Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jbugs or Cip1 for new dash pad??
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Jbugs or Cip1 for new dash pad?? Reply with quote

I'm sure this has been talked about before but I haven't seen many youtube videos on installation on 72 vw super beetles. Is there a best fitting dash pad or are all of them pretty much the same...
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or Cip1 for new dash pad?? Reply with quote

I've heard that West Coast Metrics makes the best.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2167079
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or Cip1 for new dash pad?? Reply with quote

#1 choice- OEM VW of Mexico from Antonio: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=84077

#2 best- WestCoast Metric

#3 WolfsburgWest

#4jbugs, cip1,
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or Cip1 for new dash pad?? Reply with quote

Here's link to a fairly recent thread all about installing aftermarket dash pad that you may want to review. I think the dash pad he got was from WCM ("West Coast Metric"), but still had issues with the fit-up:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714982&highlight=dash+video

In the end, think he got it to the point where he was fairly happy with overall fit (albeit sounds like was never able to really get the glove box door to fit & work correctly).

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or Cip1 for new dash pad?? Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
I've heard that West Coast Metrics makes the best.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2167079

I just asked Jbugs who makes their dash pads...WCM! Seems Jbugs costs more but then again, there is free shipping and WCM doesn't offer free shipping...
Jms2980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or Cip1 for new dash pad?? Reply with quote

baldessariclan wrote:
Here's link to a fairly recent thread all about installing aftermarket dash pad that you may want to review. I think the dash pad he got was from WCM ("West Coast Metric"), but still had issues with the fit-up:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714982&highlight=dash+video

In the end, think he got it to the point where he was fairly happy with overall fit (albeit sounds like was never able to really get the glove box door to fit & work correctly).

Installed one from WCM a year-ago. Fits OK. Forward facing dash vents require a tremendous amount of trimming to get the vents to fit. Called WCM and discussed with them and thats just the way it is. Glove box door area still doesn't fit right. Door is on but you can't fit the trim ring or open the door. Last year just wanted to get the car on the road so haven't messed with trimming the material from the backside of the dash pad to get to fit better yet. Ultimately, the dash pad is too thick. Needs to be a shallower mold.
squeegee_boy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or Cip1 for new dash pad?? Reply with quote

Get an OEM one, from either Mexico as noted above or good used ones are around. I did a WCM one 2 years ago and had several fit problems, most notably the glove box, which simply didn't operate correctly with that pad.

I found a good used OEM one and it fit perfectly on the first try, and cost less than the aftermarket ones.

Robyn
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or Cip1 for new dash pad?? Reply with quote

You can always just remove it and go with the metal dash look, if you want vents and knobs to fit right you can order from here:

https://www.vwheritage.com/beetle/vw-beetle-classic-interior/dashboard-parts

As over there they didn’t have the padded dash. Just have to pay for shipping and wait, but may actually be cheaper then some of those dash pads.
205T (Bill)
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or Cip1 for new dash pad?? Reply with quote

squeegee_boy wrote:
Get an OEM one, from either Mexico as noted above or good used ones are around. I did a WCM one 2 years ago and had several fit problems, most notably the glove box, which simply didn't operate correctly with that pad.

I found a good used OEM one and it fit perfectly on the first try, and cost less than the aftermarket ones.

Robyn

I have a Super Beetle and according to Antonio, he's not sure it would fit seeing as they didn't make any super beetles. After checking with Jbugs, they do give a section where they show which pads work on which beetles and it appears that the beetle is the same as the 72 SB. He sent me a pic of the dash and it didn't really look that good. Seems I'll have to cut out many of the knobs...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or Cip1 for new dash pad?? Reply with quote

Relyt wrote:
You can always just remove it and go with the metal dash look, if you want vents and knobs to fit right you can order from here:

As over there they didn’t have the padded dash. Just have to pay for shipping and wait, but may actually be cheaper then some of those dash pads.

If I went to metal dash, is there anything that will fill the round holes (where the padded dash was mounted) or is the only way to fill them is to weld?
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or Cip1 for new dash pad?? Reply with quote

I don’t think anyone makes something specifically to fill the holes. I’m planning to go to the hardware store/auto parts store and see what I can come up with.
205T (Bill)
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or Cip1 for new dash pad?? Reply with quote

Maybe they have some chrome buttons that would snap in or something similar?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or Cip1 for new dash pad?? Reply with quote

dart451 wrote:

I have a Super Beetle and according to Antonio, he's not sure it would fit seeing as they didn't make any super beetles. After checking with Jbugs, they do give a section where they show which pads work on which beetles and it appears that the beetle is the same as the 72 SB. He sent me a pic of the dash and it didn't really look that good. Seems I'll have to cut out many of the knobs...

How much did he want for it?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or Cip1 for new dash pad?? Reply with quote

dart451 wrote:
Relyt wrote:

If I went to metal dash, is there anything that will fill the round holes (where the padded dash was mounted) or is the only way to fill them is to weld?

I'm not sure if these threads contain your answer, but they are all regarding the metal dash conversions:
Main topic (covers most of the conversion)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
Glovebox door conversion:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
Dash knobs:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=677877
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Antonio Trejo
VW Parts Dealer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or Cip1 for new dash pad?? Reply with quote

I sold to TX-73 (Samba member) one genuine VW dash pad, he had to cut perfect holes to install the switches.
Genuine VW Ultima Edition parts
Genuine VW Type 2 watercooled parts
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or Cip1 for new dash pad?? Reply with quote

Cutting holes in a new dash pad is no big thing. Being able to shut the glove-box door properly is a big enough plus to go to the trouble of cutting a few holes.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
74 standard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or Cip1 for new dash pad?? Reply with quote

My dash pad from cip1 is wcm. Test fit is fine but I haven’t tried the install with the glove box. The finish on it is perfect.
green1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or Cip1 for new dash pad?? Reply with quote

As far as I know, Wolfsburg West does not make a dash pad for this car. Most shops sell the West Coast Metric reproduction, which is the best thing that’s available in a quantity large enough to stock it. For many parts, an individual person can buy NOS, but 100 people can’t.

I have seen a cheap alternative but wouldn’t think of buying it. The Empi 4436 dash pad has the vents moulded into it, unlike the original. I’m not sure if Empi or Dashes Direct manufactures it. See the reviews here.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-71-76-Super-Beetle-71-72/dp/B00BJPY7K4#customerReviews

The best answer for an individual is to buy the NOS VW Mexico part and cut the holes. When the stock runs out, then everybody will benefit from others’ experience fitting the WCM reproduction.

https://www.westcoastmetric.com/search.html?q=113-051b
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or Cip1 for new dash pad?? Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
dart451 wrote:

How much did he want for it?

He wanted $227.00 shipped
72VWSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or Cip1 for new dash pad?? Reply with quote

I thought that I would re-visit this thread seeing as I will be installing the new dash soon. I'm curious, how does one cut nice holes where they should be? I have hole saws but the blades are quite course for wood and I'd hate to tear up the dash pad with course hole saws...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: