Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil leak in the
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Combinations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Oil leak in the Reply with quote

There is an oil leak on my 76 bay window bus engine. Right on the bolt that hold the fan. I can see oil all around. Not a lot, but When I drive it smells like burning oil.

I was wondering if it could:
1) come from crank shaft seal behind the fan
2) the oil pump?

Any idea?
Thanks
Aurel
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak in the Reply with quote

Lots of potential sources, it would help if you would give us the history you have on this engine. Is the rig new to you? Did the problem just start? What recent work has been done on the engine? Is your crankcase ventilation all there and checked to see that nothing is clogged?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak in the Reply with quote

as Mike said, lots of potential sources. Be sure your breather works.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak in the Reply with quote

the fan attaches with 3 bolts to the fan hub....the fan hub is tapered and attaches to the end of the crank with one bolt in the center, and a woodruff key so it aligns properly....there is a seal that goes into the the block that rides on the fan hub(021 105 247a), and there is also an o-ring behind the fan hub that prevents oil from leaking between the hub and the crank...which would most probably cause oil to appear at the center bolt if its dried out or missing...the tapered fit of the hub requires a puller to remove it to change either seal...any leaks in that area can get sucked into the fan and get blown all over the place, including oil cooler seals or a bad oil pressure switch ...and pushrod tube o-rings and valve cover gaskets can leak onto heater boxes and really smell

Last edited by volksworld on Tue May 07, 2019 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak in the Reply with quote

the spinning fan can make a mess of any nearby leak.
Combinations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak in the Reply with quote

Thanks guys for these info. Ok to make it short:

-Purchased the bus with engine out.
-The engine was rebuilt by a mechanic and had a dual carb, crank... and all the stuff that makes it ''stronger''
-I installed the engine and drove it for 2000 miles.
-Found that oil leak in the fan area ( some oil right in the center of the fan where the bolt is.
-Clean everything to try to spot if the oil come back after running it for 20 minutes.
I just found a leak at the top of a con rod pipe seal, at 4th cylinder I think ( left on close to the fan)

That's where I am now. Here are some pics.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak in the Reply with quote

Oil in the centre, or if you prefer "intake" side of the fan has come from outside the engine and been sucked there by the fan.

I see that instead of an oil breather plumbed to an air filter, somebody had fitted a small filter. Bad. Bad for at least two reasons...

1. I bet it's by now visually soaked and dripping oil. If not it soon will be. When the engine is running it will spit out a mist of crankcase oily horror.

2. The oily mist is being sucked into both fans, heated by your heat exchangers and pumped into the cab for heating. Not good for the occupants.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak in the Reply with quote

Having a breather setup like you do is going to cover everything in the engine compartment with oil over time. I personally would vent the crankcase into the top of one of the air cleaners so the oily blowby gas gets consumed by the engine as per what has been the automotive norm since the 1960's. The vent hose needs to be routed so it has continuous slope otherwise it will clog with engine snot over time.

If you do have oil coming from the fan hub area, then remove the fan and the hub and check/replace the o-ring that fits behind the hub. You could replace the shaft seal for the fan hub at the same time if you feel there is any possibility that it is the cause of the leak.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak in the Reply with quote

anytime the breather is inadequate it will cause pressure to build in the crankcase when under load, and force oil out other places. Get the breather fixed first.
Combinations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak in the Reply with quote

Ok I see, what is the correct air breather I should mount? ( any picture or link) I am used to split and don't know these engines. Thanks guys!
Combinations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak in the Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I personally would vent the crankcase into the top of one of the air cleaners so the oily blowby gas gets consumed by the engine as per what has been the automotive norm since the 1960's. The vent hose needs to be routed so it has continuous slope otherwise it will clog with engine snot over time.

Do you have by any chance a picture that could help me visualize the configuration?

Thanks
Aurel
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak in the Reply with quote

Combinations wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
I personally would vent the crankcase into the top of one of the air cleaners so the oily blowby gas gets consumed by the engine as per what has been the automotive norm since the 1960's. The vent hose needs to be routed so it has continuous slope otherwise it will clog with engine snot over time.

Do you have by any chance a picture that could help me visualize the configuration?

Thanks
Aurel

This is the air cleaner lid and breather hose on my 1800. The hose just runs from the breather box on the engine and dumps through the air cleaner lid right above the venturi. I just used a grommet and plastic elbow available at most any hardware store.

Combinations
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak in the Reply with quote

Excellent, merci! Good inspiration!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: