Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilding: 1.6TD JX Turbo Diesel engine
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding: 1.6TD JX Turbo Diesel engine Reply with quote

I’m not going to tell you to reuse engine bearings based on a photo. Sorry.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding: 1.6TD JX Turbo Diesel engine Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

But from photos someone might be able to tell if I definitely should NOT reuse them Smile
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding: 1.6TD JX Turbo Diesel engine Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
MarkWard wrote:

But from photos someone might be able to tell if I definitely should NOT reuse them Smile

Ed, Not really. Find a good machinist and work
with them.

Unless the bearings are so bad you can tell they are shot because
nothing is left.

Like if you posted a pic of a lute and said what condition is this in? Devil is in the details.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding: 1.6TD JX Turbo Diesel engine Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
epowell wrote:
MarkWard wrote:

Ed, Not really. Find a good machinist and work
with them.

Unless the bearings are so bad you can tell they are shot because
nothing is left.

Like if you posted a pic of a lute and said what condition is this in? Devil is in the details.

OK, sounds good...
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding: 1.6TD JX Turbo Diesel engine Reply with quote

I'll be going to the machinist tomorrow, so today doing my final prep...
I found something I'd like to have cleared up >
I have 2 manuals:
1) VAG specifically for the JX
2) BENTLEY specifically for the CS

As we know the JX and CS are so similar that most specs are identical, and I think the BENTLEY goes into more detail than the VAG manual so therefore I am comparing both... here I found a discrepancy... my intuition tells me that when there is a discrepancy I should go with the VAG specs since they are for sure for JX.
The first image is VAG, the next image is the BENTLEY;
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding: 1.6TD JX Turbo Diesel engine Reply with quote

I don't have my calculator handy, but the first table has a pretty large range that probably covers the range in the second table. My hunch is, it is + or - not minus minus as the first table shows.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding: 1.6TD JX Turbo Diesel engine Reply with quote

There isn't really much discrepancy between them, the Bentley numbers are just slightly rounded. The same basic tables are in other VW Bentleys and you find both the rounded and not rounded versions depending on the Bentley version and engine section. Gas motors used the same sizes as the diesels. Later model's books tend to have the not rounded numbers, at least in my Bentley library. The - signs are correct. Some tables make it clearer so maybe look for one of those for the machinist, un-rounded and with just the ranges.

Edit:

Here is a table from 85-92 Jetta Bentley
same table covers diesel, turbo diesel, gas
11 engine codes of inline 4 models

Mark

epowell wrote:

As we know the JX and CS are so similar that most specs are identical, and I think the BENTLEY goes into more detail than the VAG manual so therefore I am comparing both... here I found a discrepancy... my intuition tells me that when there is a discrepancy I should go with the VAG specs since they are for sure for JX.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuilding: 1.6TD JX Turbo Diesel engine Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

Here is a table from 85-92 Jetta Bentley
same table covers diesel, turbo diesel, gas
11 engine codes of inline 4 models

OK, so the manuals are microscopically different... the GOLF manual really gives the most accurate numbers.

So I went today to the machinist > a bugger to find it tucked away in the backstreets of a quite grubby part of Ostrava... the guy told me he only does heads.

He gave me a specific recommendation for a guy in a neighboring town - that can do exactly this work. Unfortunately he is 50KM from my place, but if he is good, it is worth it. I'll probably go tomorrow...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: