Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake light question - solved!
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Brake light question - solved! Reply with quote

If you've been following the history of my car, you know I'm getting close.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9068557&highlight=#9068557

They are having one problem with the rear lights that they are scratching their head about. The car has been totally rewired and I'm assured it has a good ground. The problem is only with the rear lights, everything else works fine.

When you have the running lights on, both filaments in the rear brake lights come on. When you step on the brakes, there is no change in the lights as both filaments are already on.

If you turn off the running lights and step on the brakes, both filaments come on.

Any thoughts? How would you problem solve it?
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!

Last edited by bigdog1962 on Thu May 09, 2019 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light question Reply with quote

Clean ALL grounds between bulbs and body.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light question Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:

When you have the running lights on, both filaments in the rear brake lights come on. When you step on the brakes, there is no change in the lights as both filaments are already on.

If you turn off the running lights and step on the brakes, both filaments come on.

Any thoughts? How would you problem solve it?

Sounds like.. stop lamp power is back feeding into the tail lamp circuit.

My first question.. are the elements at full brightness or dimmed?

If they are fully bright.. ..then suspect an issue with the bulb reflector terminal tabs touching each other..

Id bet that's the case here.

Sometimes as you lock the bulb in. the two lead pads on the bulb can slide over .. or bend the tab over.. and contact the other tab
Tail light power can back feed into the brake circuit. and the stop lamp power can back feed into the tail circuit.

Pull the reflector out.. flip it over and inspect.. its usually pretty obvious.

Also note worthy.. be sure a single element bulb isn't accidentally placed in a dual element spot.. (and vice versa) .. and yes... that happens.

Now... If they are obviously both dim.. = Problem with new paint or old rust.. lost ground.

Quite simply.. the fender.. or lamp housing isn't connected via ground to the main body.

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Grounds.... , fender lamps path to ground back to the main body... Paint or rust can basically insulate (resistance) ..
The basic fender lamp ground path....
Bulb case contacts the reflector,
the reflector contacts lamp housing,
lamp housing (studs/washers) contacts fender,
fender contacts fender bolts,
fender bolts contact body,
body contacts negative battery post through the ground cable.

If you want to test.... run a jumper ground from a good engine ground to the reflector.. if if all works... its a ground.

Either way.. proper testing with the reflector out of the fender. .. is use a jumper wire from the reflector back to the body.. or better the engine.

Its not a bad idea to use extra ground circuits from each fender lamp to the the body.. but that wouldn't be original.... the horror.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light question Reply with quote

Remove the wires from bulb holder and test for voltage from each to ground with the tail lamp and then stop lamps switched on, and off. If that checks ok, problem is likely in the bulb holder or its ground.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light question Reply with quote

Please spare me the 13 page read, and tell us if this is a new problem, something that popped up recently, and if there was repainting of the body/fenders in the meantime.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light question - solved! Reply with quote

Long story short - it was a bad bulb.

@KTPhil - I only put the link in case someone needed a reference. It is definitely a long story and it seems like its been 100 years since this started. It was a body off, everything painted, new problem. (So it could have been new paint/bad ground but it wasn't). I was beginning to wonder if I would ever live to see the day it was completed. Smile

bluebus/Volkswagnut/Eric and Barb - Thanks for the ideas. He called me back to tell me he figured it out before I could give him suggestions.

It went something like this - he got frustrated, pulled the bulbs in frustration and one got broken - thrown against the ground. He said he got to looking at the filament and noticed alot of soldering on the inside of the bulb. He tested another one and it didn't work. He broke that one and again, alot of soldering inside. He then tested another and it worked. It was the drivers side (left) bulb that was shorting them both out. He said he's already called his vendor and told them that they gave him a set of bad bulbs and he has the remnants to show them.

Anyway, thanks all! It's solved.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light question - solved! Reply with quote

Good to hear it was easily solved? Very Happy
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light question - solved! Reply with quote

I guess a bad bulb would be low down on the list as a problem. We were going over the last few things I wanted done and he told me of his frustration with the back lights. I offered to post it and see what suggestions there were that maybe he hadn't thought of.

Several weeks ago Volkswagnut solved another head scratcher. You guys are great. Thank you for being there.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light question - solved! Reply with quote

Ah yes the ole filaments touching each other inside the glass or shit for parts....

Never assume anything is 100% new or good.

Nice easy fix...

One of our "test bugs" in my GM ASEP course...1156 in an 1157 slot... makes all the park lights come on when the brakes were applied... I told the professor next time give ma a hard one. Laughing
He grumbled something about fart ass... I still dont know what he meant by that comment... Think Laughing

We are here to help...this place is a wealth of old VW knowledge that one day may be forgotten..

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: