Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

map storage
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldBlueSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: map storage Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
I'm a retired geographer, cartographer, GIS type.

I still use only maps for road travel.

GPS is a back-up.

Like geocaching Wink

Not anywhere near retiring, but of the GIS type too. I definitely prefer maps over GPS. GPS for city navigation though.

Do you guys have anything south of the border like this?
https://www.backroadmapbooks.com/?utm_term=backroa...Y9EALw_wcB

They're great. Shows you everything and gives you nice little descriptions of campsites, lakes, rivers, hikes, etc.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: map storage Reply with quote

I don't know of anything currently, but long ago developed separate climbing guide maps not that different. Then day-to-day biz got in the way, too many ideas, so little time.

Those look great!

One thing they nailed... Spiral Binding! All atlases should.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: map storage Reply with quote

to further this topic...

- has anyone launched a mapping drone from the roof of their Vanagon while underway?
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: map storage Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
to further this topic...

- has anyone launched a mapping drone from the roof of their Vanagon while underway?

I used to launch from my doka a lidar scanning quad but since I retired I don't have access to it anymore. Razz

If you saw the movie Prometheus the astronauts are standing in a tunnel and produce a red ball hologram that takes off down the tunnel ahead of them mapping the entire way.

Back at the mothership the transmitted data begins to build a large model hologram of that tunnel.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: