Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoring Original Door Panels, A How-To
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Restoring Original Door Panels, A How-To Reply with quote

Alright guys, as the body work on my car is on hold for a minute, I've decided to tackle some interior stuff. The door panels on my car were a bit worse for wear. You can see, that they've got some marks on them, some tape/glue residue on the edges, and overall just look a bit bad.
I decided that I was going to clean them up and not buy repros.
Here's what you'll need-
    Magic erasers
    Simple Green
    Purple Power (optional)
    Water
    Paper towels
    Contact Cement
    Microfiber cloth
    Spray Glue
    Cheap paint brush
After you've got that stuff, or what you need from it, it's time to work. First, what you want to do is just wipe the panel down with a damp paper towel or microfiber cloth, that'll get rid of any dust so you can get a feel for how bad the panel is. On my panel, it just cleaned up the armrest really, nothing else really showed up. Any scuffs or black marks come up pretty easily with a magic eraser, a little simple green on a paper towel works too. On the edge of my panels there was some residue from tape or something, anyway, the magic eraser didn't do much, but the simple green took it off pretty easily. That was all I had to do to the drivers front panel, the passenger rear panel was different.

The rear passenger panel's glue had practically disappeared. The only thing holding the vinyl to the masonite was the ash tray. First thing is to do a light cleaning just like on the front panel. After that you’re gonna flip the panel over and spray the spray glue on the backside of the vinyl and on the masonite, then just press it down. You’ll have a bit of time to move it around to get it right. The spray glue will hold pretty well, but now you have to glue the edges with contact cement. Get yourself a chip brush or cheap paint brush and the can of contact cement. Apply to the edge of the vinyl and the masonite where the vinyl will touch. I did mine in two sections so I didn’t have to rush. Once you apply the glue, wait for however long the can says and come back and press the pieces together, it should stick instantly. You’ll know the glue is ready when you can touch it and it doesn’t really stick to you. Once you do that the panel can get a final cleaning if you want. I used an old toothbrush to get in the heat seams and did another pass with a wet towel. I was suggested to use an old shirt to stuff the pocket and clean where it wrinkles. I didn’t try it but it doesn’t sound like a bad idea. Here are some before and after pics, let the know what you think and if you try this for yourself. All of this should be universal for vinyl door cards. Oh and I made a video too if you want to watch that.
Front Before
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Front After
Rear Before
Rear After

Link

'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
9pin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Original Door Panels, A How-To Reply with quote

Does Magic Eraser affect the shine of the panel at all?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring Original Door Panels, A How-To Reply with quote

409 and a soft scrub brush can do a good job at cleaning. note the vinyl can shrink and sometimes not fit well over the backer board, the board may need a trim to better fit a shrunk vinyl.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring Original Door Panels, A How-To Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
409 and a soft scrub brush can do a good job at cleaning. note the vinyl can shrink and sometimes not fit well over the backer board, the board may need a trim to better fit a shrunk vinyl.

Bug On!

Just a recommendation, but instead of trimming the board, I would heat up the vinyl using good ol' mothers natures vitamin D, or a heat gun. I redid the panels in my 58 while out in the sun, and it worked perfect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Original Door Panels, A How-To Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

Bug On!

Just a recommendation, but instead of trimming the board, I would heat up the vinyl using good ol' mothers natures vitamin D, or a heat gun. I redid the panels in my 58 while out in the sun, and it worked perfect.
Yeah, I wouldn't trim the board, just stretch the vinyl with heat. 9pin, I don't notice any difference in the shine, but under close examination it might be a bit duller in those spots. I bet going over the panel with an armor all wipe would fix it.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Original Door Panels, A How-To Reply with quote

I have restreched panels also, check the adhesive your using before you put it all over the vinyl, I have had it badly distort the vinyl and wrinkle it. One set I restreched is the blue in the lower picture.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Original Door Panels, A How-To Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
I bet going over the panel with an armor all wipe would fix it.

I'd recommend Aerospace 303 over Armor All.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: