Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Will have 100 idle air holders to try on Wednesday.

Pulled the plugs to check them. 300 miles on them. Ngk D7ea.

I Put a set of D8ea gaped to .040 one step colder. Any advice on the plug reading? Just idled into the garage. #4 is on the left.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Just skimmed this thread. Your car is magnificent! The understated styling paired with mind blowing air cooled power is brilliant. My pants just got a little tighter. Well done Applause Applause Applause Applause

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:

I Put a set of D8ea gaped to .040 one step colder. Any advice on the plug reading? Just idled into the garage. #4 is on the left.

The three right plugs are looking close, more brown than black. #4 still looks rich.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

I think you will have better luck with .025" plug gap. I've seen a lot of problems if things are not perfect, with larger plug gaps. Just a tip.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

just idling away is hard to get a gauge of how things are burning off-idle, in my experience.

I run 4xEGT and 4xO2 sensors in my megasquirt setup, and on idle things do not burn very evenly (mostly on the 3-4 side, think of the firing order) if you have any time of balance tube between the cylinders.

i've gone down the rabbit hole a couple of times trying to "fix" the uneven idle. I've swapped everything between cylinders, compression tests, leak down tests, messing around with different gaps, changed coils, change wires, everything i can think of, and it never seems to change the result.

but i'm no expert on things, so ymmv
KROC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:

Here you go.

http://wallaceracing.com/plug-reading-lm.html
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

I had a few calls in to help find oil spray bars, nobody came through, so I am building a set with Dave’s help.

Had to clearance the side support barely on one end, marked to drill the 1 mm holes or 40 thousands. going to do that tomorrow.
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Drilled 4 holes in each bar and cleaned them out/deburred then welded the end closed. Installing later tonight. Plumbing later next week

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

You might want to redo the weld in the image of the upper spray bar. It's sunk in a bit and may restrict the oil flow. The weld is kinda under cut and may break in the long run.
Just sayin!

Great car and thread. Thanks for posting your build triumphs and tribulations.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Good observation. We ran a rod down both to de burr and It cleared to the fitting. It will be fine. We also did a flow test with the solvent tank and air hose and they all flowed the same. I would like to get it plumbed this week but I don’t think Tom has the time. I need to ask and he is getting their new engine finished up for the dragster.

Jets came from john today and I want to play with those also. 100 idle air holders and 65 idle jets.

King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
It appears you are metering the progression and main circuit at the same time, overlap.

Rather than make the mains come in later, try petering out the progression earlier. Instead of 70/130 on the idle/idle air, try 60/100, or 55/100. Or 110 idle air, you get the idea. This won't supply as much fuel/air to that circuit, and may solve the problem. You may have these jets lying around already to play with.

Ok, so I went to 100 air idle with a 55 jet. goes to 17 when coming off idle to transition with a stumble , still idles at 10. Should I go to a larger main? its a 180 with 185 air, F2 and 46 vents, That or I can go to a 60, or 65 idle.

In for the night, will be trying options tomorrow morning.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Or try a 200 main air to come in sooner. Can also try a 60/100 idle/idle air

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Went to:

100 idle air
60 idle
180 main
200 air
F2 .0010 thinner
46 vents

Almost no stumble. Now the plx gauge is dead. Has power to the box but nothing on the gauge. I’m leaving the jetting for now. Can’t do pulls in 3rd gear then pull a plug without pissing everyone off in a mile circle. This thing is crazy loud when it’s in the power band. Guy at Home Depot said it sounded like a corvette. More like a loud Harley to me. Sets off every alarm I pass.

I might be going with a Bosch starter. The imi is starting to give me trouble. Grinding every other time isn’t going to work for me. It was fine for 300 miles. Does anyone know the part # for a Bosch that works in a 091 tranny?
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:

. . . . Can’t do pulls in 3rd gear then pull a plug without pissing everyone off in a mile circle. This thing is crazy loud when it’s in the power band. Guy at Home Depot said it sounded like a corvette. More like a loud Harley to me. Sets off every alarm I pass. . . . .

LOL I love this, this is how it should be!!! Razz
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

So the rain stayed away today to go test one time. Dave had a stock bus starter that i borrowed to see if it would fit around the roll cage, It does. Going to take the IMI back to them and see if they have a solution. I will be putting a new bosch http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Bosch-SR-87-Starter-R...m?CartID=1

The jetting seems to be getting better. still no AFR gauge.

100 idle air
60 idle
180 main
210 air
F2 .0010 thinner
46 vents

I will be driving it tomorrow and see how it runs once it is hotter. when The oil gets over 190 is when I know the heads are hot and I have heard pinging when taking off. The oil sprayers will help this, how much we will see.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

ivkings4 wrote:
So the rain stayed away today to go test one time. Dave had a stock bus starter that i borrowed to see if it would fit around the roll cage, It does. Going to take the IMI back to them and see if they have a solution. I will be putting a new bosch http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Bosch-SR-87-Starter-R...m?CartID=1

The jetting seems to be getting better. still no AFR gauge.

100 idle air
60 idle
180 main
210 air
F2 .0010 thinner
46 vents

I will be driving it tomorrow and see how it runs once it is hotter. when The oil gets over 190 is when I know the heads are hot and I have heard pinging when taking off. The oil sprayers will help this, how much we will see.

Back in the day I was plagued with pinging in a little 1776 and I never could get rid of it. I think a perpetual vacuum leak at one of the Dellorto 40 manifold to head joints and maybe too much fly-cutting of the heads didn't help matters.

I wonder if adding either a) more cooling capacity or b) adding some vp racing fuel (if you aren't already running it) would help with the pinging?

Everything I've heard and been told leads me to say that any pinging is bad and should be dealt with very quickly, which I know you are attempting to do. Can't wait to see how those sprayers work. Good luck!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Pinging when hot I'd first try to pull out advance at the RPMs the pinging is occurring (slow the curve). Remember combustion speed increases as temps rise.

King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

I am running torco accelerator octane boost with 91. No pinging in the first 20 min. So I think it’s heat related.

I have timing locked out at 31 with a crank trigger. The Start/step let’s me retard timing up to 15 degree with the flip of a switch. It’s set at 5 degrees now and I have used it, I still hear it but not as bad. How much timing can I take out and still have it run ok??

Is there something else I can add to the 7AL to make the curve more automatic?

Thanks for the advice.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

what fuel? Just slow the curve down, you don't have to retard the total. If it's pinging at 2200-2800 don't retard it above that.

King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

91 pump gas with torco accelerator. Adds 4 to the 91. I don’t have the ability to change the curve. I will need to add something or go to a different MSD box.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Page 33 of 84

Jump to: