Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thule Airscreen: Anyone have one?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Thule Airscreen: Anyone have one? Reply with quote

I'm looking at these air deflectors. Anyone using one? If so, what size? Thanks

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof-rack/roof-rack...-_-1689692
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Thule Airscreen: Anyone have one? Reply with quote

ha! im making one right now for my roof rack(it was humming something fierce) does this also cut down on drag? im putting my shop logo on it Smile
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Thule Airscreen: Anyone have one? Reply with quote

Yeah my roof rack was making some noise on my Syncro, like a large guitar string. I had a Thule air deflector on my Jetta and it made it quieter.

Got ur PM Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Thule Airscreen: Anyone have one? Reply with quote

Anytime you can direct the airflow up & over or around instead of through you are going to get less noise and mpg you'll probably never be able to measure!

For anyone making their own design. It is best to use Lexan instead of Plexiglass. Lexan is 300 times stronger then Plexiglass.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Thule Airscreen: Anyone have one? Reply with quote

Ah, I see they have changed to S, M, L, XL nomenclature - if I recall correctly, it used to always be by width. Anyways... in the details, it gives the width in inches of each size (apologies if you'd seen that already).

We have 38" (M) for our Golf Sportwagen - this goes between the factory rails. Previously, we had a 44" (M) for our rack with feet (as opposed to factory rails). This spanned the roof of our Mazda Protege5.

I suspect you could choose either L (44") or XL (52"), with XL being the most likely. But... get that measuring tape out Smile Also, check your local Craigslist/Kijiji too!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Thule Airscreen: Anyone have one? Reply with quote

I've used both the Thule and Saris screens on their racks on other vehicles before I got my Westy and they worked to reduce noise. Plexi is kinda brittle and drilling mounting holes will weaken it further.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: