Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake light gremlin: lights stay on / e brake light goes off
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Brake light gremlin: lights stay on / e brake light goes off Reply with quote

I just had an interesting experience with my brake lights / parking brake dash light. During a short drive, I noticed my parking brake warning light was lit. But, the parking handle was released. Moving the lever up/down (while I was driving) didn't turn the warning lamp off. When I would brake (foot pedal), the warning lamp would turn off. Later, after I parked and walked around the back of the van, the rear brake lights were lit (ON) - both the tail lights and the additional 3rd LED lamp I installed in the window.

Returning home and just beginning to check things, functions started working normally. I took the boot off the parking brake to look at the switch (looked / worked normal). Checked the brake fluid level (good). By this time the braking system lights, warning light, etc. were all functioning normally.

Brakes are good and recently adjusted.
Brake feel is solid.
Brake fluid was changed less than 30 days and 300 miles ago, system bleed out properly.
Parking brake works normally.

Something electrical just went weird. What should I check?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light gremlin: lights stay on / e brake light goes off Reply with quote

90 % of all gremlins are bad groundy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light gremlin: lights stay on / e brake light goes off Reply with quote

thummmper wrote:
90 % of all gremlins are bad groundy

Lots of rain here lately. Maybe some water intrusion somewhere perhaps?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light gremlin: lights stay on / e brake light goes off Reply with quote

I predict:

You have a van with two SPDT brake light switches (pre-'85), and one of them is faulty.

The brake warning light comes on to let you know this, deliberate design apparently, though there's nothing in any manual I've seen to suggest this.

Here's how I found this out:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660358
fishgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake light gremlin: lights stay on / e brake light goes off Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
I predict:

You have a van with two SPDT brake light switches (pre-'85), and one of them is faulty.

The brake warning light comes on to let you know this, deliberate design apparently, though there's nothing in any manual I've seen to suggest this.

Here's how I found this out:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660358

Van is an '83 AC, so a 3 prong might be a good suggestion. And since there was lots of brake fluid flush/fill activity this may make some sense that either the switch(es) or wiring may have been disturbed causing the problem. I'll stick my head under the dash to verify.

It looks like this isn't an expensive part to replace so I might consider ordering both for precaution's sake, and keep an eye on the rear brake lights / e brake dash light in the meantime.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Brake light gremlin: lights stay on / e brake light goes off Reply with quote

Yes, good idea to buy two. Replace both, but keep the good old switch as a spare for 'next time' - which now won't happen because you've got the spare. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: