Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

map storage
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: map storage Reply with quote

this is one of those dirt-simple ideas that met all my criteria. i looked at all sorts of options and i wanted to be able to hold a bound atlas, loose maps, easily accessible, and can hold a lot.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

it's just a standard plastic magazine holder with a strip of velcro at the top. rests on the carpet, has about 1" of clearance with the shifter all the way forward, heater vents are not blocked. doesn't rattle or move. i use GPS all the time but nothing gives the big picture like printed maps.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: map storage Reply with quote

Sweet idea!

But what is this Map thing you refer to?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: map storage Reply with quote

if i could get a 48" display in my vehicles, i'd probably do without maps. but when you need to get from A to B, and it encompasses many miles, nothing beats a map for route planning. drives me crazy my kids don't see the value of them.... "I'll just look it up on my phone"

yes, i'm old, bald, and gray.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: map storage Reply with quote

my Vanagon is not large enough to hold my map collection
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: map storage Reply with quote

I was headed to Montana a few years back. I stopped at my daughters home in Pennsylvania on the way to drop off Grover, my Golden, for a few weeks of dog sitting.

On the way to her house I realized I had forgotten all my maps.
When I arrived I asked if I could borrow her road atlas.
She and her husband burst out laughing
They owned no such thing! They used their phone or in car GPS.

I stopped at the book store on the way out of town and purchased some maps and an atlas.

Kids!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Phoxxanator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: map storage Reply with quote

Hey man, I'm 31 and prefer maps. Very Happy Drove around the whole country with that Nat Geo "Adventure Edition" atlas; it was a great guide. Still lives under the passenger seat, along with the corresponding atlases for a few states I frequent.

But cartography and spatial research is also a large part of my work, so I'm sort of a nerd for maps and charts.

@ DanHoug - nice mod; thanks for sharing!
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: map storage Reply with quote

are you a GIS driver?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: map storage Reply with quote

Ditto.

GPS for me is an 'approximate' ranging and orienting device.
it is not telling me MY intended route/path. but it will connect me to my destination.
Merian wrote:
my Vanagon is not large enough to hold my map collection

while I have AAA
I find that most state welcome centers still have a better state specific folding paper road map.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: map storage Reply with quote

I'm a retired geographer, cartographer, GIS type.

I still use only maps for road travel.

GPS is a back-up.

Like geocaching Wink
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: map storage Reply with quote

Just bought a Rand McNally atlas the other day.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: map storage Reply with quote

Waze and downloaded Google maps all the way on the road. I remember memorizing mapquest routes before driving and prefer to utilize the turn by turn offered today.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: map storage Reply with quote

It’s ridiculously hard to find useful electronic maps. I put google maps up on a 120” diagonal display and it still doesn’t display more detail than it does on my iPhone. Garmin maps are not much better.

The paper maps are big and let you find a route from point A to point B larger than 50 sq miles.

Gaia GPS is useful and better than many e-maps...
https://www.gaiagps.com/

This USFS interactive map is decent but it’s still impossible to see road detail over a large area as can be seen on a paper map...
https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/

I’d love to hear of great e-maps that show tertiary and forest service roads over a large area, say, a 300 x 300 mile square (enough to plan all or part of a day’s route).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: map storage Reply with quote

Open Street Maps and the phone app OSMAnd is pretty good. It has all backroads and trails too. I recommend it !
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: map storage Reply with quote

Paper Gazetteers. Garmin bought Delorme Maps. It was a cool map company down in Yarmouth, Maine.Great gift for friends moving or traveling out of state.
I find it easier to chart an unplanned trip, like seeking out seasonal roads, unimproved roads and remote campsites

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/575993

No cell phone service. No problem.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: map storage Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I stopped at the book store on the way out of town and purchased some maps and an atlas.

What is this book store thing you refer to?

Another good place to find old-school, off-the-grid maps and atlases, especially when traveling in a new place, is a truck stop, as they are commonly used by working stiffs who need to get stuff done on a tight schedule. And who are often old, bald, and gray ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: map storage Reply with quote

Cool to hear about all the mapsters around here!

I considered cartography as a career, I adore maps and plan most of my photos strictly by contour lines vs. light season -- and all our wild travels.

Pre-visualization, Cheating! Laughing

I lost count of my 7.5 and 15-minute map total, but it's in the several hundreds plus well over 100 Trails Illustrateds. For anyone with old-enough TI maps (before and just after Nat Geo bought out the founders) they used to come with a yellow square icon with a hiker silhouette, as did their ads. That silhouette was my Missus recreated by an image of mine. Can't make that up.

Best place I've found for our atlas and "active" Gazeteers (states we're in or about to go to) I keep them standing up, two-wide behind the passenger bulkhead and held in place with our cooler. Only took five years to come up with that mod. Wink

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Sun May 05, 2019 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: map storage Reply with quote

One of the things I really liked about my walkthrough Bay with bulkheads was the space created right behind the front seats. It was very useful for maps and other frequently used items. The previous owner had cut holes for very large speakers in it which I used for access to the deeper recesses. Have thought about adding similar bulkheads to my 83 1/2.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: map storage Reply with quote

To keep large atlases and gazetteers within easy reach, I tuck them between the pilot's seat pedestal and the parking brake lever. Secondary stuff goes directly between the pilot's seat back and kitchen cabinet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: map storage Reply with quote

Link

ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: map storage Reply with quote

Planning a trip is much easier on a big fold out paper map.
At home I usually use Waze as it helps to avoid traffic jams and show really accurate arriving time. I use Sygic when going abroad as it has good offline maps and it was cheap.
Road atlases are a backup for me as my cheapo phones and non reliable GPSes caused a lot of trouble in the past.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: