Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door handle size mystery
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject: Door handle size mystery Reply with quote

So weird, I ordered 2 door handles, and they both arrived in boxes with the exact same part numbers on them - each handle was identical except that one of them was 6 or 7mm shorter than the other. The shorter one would not fit on the van.

I took the short one back to my parts guy, and he looked it up and told me that the product description states that this handle is good for all years of T3s frm '79 - to '92 (or whatever). My first thought had been that, like the slider door handle, there is a later version which is 6mm shorter??? But it seems not? ...or is there?

The handle only cost $7 (!) and for this money my parts guy doesn't want to bother with a 'return'... so we will just order another one and hope > but I am curious what the explanation for this might be.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Door handle size mystery Reply with quote

Does the part number on the box match the part number on the actual handle? As I recall, it's cast into the hidden back side of the handle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Door handle size mystery Reply with quote

There are 2 sizes of SLIDER DOOR handle, depending on model year.

80-84 longer

85-92 shorter

The tip on the later shorter handle can contact the door when fitted to the earlier vans.

I think the length difference is greater than 6 or 7 mm but haven't measured.

Mark

Last edited by crazyvwvanman on Thu May 16, 2019 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Door handle size mystery Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
There are 2 sizes of handle, depending on model year.

80-84 longer

85-92 shorter

The tip on the later shorter handle can contact the door when fitted to the earlier vans.

I think the length difference is greater than 6 or 7 mm but haven't measured.

Mark

I was sure that must be the answer... it seems obvious that in 85 they shortened all the door handles. It is weird that they list it as one size which fits all years > then they make 2 sizes but give them both the same part number.

Does anyone know if the part number actually changed when they shortened the handles in '85?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Door handle size mystery Reply with quote

Are you asking about the front door outer handles? I though only the sliding door handle was shortened up. I’ve swapped front door handles and must have been lucky to have matching versions. I learn something new about every day here.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Door handle size mystery Reply with quote

Sorry, I was talking about slider handles, not front door handles.

Mark
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Door handle size mystery Reply with quote

huh!? So how can it be that I was given 2 handles - same number on the boxes - identical in all ways but one is 6 or 7mm shorter than it should be?
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Door handle size mystery Reply with quote

front door handles were the same all year.
probably the manufacturer (in china) put golf/rabbit handle in T3/Vanagon packaging.
Take your current with you and choose the one that matches yours. I assume the loger ones are the good
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Door handle size mystery Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
probably the manufacturer (in china) put golf/rabbit handle in T3/Vanagon packaging.

Yes my guess was that they put a Golf or Jetta handle into the wrong box... my parts guy is too busy to do the paperwork required for a "return", so when the new one comes tomorrow, if it is the correct size, I will just buy it and swallow the $8 for the short one... but if it is another short one I will refuse it. Fair enough Smile
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Door handle size mystery Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
Take your current with you and choose the one that matches yours. I assume the loger ones are the good

That's what I was thinking. Or a subsequent purchaser did a swap and return to stock which is also likely.

$7??? Does that include a lock core and key???

$7 but out of stock...
https://www.hansautoparts.com/251837205DoorHandle.aspx

$39 and in stock...
https://www.gowesty.com/product/handles-trim/2228/front-door-handle-with-keys-

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Door handle size mystery Reply with quote

yep $7.... all inclusive. High quality I'd say. They seem to have plenty in stock >
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Door handle size mystery Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
yep $7.... all inclusive. High quality I'd say. They seem to have plenty in stock >

Prosim, kde?

My old CZ trying to come out - "Please, where?" .....are you finding this handle source? I need a long slider handle.

Ondrej in New Mexico

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Door handle size mystery Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
epowell wrote:

Prosim, kde?

My old CZ trying to come out - "Please, where?" .....are you finding this handle source? I need a long slider handle.

Ondrej in New Mexico

Nazdar Ondrej... I have no idea, my parts guy orders them. If you want I can order you one or 50, but then there is shipping....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: