Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solar panel sources?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Solar panel sources? Reply with quote

Looking for 2x100w panels, black aluminum frame. Any other good recommendations besides Amazon and ebay?

Also: any idea how much crossbar shading will effect a monocystalline panel? Thinking about oversizing my solar panels to compensate for the bar shading.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel sources? Reply with quote

I've always found 'boots on the ground' in my local area to be way more useful than ordering off a website. Many of the worries and questions you will need to deal with are stuff local installers already have a good understanding of. My 'guy' has been in business for more than 20 years, and I really trust him, both to know the stuff, and to have good suppliers that he has worked with for a while.

Hope you find a local person to help, it makes sense and dollars..

-bobby
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel sources? Reply with quote

If you are not in a huge rush, sign up for emails on www.renogy.com and they will let you know when panels go on sale. A couple weeks ago they had 100W monocrystalline panels on sale for $99.00.

Shading has a drastic effect on panel output. It might be best to make one (or both) of the panels easily removable so you can deploy it away from the van to track direct sun throughout the day.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel sources? Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the responses. I might just go with a silver frame. I'm going to search a little more and will keep you guys posted.

I have the Humless 130w portable panel that I would use once in 'shade'. I'm just looking for something to keep my batteries happy when the top is closed and I can't deploy the portable.

I need to experiment with my 130w panel. Hold a bar in front of it and reference victron app to see difference it makes.

Regardless, I'll need the panels. Or one long panel. Trying to stretch the length across 3 cross bars on a westy roof.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel sources? Reply with quote

We're back to our 120 portable only, but still ponder a roof panel(s) when in weak light. For us it'd be handy on maybe 25% of days, or more east of the big river. On days of even an hour's drive, we're charged to 12.7.

So I get your thinking here, obviously dependent on what you're powering and how and where you travel.

We speced out a 160 single, plan was to almost flush-mount it to the roof and paint the frame to match the roof color to clean up the look a little. The ultimate gig I thought up would be a flexible, with closed-cell panels flush-filling a Westy roof's low points for the support the panels apparently need at speed.

But regardless, in the end I don't think extended durability is there with flexibles yet, and in hot climates and no underside venting, they have a real issue there.

You might do a little research on the power cost of even a little shade. One site I found claimed like a 10% loss with only 1% shade or something wild like that. I had the same wonder if we'd done the roof mount with bars above, then edited like a mad dog and are removing the box and even the bars, along with a huge Pelican box, next week. Can't wait.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel sources? Reply with quote

You can get a rough idea by blocking your portable panel with the crossbar shadow but different panels can be different in that respect.

Measure the amps!!! Move the shadow around and see if that matters much.
A shadow that blocks only 10% of the panel can reduce the amps and watts by 90%, depending on which 10% of the panel.

Mark
Make America Vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel sources? Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:

Also: any idea how much crossbar shading will effect a monocystalline panel? Thinking about oversizing my solar panels to compensate for the bar shading.

Try this in Multiman MV's build post. I really enjoyed all the back and forth between members. Start from the post on January 27, 2019.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=560
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel sources? Reply with quote

I remember that thread. Thats kinda what gave me an idea.

I'll try it out with my portable panel. This will be super easy to do with my Victron app.

Again, regardless I'll be going with 2x 100w panels. I'm hoping to get black frames.

One 175 watt is an option but I'd rather have it be longer in length rather than width.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel sources? Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I remember that thread. Thats kinda what gave me an idea.

I'll try it out with my portable panel. This will be super easy to do with my Victron app.

Again, regardless I'll be going with 2x 100w panels. I'm hoping to get black frames.

One 175 watt is an option but I'd rather have it be longer in length rather than width.

You need a real good load on the panel to see any impact. Use a power hog like a 12v heater... or a 12 V fridge.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel sources? Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

You need a real good load on the panel to see any impact. Use a power hog like a 12v heater... or a 12 V fridge.

12v fridge uses probably around 5-10 amps while 'cooling'. I'll make sure its running when I do my tests.

I think I'm gonna do two of these panels.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FN8FX7Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2PCXLFT92FVBY&psc=1
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: