Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Slimvest wrote:
Thanks, Pdxleaf. I know the WRG3 XL is on the way out, but hadn't heard the WRC3 in that size. Talked to a dealer last week and was told they would have them same day if I called in the AM. Either way, good feedback. I'll probably go for it.

Bit the bullet and got a set of four WRC3 205/70R15 mounted today. $$$$$$. FTW.

Anybody want a set of General Grabber AT2 tires? 10k miles on them. Pick up in Portland, OR. 205/75R15. (Edit: SOLD)
SurfaceRust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I ended up going with the Kuhmo Crugen HT51 (215/65R16 102T XL ply) for my GoWesty 16"s
Amazon has them for a pretty good deal
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074XTRX81/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
HOPS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Will these tires fit on a stock 2wd with the stock 14" steel rims?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...;tab=Sizes
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

HOPS wrote:

Yes, but with a 5-6% reduction in power due to increased diameter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kitesurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

SurfaceRust wrote:
I ended up going with the Kuhmo Crugen HT51 (215/65R16 102T XL ply) for my GoWesty 16"s
Amazon has them for a pretty good deal
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074XTRX81/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I just bought the same wheels, I was looking only at 215/60R16, 215/65R16 also fit without rubbing ?
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I can't reply to the Yahoo Syncro Group, so I'll just put it here.
I've been doing very well with my 215/70R15 tires.
They are mounted on 15x6 rims with ET35.
I'm pretty sure they are within 10% of Original Circumference, only now I can fit the GW BBK under them.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
HOPS wrote:

Yes, but with a 5-6% reduction in power due to increased diameter.

FWIW: After one season on my Grabbers I just found that my fronts were rubbing <ever so slightly>, just
enough to leave a clean line from <barely> touching the UCA, but not enough to lose any rubber...YMMV.

I'd definitely grind a little off the lip of the UCA before you put the Grabbers on...(I know I will)... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Bib is offering the Agilis CrossClimate with a 205/65/15 fit and a C rating. The tread appears suitable for loose traction. Looks like a good fit for 15” Vanagon wheels

https://www.michelinman.com/tire/michelin/agilis-crossclimate-c-metric
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

mellowslow wrote:
Bib is offering the Agilis CrossClimate with a 205/65/15 fit and a C rating. The tread appears suitable for loose traction. Looks like a good fit for 15” Vanagon wheels

https://www.michelinman.com/tire/michelin/agilis-crossclimate-c-metric
. Not a lot of siping on that tread pattern. Looks like a highway tread to me with rain /water channeling. What does the Tire Manufacturer state about it?
Well, here is that info... Nice to have one more choice even if it means 15” rims....( although I DO have them)... Cool

https://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/733422/no-jo...on-april-1
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
The Big Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I purchased Mefro 16 wheels https://www.vancafe.com/Vanagon-Wheels-Tires-16STEEL-p/16steel.htm) and Schwenk springs from Van Cafe (https://www.vancafe.com/2WDSprings-p/2wdsp.htm). I plan on putting on 215/65/16 tires. Will this combination fit without rubbing on my 85 Vanagon?
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

The Big Cheese wrote:
I purchased Mefro 16 wheels https://www.vancafe.com/Vanagon-Wheels-Tires-16STEEL-p/16steel.htm) and Schwenk springs from Van Cafe (https://www.vancafe.com/2WDSprings-p/2wdsp.htm). I plan on putting on 215/65/16 tires. Will this combination fit without rubbing on my 85 Vanagon?

I've run that size on Mercedes CLK wheels with no rubbing on my '84 Westy.

And then I remember that I also converted to late-style uprights and brakes.

Last edited by MrPolak on Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Well, these seem to fit the general parameters.. 215/60/16 99V coming in at 26.1". 6 for $335.10 delivered. Will get back here when they are mounted and driven a bit. Got 6, as they are directional. I don't want to mention the brand just yet, as I have nothing to base any +/- on until they are run in a bit. I still have to pick up a 2nd spare rim, and hope to get a rear carrier soon too, but that is $'s I don't have just now.

-bobby

crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Maybe model SP-9 ?? Please let us know how they work out, especially in rain. I see decent reviews for them out there. What is the max pressure marked on the tires?

Mark

bobbyblack wrote:
Well, these seem to fit the general parameters.. 215/60/16 99V coming in at 26.1". 6 for $335.10 delivered. Will get back here when they are mounted and driven a bit. Got 6, as they are directional.....
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Yes indeed, SP-9.. Will take a few days to get them mounted, and get ChrisToph3r's studs into the hubs.. Still a work in progress.
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I have not seen these Radar RLT 71 referenced yet. Looks like an alternative to Hankook RA08, but with an even higher load rating in 195r15 size and a few other sizes to choose from.

https://www.performanceplustire.com/tires-for-sale/radar-tires/rlt-71-2/

Vunderbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I've been running Nokian Van tires for almost ten years. I recently replaced my Hakka C Van tires with the Nokian Entyre 2.0 (205/65R15). Having run a Nokian Van tire with 6 plys, I was a bit concerned switching over to an XL rated tire. The Entyre 2.0 has a load rating of 1,709 lbs.

I've now had the Entyre 2.0's on for 500 miles and I've been really impressed. Much quieter than the Nokian Van tire and excellent in the rain. The sidewall isn't quite as stiff as the Nokian Van but the Entyre 2.0 handles excellent and the ride is fantastic. Very impressed with the tires and the price was excellent (about $80 each through simple tire.com).
1980 Westfalia
1973 Baywindow
1970 Baywindow Riviera Camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

wal mart has the 205/70/15 Nokian Entyres for $50 pick up in store

your location price may vary but worth a check..

we've used these tires for a few years including the snow in Yellowstone..
while not a snow tire, they did well in 'all seasons'

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nokian-entyre-P205-70R15-100T-tl-all-season-tire/50295864
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered some to replace the aged ones on my tintop Syncro. Time flies, been on there 7+ years. Time for new ones though the tread isn't worn out. Only $50 each, I paid double that when I bought the original set.

Mark

danfromsyr wrote:
wal mart has the 205/70/15 Nokian Entyres for $50 pick up in store

your location price may vary but worth a check..

we've used these tires for a few years including the snow in Yellowstone..
while not a snow tire, they did well in 'all seasons'

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nokian-entyre-P205-70R15-100T-tl-all-season-tire/50295864
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

for $50~65ea shipped.. I like to run on the top 50% of the tread
then I either delegate the old ones to a roller/project or a friend in need or CL for $25ea as used %50 tires..

I like new rubbers on my wheels.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

For me shipping was included at $50. It's Cali here so sales tax and tire disposal fee on top. I will take loose wheels in to let Wmart mount/balance as they give a discount for tires purchased through them. I'd never let them actually touch my vans though.

EDIT: I should add that these are the version 1.0 tread style and the Entyre 2.0 tread seems better. The early tread style readily picks up small pebbles on dirt roads while the 2.0 doesn't seem to. I have the more expensive Entyre 2.0 in a 16" XL size on another van but the 205/70R15 XL come in tread style 1.0 only so far. I have been very satisfied with the 1.0 other than the small pebble thing.

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 39 of 57

Jump to: