Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

She's topless! Ci Piace!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Congrats, I'm really happy to see people take this on. So many posts suggest that replacing the convertible top is one job "I would never do". That it usually costs $3,000 makes me want to try. Hell, I just completely rebuilt an engine - how hard can a top be? So, please continue to share any experiences you gain from the process.

Well...my original estimate for replacement stuff for my top (including a reconditioned frame) was almost $5000 and that was me doing the work to put it on. I think I have that worked down to about $2000 now by rescuing existing parts and getting donor pieces from VERY generous Samba members...but, still...it's the most expensive part of the restoration (as far as concentrated $$$ in one spot).

I have watched that video series by Chris Vallone...it's excellent...lots of good videos on there...my only gripe is that MOST of his vids are for bugs much older than mine so it doesn't necessarily translate to a super beetle....still great stuff though!
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

beanlover wrote:
Tom K. wrote:
Congrats, I'm really happy to see people take this on. So many posts suggest that replacing the convertible top is one job "I would never do". That it usually costs $3,000 makes me want to try. Hell, I just completely rebuilt an engine - how hard can a top be? So, please continue to share any experiences you gain from the process.

Well...my original estimate for replacement stuff for my top (including a reconditioned frame) was almost $5000 and that was me doing the work to put it on. I think I have that worked down to about $2000 now by rescuing existing parts and getting donor pieces from VERY generous Samba members...but, still...it's the most expensive part of the restoration (as far as concentrated $$$ in one spot).

I have watched that video series by Chris Vallone...it's excellent...lots of good videos on there...my only gripe is that MOST of his vids are for bugs much older than mine so it doesn't necessarily translate to a super beetle....still great stuff though!
Cost is always a consideration, at times insurmountable. I've marveled at the moxie of folks starting on a convertible top project without even a frame in hand. In my limited experience I've been fortunate to have been able to deconstruct an existing top on a Ghia and now a Super Beetle; it helps reduce the natural "first time" trepidation. I think Chris Vallone's videos are similarly helpful: having seen the woodworking effort he has had to put into an early SB top it made me sooooo happy to find only the one wood bow in the '79 top frame! But I'm not convinced that the converse of Tom K.'s statement would be true for me Laughing
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

Progress! Rear pads are in: stapled, glued, wrapped, and trimmed. I'm going to try to tackle the top pad installation next. Cool
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

guidosarduchi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

I did the top on my 71 with the help of a friend. I notice the couple of flaws but I am happy with the way it came out.

When I was shopping for parts I was told flat out by the part supplier to not try doing it myself.

If you take your time, watch videos, and abide by measurements it isn't too bad. It was expensive.

I watched the one by marla plain and small https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2ugEHo-vRE helped me a lot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MACJELLY58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

Thank you very much for sharing this. I will someday(Hopefully soon) need to do the same and will be following closely.
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

padding wrapped, next step will be the top cover Cool
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

Good for you!

I didn't even know you had a Beetle......

I had a 74 that I did top work on, fixing a botched install.

Keep up the good work!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: She's not topless anymore! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

Woohoo! I got the canvas top cover attached. Maybe y'all can tell me how best to go about trying to eliminate the wrinkle in the right rear. I futzed around with the rear cable for half a day, but it's like there's just a little too much material there. I suppose I could try loosening the cable in order to pull the extra material down and then slather glue on and roll it up. I also managed to put a greasy palm print on it, well of course Rolling Eyes it's white and I'm a guy Laughing Before tackling what will probably be the most difficult step (installing the rear window) maybe y'all can offer some suggestions... I'm thinking maybe a liberal application of silicone grease might be the ticket Confused But first there's the headliner that needs to be attached to the window frame, and I can already see there's going to be a tradeoff between having a taut headliner above the rear window and actually being able to lower the top. I've stood in the car while lowering and raising the top and marked how the upper edge of the rear window frame actually rides over a couple of inches of the headliner as the rear wood bow folds over it. It's entirely possible that I just don't understand this particular aspect of the German engineering that went into this contraption, so maybe it's best to plan for the worst, hope for the best, and just let the mystery be. Wink

Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

Amazing! Sorry I can't help with the wrinkle issue. You are miles ahead of 95% of the Samba community on this issue.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
beno696
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

I dig it
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

I worked on getting rid of the wrinkle from the right rear area (see previous pic), but I frayed the cable in the process. d'oh! I chatted with Chuck at Chuck's Convertible Parts about it, we worked out a possible fix, and he sent me a new cable. Chuck is a standup guy in my book Applause In the interim I loosened the frayed cable up to a point where I could grab the bead along the bottom edge, pulled it taut, and marked a line on the top cover just below the channel in the apron. Then I took out about eight inches of the stitches holding the bead to the top, cut along the marked line, and sewed it back together. The new cable arrived today, and I just got it in and snugged up.
Look ma! No wrinkle! Wink Man am I glad Uncle Sam's Misguided Children taught me how to use a needle and thread! Laughing Onward Arrow

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

Progress: top cover and headliner attached to rear window frame, ready for rear window installation.

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

Installed the rear window. I'm hoping my greasy paw prints can be removed.
guidosarduchi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

Looks incredible. Cheers!
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

If I could change the title it would say "Check out her booty!" just to see what cusser might post in response Laughing I finished installing the weatherstrip for the side windows and checked the fit of the new boot, just need to install the snaps. That about wraps it up. I'm satisfied with the way it turned out, and more importantly my wife is really happy Wink Thanks to all you guys who shared your advice, tips, and positive comments. Thanks for looking! Cool

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

It looks........ Well Super!

Nice to see a triple white vert. You did a great job on the install.

Glad to hear that your wife is happy with the results of your hard work.

Enjoy the ride.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Jerkstore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: She's topless! Ci Piace! Reply with quote

An inspiring sequence as I see the looming iceberg dead ahead of me. Well done.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: