Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

58 patina ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
So nice. I wonder if that is original, not sure if I’ve seen any og dolphin blues on the Samba...

I'm not sure if it's original...most as you say are restorations in the Samba Gallery... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...t_dir=DESC
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Nice overcast day here in El Paso, took a drive to New Mexico, and up the trans mountain highway.... and a little more dolphin blue coming through...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You don’t often see one of these in your rear view... refurbished vintage trollies here in El Paso.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

found this thread via the gallery.

love the car. love it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Just stumbled on this thread, love that car! Wouldn't ever paint it. I'd do the upholstery right, but that's about it.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Really cool you're enjoying it Smile keep us updated!
Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Thanks gentlemen. I keep slowly taking down this silver color that was the last paint job, and then sometimes I run into this green paint that had a thick coat of primer under it, under all that is some patches of og dolphin blue that I love. I think I’m pretty much done with it though, as you can see in this picture, the fender had nothing but oxide primer under the silver... so I’m kinda stuck with this surface rust fender, if I had known I would have just left it silver.

KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
Thanks gentlemen. I keep slowly taking down this silver color that was the last paint job, and then sometimes I run into this green paint that had a thick coat of primer under it, under all that is some patches of og dolphin blue that I love. I think I’m pretty much done with it though, as you can see in this picture, the fender had nothing but oxide primer under the silver... so I’m kinda stuck with this surface rust fender, if I had known I would have just left it silver.

Sad Bummer.

Your Ghia was one of the first that convinced me that heavy patina paint Ghias can be beautiful - it's a shame that the majority of that delicately sun-faded paint is now gone from that fender.

It happens, though - I can't begin to tell you how often I've kept fussing with something "great" trying to make it "even greater", only to have it end up "not so great anymore".

I bet a really talented airbrush artist working from the many great photos you have could duplicate the old patina finish if you really wanted it back that way. Wink
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

At least you didn't find 3 gallons of bondo slathered over chicken wire holding the nose in place. Twisted Evil

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Some amazing murals here in El Paso...could be a nice series....Smile

calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Like this...

bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

calexican wrote:
A little more Dolphin Blue coming through! It really is a lovely color. I was taking my time with a little wet sanding, and keep finding more patches of og paint. Nice.

Very nice. What method were you using to uncover the original paint? Was it just wet sanding? I’m pulling a 70s re-spray off my 64 Squareback, getting back to the original birch green, but I’m basically just using razorblades and patience at this point. Some have had success with oven cleaner or lacquer thinner, just wondering what your approach was.

By the way, I dropped by a buddy’s house a few weeks ago and he was spinning a Calexico album, I saw the cover and said, hey that guy John’s on the Ghia forum, has a really nice patina 58. He’s a huge fan and was quite surprised that I knew of you from the VW world.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Thanks Bob! That birch green square back is very cool, looks like you are doing a great job getting that dull dark green off. I’ve used every method with varying results. On some parts of my car there is a coat of silver, then green with a thick undercoat, silver again, and finally og dolphin blue. On those parts I’ve had good luck with a fine sand paper wheel on a vary speed drill.

then the other patches I’ve used stripper or just wet sanded with a fine sanding sponge. The thing is you have a lot of og that hasn’t been sanded or covered with bondo, so if you burn through it’s more painful.... mine is a big mess anyway so I take a few more chances. I think how you are doing it is best for your car. Reminds me of Moogie’s Ghia, she was able to completely strip back to og paint, even the interior, that was my original inspiration to try myself, that and there have been some amazing busses that have been stripped to there original logo paint, which is amazing.

That’s great your friend was spinning vinyl! Thanks for the support, I think we played in Halifax once, would be great to get to Newfoundland someday.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Try saturating a rag with acetone & holding it on the repaint. The acetone will not affect the original paint & might blister the over coat off. This is how I got down to the original paint on my bus.

If it does blister or soften the respray, use a plastic razor blade (or I just used the edge of the plastic top off one of the old acetone containers) to scrape the respray off.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Thanks for that, and thanks for the compliments. The few times I’ve nicked the paint and scraped through have indeed been painful, can’t imagine burning through a large area, so I think I will stay with the blades, but may try to soften with a rag of lacquer thinner as TDCTDI suggests.

Funny you should mention Moogie’s Ghia, that was my main inspiration for trying this as well. She did amazing work bringing back that paint. And yes, please do try to get here, it’s a pretty unique place with lots of talented music aficionados, I think you’d be well appreciated and received.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Beautiful sunrise this morning in old El Paso. Seasons greetings, and hope for a great new year. Happy motoring!
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Lovely setting John. A very Happy Christmas and New Year to you and your family.
Sorry to have missed you on your tour this year. Jacqui was laid low with a seasonal coughing virus so we had to miss out. Heard good reports of the gig in Antwerp from a friend in Belgium. Smile
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

I lightened up this picture a bit for better affect...out here on the road... excited to get home and reinstall my transmission, had to take it out because of 4th gear popping out, putting some new synchros in... you would think that would have been done on a rebuilt tranny... anyway, it’s a good chance for me to put my better built motor with all balanced and correct sized bearings, as well as the clutch cable with wing nut and new ebrake cables. Something to look forward to when I get home.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

That’s some postcard shit right there.

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: 58 patina ghia Reply with quote

Beautiful picture John...I envy you your wingnut. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 21

Jump to: