Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Movin' on up (is there a 356 in your future)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deltabrent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Movin' on up (is there a 356 in your future) Reply with quote

I honestly ask this question, or kind of question, about almost everything old. I deal in antiques as a side business to afford cars and parts and holidays. I'm watching as older collectors are teetering on the edge of unloading everything and see an inevitable tidal wave of everything old hitting the market and a very limited group of people waiting to buy it. Porcelain signs, gas and oil, motorcycles, classic cars, antique cars, antiques of every description etc. are all hoarded by elderly people who view this as an investment. I discuss it regularly and am already seeing it happen. I've been into two life time collections that are all of a sudden up for sale. There will be lots more so get ready and have some money ready!
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Movin' on up (is there a 356 in your future) Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Funny thing is since I posted this I've seen a lot of 356 guys buying buses!

They can’t help trading up.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Movin' on up (is there a 356 in your future) Reply with quote

A Porsche is just a glorified Volkswagen! Razz
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Movin' on up (is there a 356 in your future) Reply with quote

pyrOman wrote:
A Porsche is just a glorified Volkswagen! Razz

Lots of truth in that.

But to trade for a late 60's early 70's 911 Think Drool Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Douglas Denlinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Movin' on up (is there a 356 in your future) Reply with quote

Traded in my former 356 to purchase rental real estate.

Active 23 Window Samba Collector/Restorer,since 1986
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Movin' on up (is there a 356 in your future) Reply with quote

deltabrent wrote:
I honestly ask this question, or kind of question, about almost everything old. I deal in antiques as a side business to afford cars and parts and holidays. I'm watching as older collectors are teetering on the edge of unloading everything and see an inevitable tidal wave of everything old hitting the market and a very limited group of people waiting to buy it. Porcelain signs, gas and oil, motorcycles, classic cars, antique cars, antiques of every description etc. are all hoarded by elderly people who view this as an investment. I discuss it regularly and am already seeing it happen. I've been into two life time collections that are all of a sudden up for sale. There will be lots more so get ready and have some money ready!

If you had to predict the future based on the past what will the new generations choose to purchase since grandma and gramps stuff is, yawn, boring? Walkmen, Speak-and-Spell or more recent stuff like lithium hover board or 3D gaming?
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Movin' on up (is there a 356 in your future) Reply with quote

To be honest, I would love a 356...but, I would not get rid of my Bus to do it. The 356 for me would not likely be a real one either. More of a "Kit" with Red 9 suspension on air and a Subaru STI mid engine set up, all clothed in flat painted outlaw coupe.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I guess I'm a hybrid...I like the old style, but not the old performance.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Movin' on up (is there a 356 in your future) Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
To be honest, I would love a 356...but, I would not get rid of my Bus to do it. The 356 for me would not likely be a real one either. More of a "Kit" with Red 9 suspension on air and a Subaru STI mid engine set up, all clothed in flat painted outlaw coupe.

Gordo.

I dare you to say "356 & Subaru" three times in a row to see what shows up. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Movin' on up (is there a 356 in your future) Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
flemcadiddlehopper wrote:

Gordo.

I dare you to say "356 & Subaru" three times in a row to see what shows up. Wink

I'll say "who is BeetleJuice" for $500. Idea

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Movin' on up (is there a 356 in your future) Reply with quote

I love my '57 356A, and I paid less for it than what some buses of a similar vintage are going for. I sold my '56 Ghia and '52 bug to trade up.

Kinda weird that I ended up with 3 1957 cars, all with sunroofs

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Movin' on up (is there a 356 in your future) Reply with quote

Years back, I traded a 55 single for a 54 coupe project. Still have the coupe project. Happy with the trade. Plenty of single cabs still out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Movin' on up (is there a 356 in your future) Reply with quote

mr white wrote:
Years back, I traded a 55 single for a 54 coupe project. Still have the coupe project. Happy with the trade. Plenty of single cabs still out there.

SCORE!
All I've ever been able to find in my budget is B coupes, though they are great driving cars.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Movin' on up (is there a 356 in your future) Reply with quote

Interesting to see this thread resurface.
A year or so after I posted in this thread, I sold my 15 window to a worthy steward in Belgium. That transaction financed a significant portion of a 62 356 B for me.
The car came out of Redding California and had been neglected, but not really abused.
i was a little scared of it as I had never worked on Porsches, but it soon became apparent that it was designed by the same engineers and was very much like working on a VW.
As a 62 normal, it is likely the most reviled of 356's. No Super 90, no sunroof, no discs, original interior, mediocre paint - the kind of car that the 356 snobs "dismiss".
That is one of the reasons I really like it. It is a driver, not a trailer queen or the result of writing cheques for work done. I can drive it to the grocery store or to Vancouver with no fear of bug splat, rock chips or door dings.
Drive it, break it, fix it to quote UZI
I can drive my SC in the morning, and people look at me like I'm homeless- drive the 356 in the afternoon and experience fawning expressions of reverence from the very same people. An interesting experience!
Bottom line - It is a REALLY fun car to drive.
Driving the buses is a unique experience, as you all know, and I can't imagine not having a bus, but there is more to the driving experience than just buses..
Eventually, they will all be sold off, as I age and the fire in my belly wanes, but the 356 will likely be the last to go.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Movin' on up (is there a 356 in your future) Reply with quote

Riff Raff wrote:
...as I age and the fire in my belly wanes...

Long live belly fire.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Movin' on up (is there a 356 in your future) Reply with quote

deltabrent wrote:
^^^Truth.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Movin' on up (is there a 356 in your future) Reply with quote

deltabrent wrote:

Great question, and this is something I think about regularly too. As a 30 year old I just dont have any friends my age into vintage cars. That is not saying they dont exist but they are not common. I have a new Golf R too and even new performance cars are not seemingly that popular amongst people my age. People are interested in experiences and technology driven purchases. To most a car is simply an appliance. It is going to be really interesting to see what happens over the next couple of decades. So many hoards of cars are owned by guys in their 60s and 70s today. I just dont see the market there to absorb all of that inventory over the next 20 years without prices falling.

As a guy with two buses I have said this before. I welcome the price drops, even if that means the stuff I bought loses value. Even though the interest amongst young people isnt as strong as it might have been 20 or 30 years ago there are still people who do want these old cars, especially buses but just cant afford to get into the hobby.

I dont know. We will see what happens I suppose.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: