Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40 hp whats this?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:20 pm    Post subject: 40 hp whats this? Reply with quote

Dismantling one of my 40hp engines I came across this under the generator stand.

never seen one, can anyone enlighten me??

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp whats this? Reply with quote

I think it's to keep oil from coming up the oil filler , don't throw it away . Is it an early 40 horse .
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp whats this? Reply with quote

Some sort of an oil baffle?

I'm baffled, I've been ripping these engines apart since the 1960's, I've never seen a baffle like this.

I wonder if it is an aftermarket design of some sort.

Very interesting indeed.........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp whats this? Reply with quote

vwoldbug wrote:
I think it's to keep oil from coming up the oil filler , don't throw it away . Is it an early 40 horse .

yes it' s a June '61 40hp. acquired it as a 'rebuilt' engine guy couldn't get to run. Dist drive was 180 out Smile

It's never been run other than on my bench and just discovered it's built with 83mm B&P making it 1385?

I've never seen the oil tube thing either, I won't toss it away for sure Dave, it can go back in.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp whats this? Reply with quote

They were added as needed

From
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=220958

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp whats this? Reply with quote

Thanks Everett for the answer and link!

I feared a sleepless night....

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp whats this? Reply with quote

Interesting that the drawing specifies using a camshaft end plug for the cap.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp whats this? Reply with quote

The early 40hp oil baffle would normally have a base plate as well instead of simply a collar. You can see this in the drawing provided above as well as the pics below found in the gallery.

The tube baffle was the precursor to the later louver style used direct from the factory on later engines.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp whats this? Reply with quote

Have an NOS box of them around here somewhere... Made by Zelenda manufacturing.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp whats this? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
The tube baffle was the precursor to the later louver style used direct from the factory on later engines.

I just got one of these as it looked like it could be useful. My engine didn't have any sort of baffle plate when I took it apart.

PSQ: In what direction does it go in? It looks like it would work best with the baffles facing down, but they don't fit in the hole, the baffles being off-center.

So if the baffles do face up, which way should the openings be (the plate fits on the bolts with the baffle openings facing right or left only, and not front or back)? According to the diagram above, the old style with tube is inserted so that the slot faces away from the oil fill cap. Same thing with the slotted version?
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp whats this? Reply with quote

On mine the slot is facing away from the oil fill but I don't know who originally installed it. Not sure that it would make a huge difference.

At the bottom of the schematic it says that the slot is facing away from the oil fill.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp whats this? Reply with quote

Okay, I'll put it in with the slots facing away from the fill hole, one paper gasket on either side, as it seems to make the most sense as it relates to the original item.
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp whats this? Reply with quote

This is how I've always understood these to be installed. The center slot with the end longer than the end slots pointing to the rear of the car.
...edit ... Assuming you were referring to the type in the photo I included since that's the type that was in your post.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp whats this? Reply with quote

Side that is stamped "TOP" goes upward. Openings need to face the RH engine case wall. Crankshaft is slinging oil while turning CW as see from the rear. This causes a lot of oil to be thrown up against the top of the engine case and from there over to the RH engine case wall. So you are trying to keep the oil being slung from the crank from getting thru the openings.

That is a later type that will not fit the earlier small round filler hole in the engine case.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp whats this? Reply with quote

Found them:

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp whats this? Reply with quote

Are these stubby onnes for T3's?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp whats this? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Reading the label on the box, they are for engines with a 105mm diameter generator. Based on that information and what we saw from the service manual, the taller one would most likely be for engines with a 90mm diameter generator.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp whats this? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Reading the label on the box, they are for engines with a 105mm diameter generator. Based on that information and what we saw from the service manual, the taller one would most likely be for engines with a 90mm diameter generator.

So maybe designed for the 12 volt optioned buses from 1963-66? Would think these will work in the 6 volt 90mm versions also.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp whats this? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
So maybe designed for the 12 volt optioned buses from 1963-66? Would think these will work in the 6 volt 90mm versions also.

That would make the most sense, yes. I recall reading that a 12v generator was an option on the Beetle as well around that timeframe, though I've not seen any proof it was necessarily a 105mm version.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp whats this? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

That would make the most sense, yes. I recall reading that a 12v generator was an option on the Beetle as well around that timeframe, though I've not seen any proof it was necessarily a 105mm version.

Can not think right now of exactly when, but before 1967 model year the hole in the case went from the small round to the "D" shape. The latter allowed the use of the 113 101 221 B deflector made of a single sheet of metal with the vents pressed thru it. Of course that later deflector that was a so much simpler design to make, is another question of when it was a new part for VW. Would think it was implemented right off the bat with the hole change, but of course it could have been later.

Maybe later I can go thru the "Progressive Refinements" later to see if there is anything mentioned there.

Did find in the type 2 parts manual copy we have a reference:

113 101 221 A Oil deflector plate from engine 573912 type engine 42-, 44bhp

No drawing of that part in the exploded diagrams. That engine number comes up as MAR60, which would be what is now commonly called now a "Bastard 40HP engine" that were actually a 30bhp or 36HP SAE. So that is not making sense.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: