Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seamus-77 westy resto
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
You guys have probably noticed Im wicked good at takin shit apart.

You gona fit in real nice then. Wink

Jetfxr69 wrote:
notchboy wrote:
No, looks good. You are repeating exactly what several others have done in several other threads before you - me included. Laughing

Best match to what you are happy with. It wasn't till 4 maybe 5 years back that vendors came out with replacement panels in a correct Westfalia hue. They are the only ones to have it so I bet its made just for them. Because my cabinets were sweet in my 74 - I bought them and is a good to perfect match. You do know you can get these same Westfalia panels and even repair pieces of laminate. right?

When you remove the original laminate - take care in doing so. You can sell it. Especially the large panels for others to fix doors and drawers for sure. I used mine out of the 77 to repair a large table and two doors for my friends 78.

Looks good. Cant wait to see the progress.

Saw those panels on BD and they would make perfect repair panels, but at that cost for a 2’x4’ piece, makes them cost prohibitive for a complete face set. The stuff I posted would be used on my duplicate set im building. About $120 for a 5’x12’ sheet.

I never said they were cheap. Laughing Just that they were there. Also, theres a reason most go to "other" as it is way cheaper. Im sure the correct looking stuff is more expensive due to its custom batch making and lack of any other good mainstream match. I used it in my 74 Resto going on because the interior was in such amazing shape otherwise.

So where is this place you speak of that cans up the OG paint?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Paintscratch.com

PaintScratch (Division of Bio Pac, Inc.)
770 Mays Blvd STE 1 #5288
Incline Village, NV 89450

Turns out they are a couple blocks down the road from where my kid goes to school. They dont guarantee a match unless you send them a sample piece, but it was hard to find anybody that would even recognize the color. The places in UK did no problem, but they wont ship aerosol to US.

Edit: i didnt send a sample. This can will be used to spray interior panels under carpet and/or behind cabinetry. Thought it would be a good chance to see how it matches. Its single stage, so will overspray some canned clearcoat for duribility.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Checking in on you. Buddy in Lancaster posted to FB drone pics of Rt2 and the Conn river. Looks like the rain and rapid melt is flooding pretty bad. He’s just on the NH side of the bridge over to Gilman/Lunenburg. You doing ok?
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Doin great! You all cant imagine the fun im having down here in georgia with an old friend at his farm. Airplanes, and vw’s, and stories. Sunburnt to a crisp in a few days and no reason to come back north, except for wife, kids, job, that stuff i guess. Lots of pics and stories to share. Coming soon.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Aw shit, that’s right! You are down south playing with your old ones! Enjoy it! You definitely are better off there than here. Flooding all over the north country. Glad you are having fun, look forward to stores, pics, and list of stuff you snagged! I’m tentatively planning on pulling mine out of the mud and start working on it this weekend.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Last chance for parts request. Hes got about a dozen 71-72’s out here. We are loading up some stuff this afternoon and heading out. Theres about 10 splits, a few squarebacks, notchbacks, and a fastback. Theres a weird fastback here with 4 headlights. A 912, 944, an a couple oval window beetles among the twenty or so. The only thing thats missing is a barndoor and a thing. What a time rummaging.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We got the white camper running after sitting for a bunch of years. Nice to hear it run. A treetook out my yellow squareback, but thats ok, ive got enough on my plate for now.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Safe travels!! If can have any camper seat hinges and it's not too much before you bail, I'd be interested in a set. You're coming back just in time for the weather to improve.

That weird fastback I bet is a 411\412. Don't let that one get crushed until stripped for parts!

That early bay westy don't look too bad by NH\ME standards...
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Wow! That looks like fun!

Keep an eye out for a good egr valve for a 77:p
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Sorry, no egr valves. All the engines on all buses had been pulled previously for whatever reason. They are scattered all over the place. I did find 2 GD short blocks that I will bring home and use to start a rebuild 2L. Was able to locate a complete f.i. harness that looks to be in good condition, a thermostat that looks ok, a. complete set of tins, and a set of old injectors. A couple 6 rib trannys were under cover too.

Came across an EB and CB block and they apear to be 1700’s for the older buses.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Just got home from adventure down south and had a couple presents that arrived while i was gone. Got these nice fuel rails from Ken at Busco.

I know ive read that like mine, their was never any steel connecting the two injector rails to csv. PO had just run fuel hose from both sides of csv. Im perfectly fine with that, but Ken sent me (1) long steel rail along with the two injector rails. I layed it across engine and it looks to want to line up with injectors for 1 & 2 to csv. Question for you all is, was there steel lines on both sides of csv?

Also got my rattle can of L21H marinogelb 77. Will have to wait for a little warmth and drier days here, but hope to prep, and shoot the interior floor with this soon.

Truck load of goodies from the farm to include a compressor that I left behind back in the 90’s. Mine just blew a hole in the bottom, so good timing. A donor sink/stove cabinet that I can take the top off. An extra jalouise window for internal parts, two GD blocks, full set of tins, and back seat is full of misc bits and pieces.

A real Sanford and Son look goin through Cross Bronx Expressway last night.

That was the easy part. Now I gotta actually make some progress.

And for addicted, yes, that is NOT snow over there. The last of the piles have gone away. Better hurry! It will be back soon enough.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Glad you made it back safe and had a productive trip!

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Just got home from adventure down south and had a couple presents that arrived while i was gone. Got these nice fuel rails from Ken at Busco.

I know ive read that like mine, their was never any steel connecting the two injector rails to csv. PO had just run fuel hose from both sides of csv. Im perfectly fine with that, but Ken sent me (1) long steel rail along with the two injector rails. I layed it across engine and it looks to want to line up with injectors for 1 & 2 to csv. Question for you all is, was there steel lines on both sides of csv?

Yup, metal lines on both sides of the CSV. I just popped out and checked. Yes, I need to do some cleaning, replace lines, clamps, hoses, etc. My engine only has 58k on it and is - AFAIK - configured as originally delivered so let me know if need any other pics or if can help in any way.

I still have one pile of snow left in the yard but was able to move my bus over to the driveway so I can get started on it again. Got another shipment of stuff this week, now just need it to warm up a little.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Copy, thanks for the pic. Will get by with a hose for now, but will keep looking for other connector rail. Good to hear youve got yours moved over. It will certainely be motivation to get some work done now.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Copy, thanks for the pic. Will get by with a hose for now, but will keep looking for other connector rail. Good to hear youve got yours moved over. It will certainely be motivation to get some work done now.

The 2-4 is a mirror image of the 1-3 piece. I don't see why can't grab some steel line at Kelley's NAPA and whip up the other side, use the one you have a template. I'll try to get a top-down pic for you if you want.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Here's a better view from Robbie's FI thread here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670338

SamboSamba22 wrote:
<snip>

Here are the items removed from the engine case, a light degrease, and laid out as they function on the engine:

<snip>

Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Kelleys NAPA, yes indeed, a great local shop. Have never been a fan of NAPA, until i experienced it here in the north country. Great people, and thanks to the logging industry around here, knowledgeable about getting you a 77 vw fuel pump, or a boom cylinder seal for a Case580se. Having an account with them becomes dangerous too $$$.

Just began unboxing some of my old boxes of stuff from years ago, and found things I didnt even know I had. Not sure why I would have them, but just found some single port heads and pipes and a few carbs. i dont ever remember running such, but ive got em.

Got my motor up on the stand and gonna strip it down to the heads tomorrow. Plugs wont come out, so expect to find some serious junk in cyl’s. Read from older threads that best bet is to send my injectors to cruizinperformance in cali. Will be sending my 4 plus csv and a couple spares i found in case a replacement is needed.

Schedule to get on the road just got pushed up as a Govt’ Mule show just got announced for Jay Peak VT in mid July. This only matters if your a blues fan like me.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Looking for feedback on best “temp” way to deal with this. These are top rear corners and the worst areas are where the poptop rubber sits. The actual gutters and spot welds are in great shape.

I am changing top and want to curb the growth of this cancer. I am not in a position to cut it out and weld in new steel right now, but that day will come. For now id like to treat best as possible to prevent further escalation. There are a couple small holes that have begun, so im assuming they should be filled first.

Por15 will work, but prob should fill holes with something first? When done with prep and primer, its just gonna get a rattle can overcoat for this season. When other bodywork is dealt with, the top will come back off and these corners will be dealt with accordingly.

What you all think?

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Let it flash rust, hit with osphos or similar rust converter (phosphoric acid), then seal it up with some rattle can. If it doesn’t rust overnight, mist it with water so it does. Seriously. The acid turns the iron oxide into iron phosphate, a hard blackish coating which happens to make a nice primer as well as stop the growth of the rust until you can wack it for good. Ray Greenwood has several posts/responses here and over on STF on this. I’ve done it. It works.

I’ve got the same pits and tits on mine. I did the above to halt the process, after the winter we had, it’s still good. Not sure if a high build primer will fill the craters or if will need mud. On mine, not sure if I care Smile.

Great day in the a Great North Woods to work on VWs today, huh? I got some stuff done, broke my fuel pump:(. Might even update my thread...
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Copy, thanks. Good news is that up top, thats the worst of it on the two corners. Once both sides sanded, etched, primered and painted, gonna pull off top for fiberglass cleanup and a new three window top from BD. Used a gallon of purple stuff all over interior and pressure washed off. The inside will get the same pretreat and spray cover. Finishing up bed cushions and covers, and need to get back to cabinets and engine breakdown. Tomorrow shaping up for a good day to paint. Clear and dry finally.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

Picked up a gallon of ospho at Kelleys Napa, and unfortunately got rained out today so it will have to wait. Did some garage work and broke down motor for a look.

Just about every bolt and nut fought back, and had to cut one cylinder stud to get heads off. Pleasantly surprised at how well the internals look. It was a runner when parked 20 years ago, and I left the oil in it when parked. All valve train looks good. Will pull valves for a thorough cleaning of head and maybe a quick lap of valves but thats it for now. Cylinders will get a hone stone through them and a fresh set of rings go on pistons.

Once jugs were off the crank rolled through nice and smooth and clean inside. No rust of any kind inside the block. Both front and rear seals were dry, but will get replaced.

Theres an old guy in VT that does starter and altenator rebuilds so both will go off to him. Dont care if they need it or not. He is old school and does a nice job for a fair price, so worth piece of mind that theyre gonna be good to go.

All this is just to get it back on the road for this summer only. Once the snow flys up here, it will get parked. I have another short block that will get rebuilt to a higher performance level than stock that will go in the following spring. The 100,000# logging trucks come up quick on the downhills around here, and I dont want to become one of their hood ornaments.

Heres what i plan to order. Tell me what im missing.

Rings
Full engine seal kit
Full set of cylinder studs
New cylinder holddown nuts
Intake/exhaust gaskets
All new hoses fuel/vapor
Ignition tune up

Injectors headed out next week

Edit: im open to any suggestions on parts sourcing. Im familiar with the usual BD, WW, WCM, etc. any other places that have a better quality than off the shelf?

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Seamus-77 westy resto Reply with quote

I usually check Rockauto first if I'm not in a hurry. I've gotten quality brand parts for stupid discount. Not all of their prices are below other places but more often than not, they are. Usual consumables like plugs and filters can be had for steep savings. I picked up engine seal on closeout for $15, Wix filters for under $5, NGKs for $1.39ea, and spare clutch & accel cables for $4 ea last month. I like that for most items you have a variety of choices for quality and\or price point.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: