancelling ring to the bottom of the steering wheel could have come loose and the cancelling ring is floating. We shall see. Bob
titan3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal retrack Reply with quote

Well I think I finally got all my brain cells organized. I haven't pulled the steering wheel yet. Wondering if the entire turn signal switch has to be replaced, which gets costly. Ktphil posted a good picture of what I think is the problem, and if it is then only the plastic parts need replacing. Also according to Ray's post my switch is the same as late 71's and on. I checked chassis numbers and mine checked out to be a late 71 model.

I'll be checking out the 3D part source to see the availability and cost. Bob
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal retrack Reply with quote

Ray -- You mentioned earlier in this thread that the turn signal / wiper stalk was the same as 'some' Super Beetles.

Any ideas which ones specifically? I could use a new one and I know that the SB stalks are fairly easy to get.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: turn signal retrack Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
Ray -- You mentioned earlier in this thread that the turn signal / wiper stalk was the same as 'some' Super Beetles.

Any ideas which ones specifically? I could use a new one and I know that the SB stalks are fairly easy to get.

I will see what I can find. For years I harvested units specifically from late Super beetles with the modern padded dash and 1972 type 3's....because they could be used with no tweaks in 411 and 412. I found this out by taking a broken part with me and going through junked cars.

Does this mean they are "100%" identical? no. Just that the external levers were 100% identical in shape, size, color, position....and all of the functions worked properly and all of the plugs plugged in.

I will see if I have any part numbers in my log book. But....I know the one that is in my car now is not from a 411/412. I will see if I can get the part # from it.
Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: