Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starting a “build thread” how to
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Starting a “build thread” how to Reply with quote

It will be my first engine build and I would l8ke to be able to ask questions BEFORE I do things. Good idea or not?
How and where do I start it?
I would assume performance engines section but do I just start posting my thread and keep adding to it??
Suggestions?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a “build thread” how to Reply with quote

You can start an engine build thread anywhere you want. That said, if it's gonna be a performance engine. Put your build thread in the Performance forum.

If you're building a stocker. It may be more beneficial for the readers who are on the ledge of building their own stock engine. TO place your thread in the year/car appropriate forum.

Either way. Ask your questions up front. Then gather the required parts, tools and get to work.
Many pro engine builders regularly cruise many different forums here.

Don't worry. I have asked some of the dumbest questions in the past and survived the performance forum guys.

Good Luck.
67 Sunroof wrote:
It will be my first engine build and I would l8ke to be able to ask questions BEFORE I do things. Good idea or not?
How and where do I start it?
I would assume performance engines section but do I just start posting my thread and keep adding to it??
Suggestions?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a “build thread” how to Reply with quote

Ok! Time to grow a set and start then!!!
Thanks
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a “build thread” how to Reply with quote

Air-cooled is more complex than Water-cooled.
You need a local Machinist to measure & machine your block & heads.
Napa & Carquest both do VW machine work here, so try to keep it local so you can pick their brains when needed! Confused
Study: How to Rebuild Your Volkswagen Air-Cooled Engine by Tom Wilson.
Wilson hopefully prevents US from asking redundant engine questions? Wink
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a “build thread” how to Reply with quote

Buy and read Tom Wilson’s book and maybe the John Muir book before you even start. These are good roadmaps for where you are going. You may need a few out of the ordinary tools and depending on how many engines you are going to build maybe subcontract out building the crank and setting end play. Read my build thread, there’s more than one to see some pictures. To really drill down go to performance forum and look at the many builds in sticky section. Very Happy it’s not that hard, go for it you’ve got ready support here. Very Happy
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a “build thread” how to Reply with quote

Put your build topic in the Engine/Performance forum. You'll get the best answers there.

READ, READ, READ as much before.

Ask questions, then only "stupid" question is the one you don't ask.

Give details and post pictures whenever possible.

And DON'T ASSume that everything you read is true. After all, this is the Interweb, you might get info from less than knowledgeable sources.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting a “build thread” how to Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Thread started!
I’m scurred to be honest!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a “build thread” how to Reply with quote

Yes it seems intimidating but broken down into sections or tasks it becomes easier. First is assessing what you want stock or modified and most importantly budget. Be ready for surprises you may need to replace parts you have not budgeted for such as the case. If you have room it may be beneficial to buy a good used complete core engine to have spares. Next up is having a nice place to work, having a workbench with a bench vise is a plus. Contrary to popular opinion you don’t need an engine stand. The vise functionality outweighs the one trick pony engine stand every time.

Muir’s book has a good listing of the tools you’ll need. A way to clean the filthy parts is also needed, dicking around with water based cleaners is tedious and time consuming, I’ve seen people bundle up their mess and bribe someone with 20 bucks or so to use a real parts washer and this also frees you disposal of waste products. You’ll be needing a few special tools along the way, is it cost effective to buy them new or used? Loaner tools such as torque wrench is iffy. It will be tempting to buy cheap no name tools but if you ever need to sell they will be nearly worthless. All of this and more needs to be considered.

Owning a VW means making a commitment to either working on the car or paying someone else to do it for you. Are you ready for that?
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Starting a “build thread” how to Reply with quote

Give me a PM or call. I will set you straight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: